Compas Floating Geocoin Idea

FrogMastr

I am looking all the way trought the webs to find something but haven`t found it yet.

I am looking for a Floating Geocoin that would be made out of woot or light floating plastic depicting a Compass Rose with a needle magnet inside it .. that when placed inside a Cup of liquid would work as a compass...

But i really had no luck finding it or finding a place to have it made....

the nearest i have found are those... http://www.compassrosegeocoin.com/ but unable to find any floating with a magnet in them that would make the functionnal in cup of water...

05-coin-nic-map-250.jpg

Thats a cool idea for a coin. May be hard to do out of metal and get it to float without making it overly thick.

Most "functional" geocoins are spinners of one type or another. Most are ROT 13 spinners.

If you really want a functional coin like that you'll probably have to make it yourself. It would be a pretty cool signature item. Or maybe you can talk to some of the people who design and have coin made on a regular basis and see if they would be willing to collaborate on the design.

The Fifth Anniversary Compass Coin had a movable compass in the middle that floats in liquid. However the compass was decorative only, not for navigational purposes. Also the coin was something like 4 or 5mm thick so it was a heavy sucker. Not exactly what you were asking about but ... getting there. I will post a pic shortly.

Compassrose.jpg

Edited by Droo

We just did something similar to that with the Cub Scouts on our last camping trip. We magnetized a needle and floated it on a leaf in the woods to see if it pointed north. Teaching the kids how to make a compass when they are lost and need to find a bearing. What your looking for may be something similar to that. Now to make it as a trackable coin type object is going to be a bit more difficult. Problem you will have is then you get them to magnetize the items they may not do it correctly and not all of the trackables will point north. Another problem you may have is that the metal coins sink and dont float, making it from work may allow it to float but then all your really doing is a wooden nickel with a compass rose on it with a piece of metal inside partially magnetized. Or same thing in a plastic version, but you would not be able to add any color into it.

Good Luck,

Matt

Socalgeocoins.com