new gps or keep my geko?

I'm currently using a garmin geko which is a few years old now and itching for a new one. It's a mine field out there so need your help. Obviously it needs to be good for geocaching, I would also like it to be mountable on my mountain bike handle bars. I have the memory map software (os maps on cd) so maybe being able to use my new gps with it would be good?

I guess gps's have changed a lot since my geko was new but to be fair it works fine still. Takes an age to lock on though and does struggle under trees. It will would be a chrimbo prezzy to my self so why not :) Or perhaps they haven't advanced all that much?

So, what would be a good choice? Any good deals out there atm? I was thinking spending around £250 but don't have to go up to that. Do newer gps's gave built in maps or are they extra?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Rob.

Hi, I guess you should prepare yourself for a multitude of replies to your question...

I can only speak (with any real knowledge) about the Etrex Legend Hcx. I've had mine since I started caching in July last year, it does everything I ask of it... Cost me £170 at the time, but I've seen 'em a lot cheaper recently. Its probably a bit dated, particularly with Garmin's 3 new models now available. I did read (somewhere on this forum) that the mapping for them costs an arm & a leg...so ensure you gen-up before you makes yer choice.

Good luck with your search.

I've put together a comparison table of the Garmin and Magellan GPS receivers including an explanation of all the features they support including which maps they support. It doesn't make any recommendations but should give you an idea of the features available to help you choose. It also includes an approximate price guide too. Note that Memory Map 'maps' cannot be downloaded to either Garmin or Magellan GPS receivers though you can connect them and transfer routes and waypoints etc. There is an option with a suitable PC program to copy sections of the maps as image files to the GPS's.

http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/gps.html

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

I have been using an Oregon 200 for the last couple of years. I think it's superb, havnt had any issues with it, great for paperless caching and the Open Street Maps are pretty good also for free. The only thing with the Oregon 200 is that you have to be walling for the compass to work, and with poor reception can jump a bit, however with a separate compass soon sorts that one out.

I got mine for £140 I think 2 years ago so very good value for money.

The 'newer' GPS use more than 6 characters so you'll not have that problem. If you go for a 'paperless' one then you get the full cache name, GC number and full web page description including hints and attributes. If you go for the new Magellan eXplorist then you can also get the images from the cache page too.

Chris

couple more questions.

I take it modern gps's come with basic maps but can be upgraded on a micro card to proper OS maps?

If you go to a way point, do they still go as the crow flys or will the gps follow paths using the maps. This might seem a daft question to some but I'm used to a very basic gps which guides you using just an arrow and distance indication and points in a direct line to the way point.

The latest Etrex Vista/Legand & the GMPS Map60Cx/Csx can use either TOPO maps of the free Talky Toaster maps.

The Oregon/Colorado/Dakota/GPSMap62 range/Montana can use the OS type maps at 1:50000 scale or even custom maps at OS 1:25000 scale.

It depends on what quality or standard of map you want and of course your budget..

Yes if you get a routing map the gps will map the course using roads, and if you set it to pedestrian, paths as well. You can also have it so it routes as te crow flies, I use this function when there are no footpaths on the map and I want a rough estimation on how far away the point is, otherwise it routes using the closest road.

EDIT: I personally use the free Open Street Maps supplied by talkytoaster. They are constantly being updated, by user added information, what you have to bear in mind is that no map is totally accurate, even the O'S maps, paper or GPSr ones. And for the price of the OS maps I didn't think it was worth it.

Saying that it all depends on what device you want, they are all very similar in quality and functions, just different ways of using them.

Garmin were the first GPS devices to include paperless caching, an the Oregon series is named after the place in America where the first geocache was placed.

Edited by matt1988

I'm currently using a garmin geko which is a few years old now and itching for a new one. It's a mine field out there so need your help. Obviously it needs to be good for geocaching, I would also like it to be mountable on my mountain bike handle bars. I have the memory map software (os maps on cd) so maybe being able to use my new gps with it would be good?

I guess gps's have changed a lot since my geko was new but to be fair it works fine still. Takes an age to lock on though and does struggle under trees. It will would be a chrimbo prezzy to my self so why not :) Or perhaps they haven't advanced all that much?

So, what would be a good choice? Any good deals out there atm? I was thinking spending around £250 but don't have to go up to that. Do newer gps's gave built in maps or are they extra?

Thanks, Rob.

Depending on what features you want and how much of your budget you want to spend (and indeed if your budget is flexible enough to rise) there's a range of options.

One thing you will want is a high-sensitivity receiver. The Geko is an old unit now and, as you've said, struggles under tree cover and takes a while to lock. It's also likely to struggle in so-called urban canyons. If you're buying anything new you'll get a better receiver than the Geko.

A colour screen that supports mapping is a definite plus. Most units will come with a very basic base map which will show the major roads in vague outline but little more. It will give an overview of where roads like the motorways and primary A-roads run but may not do so with accurate detail. If you get a Garmin with t on the end (e.g. Oregon 400t, Montana 650t etc) you'll get a topographical map built in to the unit.

