Favourite coin/s

Mysteriousrose

Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum (I have been here about a week). I have been geocaching for 4 months now and I'm interested in coins.

I just got my first coin "The Fortune Favors the Bold" and I really love it, the colours and the design.

I would love to know what is your favourite coin/s and please post a picture if possible.

Thank you:-)

Here's my first coin:

258b4bdb-ccc2-4f66-beb4-079e94c890f0.jpg

It is really hard to pinpoint a favourite! Here is my favourite series:

0671-1_front.jpg0671-2_front.jpg

0671-3_front.jpg0671-4_front.jpg

These are the Delft Blau coins. They are not minted from metal like traditional coins but are porcelain. They were designed by a caching team in Holland and made by a world-renowned porcelain artist.

For more coin pics you can follow the 'Dutch' link in my signature

Edited by E&Cplus3

Thank you for asking so kindly.... there is something about the Internet that makes kind requests difficult to cobble together.

As you're new why not take a look at the "Mailbox thread"? People post pics of new arrivals from purchase or trade so both new and old coins are presented for salivating afficionados. It's a long thread, over 400 pages, so my link should take you to the end of the thread.

Another good thread is the "Top 5 Sought after coins". Not as long as the previous thread and no pics but you can get some ideas of what are the hottest out there.

Enjoy.

I do like the Tranquility geocoins, mainly for the inscription on the reverse. I'm not a religious person but I think this is a good sentiment:

"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature."

tranquility-blue-is-my-worl.jpg

MrsB

That's some amazing coins.

E&Cplus3: I didn't know that there existed coins in porcelain. I like that they're simple but very unik.

Droo: Thank you for letting me know about the links, I will check them out. It's always difficult when you join a new forum to find your way around. Help is always appreciated:-)

fuzziebear3: Thank you. I know I asked a difficult question, but the coin look very pretty. I love dolphins!

The Blorenges: I'm not a religious person either, but that is a great coin and a very good sentiment.

Hello and welcome to the forums. :)

I will echo what Droo said - it is a breath of fresh air to have someone come into the forums and be polite and use manners. I thank you for that. :)

Once upon a time geocoins were only made out of metals, but in 2007 (or may have even been 2008) some people started to experiment and sought approval from Groundspeak (the company who runs geocaching.com) to make geocoins from other substances.

I think the first alternatives were made from fired clay and they were huge compared to the standard geocoin.

But since then "geocoins" have been made from clay, porcelain, glass, sheet metal, wood, denim, and all sorts of other materials.

As for a favorite... there are so many, but the original earth turtles were pretty darn cool!

ab03dc78-ae0e-439e-8e7e-d34d7a689c5a.jpg

I will echo what Droo said - it is a breath of fresh air to have someone come into the forums and be polite and use manners. I thank you for that. :)

Once upon a time geocoins were only made out of metals, but in 2007 (or may have even been 2008) some people started to experiment and sought approval from Groundspeak (the company who runs geocaching.com) to make geocoins from other substances.

I think the first alternatives were made from fired clay and they were huge compared to the standard geocoin.

But since then "geocoins" have been made from clay, porcelain, glass, sheet metal, wood, denim, and all sorts of other materials.

As for a favorite... there are so many, but the original earth turtles were pretty darn cool!

Hi Keewee

Thank you, I will give it back. I think all of you are kind and helpful in your answers and I enjoy all the pictures. This really makes me feel welcome:-)

Great to get a little story on the geocoins, I know that you can find a lot of info on the internet, but it's special to hear these things from people who collect coins and enjoy being in a forum like this.

I can't wait to get a collection of my own;-)

Great coin!

a very biased choice, but it will allow me to introduce you to personal coins.

SANY0095-1.jpg

"Kathy's Coin" is a coin i had made for my wife...rather than worry about the details of the coin and its meaning for this post, if you have an interest, try goggling "Kathy's Coin".

the "imagine" geocoin and the "luck and protection" geocoins probably top my list of favorites, not only because of their design, but because they were sent to me at very low points in my life. they are mystery coins, a topic well covered by firefly03 here on the geocoin forum, certainly worth taking a look at...hopefully someone not so tech challenged (nice word for old) will be able to provide a link to the post.

IMG_NEW-1-7.jpg

imagine

coins0051-1.jpg

geocacher's luck and protection

ILYK
Edited by drneal

Hi Keewee

Thank you, I will give it back. I think all of you are kind and helpful in your answers and I enjoy all the pictures. This really makes me feel welcome:-)

Great to get a little story on the geocoins, I know that you can find a lot of info on the internet, but it's special to hear these things from people who collect coins and enjoy being in a forum like this.

