Too many micros!

Cache-machine

My philosophy is this...if there are certain types of caches you don't like, then don't go look for them. This fun hobby has something for everybody's interest and not everybody enjoys all aspects. I personally appreciate anybody who takes the time to hide caches for us to find. Yes, there are some caches I don't like as much as others, but I still appreciate it that somebody took the time to hide them. Lots of people don't enjoy puzzle caches or challenge caches or micros or long hikes or short hikes or whatever. I say, do the things you enjoy and just ignore the rest. But don't place a judgement on those who enjoy aspects of the game that you don't care for.

My philosophy is this...if there are certain types of caches you don't like, then don't go look for them. This fun hobby has something for everybody's interest and not everybody enjoys all aspects. I personally appreciate anybody who takes the time to hide caches for us to find. Yes, there are some caches I don't like as much as others, but I still appreciate it that somebody took the time to hide them. Lots of people don't enjoy puzzle caches or challenge caches or micros or long hikes or short hikes or whatever. I say, do the things you enjoy and just ignore the rest. But don't place a judgement on those who enjoy aspects of the game that you don't care for.

Well said. I agree with this.

Well, I see I may have hit a nerve. Unintended I assure you. I am not really complaining that there are micros. They have their place especially in densely populated areas. They bring you to places you would never visit otherwise.

I will live and let live. However, I, myself think they being placed for NO other reason than to record a find is NOT geocaching. To go out and sign tiny scraps of paper one after another sometimes by the hundred is not geocaching.

If that's what turns your crank, GO FOR IT! Just my 2cents for what it's worth. Not much since it seems many enjoy this sort of "caching".

I wanted to rant a bit and ask others what they think.

I find it annoying that so many micros (this includes power trails) are being placed for NO other reason than to inflate someones numbers.

I feel it cheapens the sport. I simply filter them out so it's not that big a deal but still. What say you?

This is an old topic but I agree. Just look at the addition of 'Microcaching' as a business decision by Groundspeak to expand the activity and membership to gain more $$. It's not going away. The unfortunate aspect is that the saturation of micros in urban areas that can take away the placement of funner and more creative hiding spots (528ft rule). Basically they can eliminate room for caches with more of a purpose. Just play caches that give you the most joy. For the rest let them, they will enjoy their 2500+ a day 'Film Can Behind the Power Pole' power trails. More power trails to them. :laughing:

Edited by TorgtheViking

Well, I see I may have hit a nerve. Unintended I assure you. I am not really complaining that there are micros. They have their place especially in densely populated areas. They bring you to places you would never visit otherwise.

I will live and let live. However, I, myself think they being placed for NO other reason than to record a find is NOT geocaching. To go out and sign tiny scraps of paper one after another sometimes by the hundred is not geocaching.

If that's what turns your crank, GO FOR IT! Just my 2cents for what it's worth. Not much since it seems many enjoy this sort of "caching".

No nerves were hit. This is just a subject that has been beat to death over and over and over and over. Micros will be here to stay. Just like the Power Trails. Some people just like them. If it's not for you then don't do them. Why waste your time complaining about them. Do a thread seach and you will find many threads on micros and people the will agree with you. But in the end micros will still be here. Why.........because they are cheap and easy to hide.

The best thing about geocaching is you are in charge how you play and there are many ways to play this game. Just because your opinion about geocaching is different from other cachers does not mean it's not geocaching. It's ALL geocaching. My $.02.

No nerves were hit. This is just a subject that has been beat to death over and over and over and over. Micros will be here to stay. Just like the Power Trails. Some people just like them. If it's not for you then don't do them. Why waste your time complaining about them. Do a thread seach and you will find many threads on micros and people the will agree with you. But in the end micros will still be here. Why.........because they are cheap and easy to hide.

The best thing about geocaching is you are in charge how you play and there are many ways to play this game. Just because your opinion about geocaching is different from other cachers does not mean it's not geocaching. It's ALL geocaching. My $.02.

