[FEATURE] Show multiple pocket queries simultaneously

mamoreb

Summary: Allow display of caches from multiple downloaded pocket queries at the same time. This could be done by using checkboxes to enable/disable pocket queries.

Rationale: The area that I "spontaneously" cache in, has more than 1000 geocaches. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I would love to have access to all those caches at the same time. I have tried splitting the area into a bunch of smaller geographical zones, but with the circular PQ zones, I regularly find that I miss caches. Geocaching in the border areas between PQs is a mess.

Most geocachers that I talk to, build PQs based on dates. The first 950 published in the state in one PQ, the next 950 in a second PQ, etc. With that method, you don't miss caches. Of course, this doesn't work with the Android app at all.

So far, my solution is to use GeoHunter, but I really want to be able to use the official app.

mpilchfamily, I am sure that you are right, but I consider your solution a workaround, not a feature.

Many geocachers are not familiar with GSAK, and (I think) particularly not those who only geocache with a smartphone.

Other apps do this without problem, and I think it would be a clever addition to the official app.

Aren't you able to use GSAK to sort multiple PQs into a single file and sort them as needed? Once you have created a single .gpx file in GSAK you can upload it to the site where you can download the file like it was a regularly generated PQ.

http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/saved.aspx

Funnily enough I just worked out how to do this before seeing this thread :D feeling rather pleased with myself, I agree it is a workaround though, still feeling smug. Not having much involvement in databases before I found GSAK a bit daunting but help and instruction files certainly got me to manage the basics, incidently I use only a smart phone.

Edited by The Real Boudica.

So I'm guessing you must be 'spontaneously' caching in an area with no data access?

Sometimes I do - and in the country where I live, data access is rather costly. I understand that this is not the case in the USA, which is probably why this feature isn't highly requested/prioritized.

Since the app has the ability to store pocket queries offline, data access or no data access is not really the question.

...data access or no data access is not really the question.

Actually it is, since I have never felt the need to load even one PQ .gpx file. I just tap 'Find Nearby Caches', and away I go to the twenty nearest. :)

I do see the conceptual usefulness of what you are asking for, since I frequently load 'all the caches I haven't found in Arizona' into CacheMate.

I doubt any currently produced phone has the processing power to make this actually work, though.

This is one of the features I miss from GeoBeagle. When traveling in an area with unreliable data connectivity, I would load a "nearest caches" PQ that included only non-puzzle caches, and a "solved unfound puzzles" PQ that included the puzzle caches that I had solved. I liked being able to see the nearest solved unfound puzzles right alongside the nearest non-puzzle caches.

This feature would be very nice. Maybe even just an option to search all my pocket queries when I go to look for nearby caches. Even in the US, there are a lot of rural areas where cell service is non-existent so the current search for nearby caches feature is useless.

No? OK, how about a "declined"?