Etrex 10 Basic Questions

ss20cc36

My legend died on me. Just up and quit, won't show anything but a blue line down the middle. As I do not have a lot of money to get a new gps, I am thinking about the etrex 10, mainly because the one thing I definately want is paperless caching and secondly because I like the 120.00 price. Does anyone know if I have to be a premium member in order to download the gpx files from geocaching.com to the etrex 10? And does anyone know if the etrex 10 is more similar to what my legend was like or is it more like the very basic etrex H? I know you can go color and better mapping with the etrex 20. Does the basemap with the etrex 20 have points of interest like gas stations and resturants? Over the weekend, I got to use the lowrance endura safari which spoiled me on the maps but everytime I would get within 36 feet of the coords, the thing would say "Your destination is reached" and I'm like no, no it's not. So although I like the map and the electronic compass, the ability to actually get within 2 or 3 feet of the coords is more important. It seems that to get the features the safari had, the nice map and the electronic compass, I would have to go to the etrex 30 and now we are talking out of my price range. So I think I will probably settle but only if I know for sure that I can have the hints and the description all downloaded on the etrex 10. Any thoughts, anyone?

the ability to actually get within 2 or 3 feet of the coords is more important

You won't get that consistently from any $120 - or even $1200 -- handheld GPS. And you don't really need it, no matter how neat you think it would be.

The eTrex 10 will be more like an eTrex H -- monochrome screen, limited basemap and no add-in mapping. But it does have a USB connection instead of RS-232 serial and the ability to load full cache details. The latter will require premium membership, unless you want to load them one at a time using the "Send To GPS" feature of the GC.com website.

I am speaking only from the published specs though. I have an eTrex 10 on order from REI, but don't expect to see it until some time next week.

Thank you all so much for the info. I will look forward to seeing anything you post about the etrex 10. I have decided that I will wait until the black friday ads come out to see if I can get a super deal on something a little more advanced but, if not, the etrex 10 is still the number one simply because of the price and the ability to paperless cache. Also, the 2 to 3 feet comment was a bit of hyperbole. But I know my legend would keep navigating whereas that lowrance literally stopped navigating at 36 feet out and told me I was there and even if I told it to "goto" again, it would simply repeat that the destination was reached. For geocaching, I need better than that, lol.

I see in your post that you, like many other Endura users, are not happy with the "destination reached" notification. This issue has been cured with the v1.5/1.5.1 updates. If your Safari's software version is v1.4 or earlier you can download the current 1.5.1 from here

To check which software version your unit is running: Turn it on, when the menu screen comes on, push the MENU button for 3-5 seconds. The "about" screen will appear. If it reads V1.5.94843 you should run the update. If it shows v1.4 you must download 1.5.1 (which includes the 1.5 enhancements).

To disable the "Destination Reached" notification go to SETTINGS >NAVIGATION > DESTINATION REACHED >ON/OFF.

If you have further questions you can PM me or post them to the topic, Lowrance Endura Support

Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to keep the facts on Endura straight.

Over the weekend, I got to use the lowrance endura safari which spoiled me on the maps but everytime I would get within 36 feet of the coords, the thing would say "Your destination is reached" and I'm like no, no it's not. So although I like the map and the electronic compass, the ability to actually get within 2 or 3 feet of the coords is more important. It seems that to get the features the safari had, the nice map and the electronic compass, I would have to go to the etrex 30 and now we are talking out of my price range.

Thank you for that info. The lowrance was not mine however, I simply got to use it. I purchased an etrex 10 but am currtenly having difficulty downloading all the paperless caching info. I expect to see if that issue can be resolved tonight. If it does not, I have to admit that if the destination reached feature was fixed in the lowrance, I might go back and consider it further. The only other problem would be that it is definately heavier than the etrex 10. But of course the 10 does not have the map, the compass, the altimeter, etc that the safari does. I will have to think on this further. Buying a new gps is soooooooooo difficult.

Edited by ss20cc36

You are welcome. FYI - There is also the Endura Out&Back, which is not as spendy as the Safari.

Thank you for that info. The lowrance was not mine however, I simply got to use it. I purchased an etrex 10 but am currtenly having difficulty downloading all the paperless caching info. I expect to see if that issue can be resolved tonight. If it does not, I have to admit that if the destination reached feature was fixed in the lowrance, I might go back and consider it further. The only other problem would be that it is definately heavier than the etrex 10. But of course the 10 does not have the map, the compass, the altimeter, etc that the safari does. I will have to think on this further. Buying a new gps is soooooooooo difficult.