+1

+1

Micro caches are O K if they are put in the right type of terrain, I looked for a micro on an island in the middle of a river, I made several visits, and looked for many hours, and never did find it. It was a bad place to hide a micro.

Edited by Flyboy235

+1

Micro caches are O K if they are put in the right type of terrain, I looked for a micro on an island in the middle of a river, I made several visits, and looked for many hours, and never did find it. It was a bad place to hide a micro.

Really, though, that could be true for any type of cache. We've looked for a long time at regular size caches that were well hidden, as well.

+1

Really, though, that could be true for any type of cache. We've looked for a long time at regular size caches that were well hidden, as well.

This island is on the Colorado River between California and Arizona, I used my kayak to get to it. Believe it or not it had bamboo growing on it. I believe I could have found a regular sized cache anywhere on this island, but a micro just disappears in this type of terrain. I am new to Geocaching, maybe I'm not good enough, but I have found a few micros that were well hidden. You just had to be there for this one. This cache was placed 8/19/2010 and has not been found yet.

I like pistachio ice cream. But it doesn't seem to be very popular. It's really hard to find stores that sell it. Most have chocolate and vanilla and maybe one or two other flavors. I think the stores should carry more flavors - not everyone likes chocolate or vanilla. Too much chocolate and vanilla cheapens the ice cream experience :mmraspberry:

Micros get a lot of a bad press. Some people like finding regular containers with swag or the opportunity to move a travel bug. Some have small children who like the "treasures" they find in larger caches and are disappointed when they find a micro. Some feels that micros are only good for urban hides where a larger container won't last, and think that a micro in the wilderness is taking up space that could have been used for a larger container. Some just find micros hard to find.

Micros are hidden by cache hiders who like finding micro caches. Sure, the decision to use a micro might be influenced by cost or the easy of carrying a micro over carrying a regular container. Perhaps these are favored by cachers who hide lots of caches; and thus the impression that they are "hidden only to increase numbers". Aren't all caches are hidden to increase someone's numbers? If there are too many micros, it may because they are popular with many cachers - like chocolate and vanilla. It's easy if you're a premium member to filter out micro caches. I wish it were as easy to filter out the stores that don't have pistachio ice cream.

I like pistachio ice cream. But it doesn't seem to be very popular. It's really hard to find stores that sell it. Most have chocolate and vanilla and maybe one or two other flavors. I think the stores should carry more flavors - not everyone likes chocolate or vanilla. Too much chocolate and vanilla cheapens the ice cream experience :mmraspberry:

Micros get a lot of a bad press. Some people like finding regular containers with swag or the opportunity to move a travel bug. Some have small children who like the "treasures" they find in larger caches and are disappointed when they find a micro. Some feels that micros are only good for urban hides where a larger container won't last, and think that a micro in the wilderness is taking up space that could have been used for a larger container. Some just find micros hard to find.

Micros are hidden by cache hiders who like finding micro caches. Sure, the decision to use a micro might be influenced by cost or the easy of carrying a micro over carrying a regular container. Perhaps these are favored by cachers who hide lots of caches; and thus the impression that they are "hidden only to increase numbers". Aren't all caches are hidden to increase someone's numbers? If there are too many micros, it may because they are popular with many cachers - like chocolate and vanilla. It's easy if you're a premium member to filter out micro caches. I wish it were as easy to filter out the stores that don't have pistachio ice cream.

Pistachio ice cream is the BEST.

Let's be honest here...pistachio IS the best flavor. And to be really, REALLY honest, cheap vanilla really does cheapen the idea of ice cream.

I wish it were as easy to filter out the stores that don't have pistachio ice cream.

Wanna know what's even harder to find? Spumoni! C'mon!

but realistically...if stores ONLY had cheap vanilla, cheap chocolate, and ever now and then--> neopolitan (!!!), then ice cream gets old. And the idea of ice cream becomes boring. And everytime we talk of ice cream, we think of the gross one dimensional vanilla. And then we choose brownies or cake.

But every now and then, theres spumoni. Or sweddy balls. And then,.... ice cream is wonderous again.