I can't wait to get a collection of my own;-)

Great coin!

Check out the links at the bottom of my posts too - there might be something of interest in there for you. :)

a very biased choice, but it will allow me to introduce you to personal coins.

SANY0095-1.jpg

"Kathy's Coin" is a coin i had made for my wife...rather than worry about the details of the coin and its meaning for this post, if you have an interest, try goggling "Kathy's Coin".

the "imagine" geocoin and the "luck and protection" geocoins prbably top my list of favorites, not only because of their design, but because they were sent to me at very low points in my life. they are mystery coins, a topic well covered by firefly03 here on the geocoin forum, certainly worth taking a look at...hopefully someone not so tech challenged (nice word for old) will be able to provide a link to the post.

IMG_NEW-1-7.jpg

imagine

coins0051-1.jpg

geocacher's luck and protection

ILYK

Hi and welcome to the forum (one of the nicest places in the internet!!!!!)

I have a lot of favorite coins but let me start with the Tengwar coin. There are a lot of great versions (different color combos and also 2 different sizes). Here is the small red on gold version (picture taken from scavok):

tengwarredonounf4d7mcw.jpg

the "imagine" geocoin and the "luck and protection" geocoins prbably top my list of favorites, not only because of their design, but because they were sent to me at very low points in my life. they are mystery coins, a topic well covered by firefly03 here on the geocoin forum, certainly worth taking a look at...hopefully someone not so tech challenged (nice word for old) will be able to provide a link to the post.

I think this is the thread you are referring to... :)

mystery coin givers - a comprehensive list... ???

Wow there's a lot of beautiful coins.

drneal: Thank you for showing me. I can see that the personal coin comes from the heart that's wonderful.

I really like the imagine coin too!

Oh and thank you for mentioning the link (and thanks keewee for providing it), it diffinately looks like something I will have to check out.

keewee: I'm on my way to read your links:-)

yanagi: Thanks and I so agree with you;-) Another amazing coin, very pretty.

avroair: Love it! What is that coin called?

Edited by Mysteriousrose

I hope it is ok to post more than once:

I love the Imagine Peace coin too (see post from Drneal) and in fact this is my top sought after coin but with this post I would like to show a coin which is for sure one of my absolute favorite coins (if not the number one!!!!): the Carpe Diem Mystery Coin! I was honored to receive one of these coins and I love the powerful symbolism in it.

carpediemvrn9ak3ueg.jpg

One of my favorite coins is Odyssey Voyager Poseiden Edition:

DSC02505-1.jpg

It's really hard to target just one as the most favorite so here is a collection of some of my other favorites:

DSC02626-1-1.jpg

Spacegate Antique Silver

DSC02096-1-1.gif

Henry Morgan Pirate geocoin

DSC03240-1.jpg

Schrodinger's Geocoin AE edition

013-2.jpg

Astro Geocoin Midsummer Edition

DSC00960-1.jpg

Midnight Stargazer

Edited by scificollector

I hope it is ok to post more than once:

I love the Imagine Peace coin too (see post from Drneal) and in fact this is my top sought after coin but with this post I would like to show a coin which is for sure one of my absolute favorite coins (if not the number one!!!!): the Carpe Diem Mystery Coin! I was honored to receive one of these coins and I love the powerful symbolism in it.

carpediemvrn9ak3ueg.jpg

Gratiae!

Carpe Diem

These are my favorite coins because people gave them to me or I found them in caches.

a0e79efc-83a2-4195-bc03-eaa17698fa22.jpg

I am also a little biased on my glitter version because it was so difficult for the mint to make it. They did not want to make a second batch.

d13ef95d-9ab6-4c6c-8827-715f9f014cb8.jpg

I know what you mean, it's really special if someone gives you something as a gift. I love to find coins in caches, I have not have the fortune of finding any that's not been activated. Maybe someday...

Wow! I've missed a lot of really nice geocoin releases during the past two to three years.

One of my current favorites, though, is the very soon to be released 2011 Alaska Jade Geocoins. I'm admittedly biased, but out of all the Alaskan coin projects I've been involved with (at least nine), this one has required the most effort and is made almost entirely of Alaskan natural materials. The jade is from Alaska's Kobuk River Valley and the gold nuggets are from any number of locations around the state. Each coin is unique due to the natural color variations of the jade and the different appearance of each gold nugget.

2011jadefrontsm.JPG2011goldjadefrontsm.JPGLimitedEdgoldjadesm.JPG

Edited by Ladybug Kids