Personally I'd rather not pay the extra for a built-in map and add my own maps. I use the OSM maps provided by TalkyToaster - they aren't perfect but for the money (free) they're pretty close. Routing can be a bit hit-and-miss with them but as with anything else as long as you know the limitations you can work around them.

Paperless caching is also a hugely useful feature. Before I got my paperless unit I used to use both a GPS and smartphone - the GPS to get me where I was going and the smartphone to give me the details when I got there. Now I still carry my phone but don't have to keep switching back and forth between two units. It also lets you log field notes so you can jot something brief to remind you of the cache when you get back (otherwise I found it hard to remember which cache I put the TB in, which cache had the wet log etc).

One decision you will have to make is whether you prefer a touch screen (like the Dakota / Oregon / Montana), button-driven menus (like the 62 series) or wheels (like the now-discontinued Colorado). That's going to be a matter of preference, so if you get the chance have a play with both and decide which you like better.

A final point - some people (myself included) find touchscreens aren't always easy to read in direct sunlight. I scratched the Oregon from my list of possible purchases because I fiddled with one in a local outdoors shop and couldn't read it when the fluorescent lights hit it directly.

Thanks, Rob.

Depending on what features you want and how much of your budget you want to spend (and indeed if your budget is flexible enough to rise) there's a range of options.

One thing you will want is a high-sensitivity receiver. The Geko is an old unit now and, as you've said, struggles under tree cover and takes a while to lock. It's also likely to struggle in so-called urban canyons. If you're buying anything new you'll get a better receiver than the Geko.

A colour screen that supports mapping is a definite plus. Most units will come with a very basic base map which will show the major roads in vague outline but little more. It will give an overview of where roads like the motorways and primary A-roads run but may not do so with accurate detail. If you get a Garmin with t on the end (e.g. Oregon 400t, Montana 650t etc) you'll get a topographical map built in to the unit.

Personally I'd rather not pay the extra for a built-in map and add my own maps. I use the OSM maps provided by TalkyToaster - they aren't perfect but for the money (free) they're pretty close. Routing can be a bit hit-and-miss with them but as with anything else as long as you know the limitations you can work around them.

Paperless caching is also a hugely useful feature. Before I got my paperless unit I used to use both a GPS and smartphone - the GPS to get me where I was going and the smartphone to give me the details when I got there. Now I still carry my phone but don't have to keep switching back and forth between two units. It also lets you log field notes so you can jot something brief to remind you of the cache when you get back (otherwise I found it hard to remember which cache I put the TB in, which cache had the wet log etc).

One decision you will have to make is whether you prefer a touch screen (like the Dakota / Oregon / Montana), button-driven menus (like the 62 series) or wheels (like the now-discontinued Colorado). That's going to be a matter of preference, so if you get the chance have a play with both and decide which you like better.

A final point - some people (myself included) find touchscreens aren't always easy to read in direct sunlight. I scratched the Oregon from my list of possible purchases because I fiddled with one in a local outdoors shop and couldn't read it when the fluorescent lights hit it directly.

Good advice there, and I'd emphasise that GPS reception speed and consistency is what you'll notice most of all. I recently dug out my old Foretrex (same GPS receiver as the Geko) and did a few caches using that as well as my more modern GPSr. It's amazing how often the Foretrex lost satellite lock altogether, even in quite open areas; and you may as well turn it off in woodland. Whereas it has to be extremely heavy tree cover for the Legend to struggle and it rarely loses lock altogether.

I also use the Talkytoaster (OSM) maps and find them satisfactory for caching purposes. You can't beat an OS map for route planning and with the addition of a simplified map on the GPSr, a map section print and a route downloaded from Memory Map you don't really need anything more.

I was using the 60Csx with Garmin Topo maps but recently switched to the Oregon 450. I decided to buy it without maps and used TalkyToaster's map set instead......Absolutely superb, so glad I did.

I think I paid £220 for a 'Garmin refurbished' Oregon 450 and it was literally like a brand new unit, 12 months Garmin warranty too, couldn't be happier.

Was initially worried it wouldn't make me smile like the 60Csx but it does. The paperless caching is so useful.

Just to note that if you want to use OS maps check on the screen resolution.

My Colorado is playing up and I'm looking at some new options...the only ones with a similar resolution were the Oregon and Montana units (although I'm not keen on the touch screen)

I had a look (very briefly) at a cacher's 62 and wasn't impressed on the screen :(

Check the Garmin specs side by side :)

Before I sold the Oregon I tested them together.

In the open I could get the same standard of accuracy but once under tree cover the 62s won and that I put down to the helix aerial, the Oregon would start to drop out sooner than the 62s.

I have OS mapping and also load Custom Maps at 1:25k for the area I am going to.

We do quite a bit in the woods/under tree cover, the Colorado is great there and doesn't really drop satellites.

Like you I've 25K custom maps which look OK at 240 x 400px but the 62 is only 160 x 240px. I guess I need to look at some OS maps on the 62 'in the flesh' :)