Ghost cache owner removed my log

Slart1B

This is my very 1st posting to the Geocaching forum and it's a request for guidance by other members in dealing with a cache owner who's left me questioning why I should bother continuing with this sport.

I am new to this - I'm just starting out on something that I thought would be fun and a great way to do some exploring. I've got an iPhone4 and use it for this. So far so good, but this one site has left a very poor impression on me with regards to this sport.

The cache in question is: QUINTS - GCA4E4

In the description for the cache, the owner has stated "Before you log this cache please e-mail me what is written above the three white arrows on blue and is blue on white on the sign on the outside wall facing the parking lot."

I didn't email the owner as frankly my email address is none of their business. I object to exposing my personal information to some stranger for any reason. The terms of this cache site are objectionable and I have to wonder if they are even legal in todays day and age of information privacy. I now (didn't at the time) realize this was some "check" to see if users had actually been to the site.

The cache owner contacted me through the website and stated "In order to log QUINTS as found you are required to e-mail me the requirement listed on the QUINTS page. Failure to do so will have your log deleted.

HalVE1LV"

I've emailed support with the email from this person my objections to the cache requirements.

I did respond to HalVE1LV and said:

" I have forwarded your message along with my comments on it to member support for their feedback. I have privacy related issues with the "demand" to be emailed prior to logging a find and will allow Groundspeak to respond to my concerns directly.

FOR THE RECORD - I am NEW to this, was using my iPhone so had NO way to "email" you from the iPhone app - it does not allow for this action.

I will respond further once I hear back from support."

That was Oct 24th.

The next day support responded with "virtual caches are a grandfathered cache type with requirements that would not be publishable today". They also suggested I use Safari to log onto their website and send a message to the cache owner that way - granted an understandable response that is technically possible - if not difficult as there are no links out from the iPhone software so it's actually a pain to do all this.

Today - Nov 2 - I get an email advising me that the cache owner has removed my log.

I've re-contacted support asking to file a formal complaint about this.

Any suggestions from others? have anyone else had an issue like this?

For the record, I was visiting the area - I don't live close by so can't dance through this persons requirements - and frankly I don't think I should have to. If the terms of the cache site are against current Geocaching policies as they seem to be - shouldn't the cache owner update them to make the cache current or even just have the site archived?

any other thoughts?

Thanks for reading..

Sorry, but in this case you didn't read the cache listing and didn't follow the instructions.

The virtual cache type is grandfathered and requires the verification info because there is no physical logbook to sign. If Groundspeak was to remove all virtual caches, the outcry would be significant, so the existing ones are allowed to remain.

As support informed you, the technical means to email the cache owner without revealing your email address already exist on the site.

This should be a lesson to you to read, and understand cache descriptions in the future.

What the penguin said. This is how virtuals work, they're very different from "normal" geocaches (in fact, they're not geocaches at all, your experience clearly demonstrates that).

If you don't like virtuals for this or any other reason, you can just ignore them and not go for them. There's plenty of people out there who don't consider going for virtuals to be geocaching at all and you're welcome to join that crowd.

Edited by dfx

Who actually wastes their time deleting logs?

Unfortunately owners of virtuals are pretty much required to do so if they wish to keep their virtual alive. Otherwise the virtual might get archived for having an unresponsive/irresponsible owner and/or for allowing armchair logs.

If you go to the cache owners profile and choose send message, you can place the answer there. You will then see you have the option of "I want to send my email address along with this message." If you do not choose this option the other person will see you geocaching name as having sent them a message and it will be placed through the geocaching email system thus there is no way to gather you email info, eliminating the privacy concern. If they need to contact you back they can go to your profile and send a message via the same way.

Yes, virtual cache owners will delete a find log, if the info has not sent, as they have no way to confirm that you actually were at the location. If virtual cache owners are not active they risk having their cache archived for allowing it to become a cache log able by anyone with no checks in place.

I suggest you go to their profile, send them a message with the info and do not include your email address.

I didn't email the owner as frankly my email address is none of their business. I object to exposing my personal information to some stranger for any reason.

what is your email address johndoe50AnyStreetAnyCitySocialSecurityNumber222222homephone9998881111iworkatpizzapizzalicenceplatesAAAA111passportnumberxxxxxx@anyISP.com?

The terms of this cache site are objectionable and I have to wonder if they are even legal in todays day and age of information privacy.

any other thoughts?

illegal? seriously? :lol:

I didn't email the owner as frankly my email address is none of their business. I object to exposing my personal information to some stranger for any reason.

what is your email address johndoe50AnyStreetAnyCitySocialSecurityNumber222222homephone9998881111iworkatpizzapizzalicenceplatesAAAA111passportnumberxxxxxx@anyISP.com?

And yet the OP had no problems exposing their email address to Groundspeak (at the time, some stranger) to setup their Geocaching.com account .....

And yet the OP had no problems exposing their email address to Groundspeak (at the time, some stranger) to setup their Geocaching.com account .....

what i find amazing is that people think that giving out their email address means sharing personal information and violates their privacy, i would like to remind them of the days when the only way to get any info was by snail mail and unless you paid for a Post Office box you had to give out your home address

The terms of this cache site are objectionable and I have to wonder if they are even legal in todays day and age of information privacy.

any other thoughts?

illegal? seriously? :lol:

From someone who appears to be using initials and a last name as a username? :P

Seriously though, this just sounds like a case of someone using the Iphone app, and not realizing if you log onto the website on a computer and send an email, the option to email someone without exposing your email address is quite clearly displayed.

On the iPhone app on a cache info page you have the option to view on geocaching.com which will then pull the page up on the iPhone in a browser, sign in and go through the links to get to their profile and send message.

Being new to all this, I've just noticed that part of the iPhone app. I'll have to work with it some more.

Seriously though, this just sounds like a case of someone using the Iphone app, and not realizing if you log onto the website on a computer and send an email, the option to email someone without exposing your email address is quite clearly displayed.

Sounds like a good feedback topic to me

Add a message user function to the Geocaching App so players can email without exposing their email address (unless they want to) from a mobile device.

Geocaching will be very difficult if you refuse to ever email other players, since at times you will have to communicate with them for hints, and about cache conditions. You can create as many email addresses as you want with a service like Gmail which have no ties to you-- just make up a name when you sign up instead of putting your real name in the form. You can also send and receive emails through the site without revealing your email address. Visit the profile of your intended recipient on a desktop or laptop and find their email address or the Send Message link. Uncheck the "Send my email address along..." box.

LQ7iv.png

...was using my iPhone so had NO way to "email" you from the iPhone app - it does not allow for this action.

I have a BlackBerry and not an iPhone so don't quote me on this, but there should be a "Mail" app on your iPhone somewhere. Link to details