Cache Owner deleting Gallery photos - problem

MSalisbury

I own a cache that someone has posted a photo to the gallery. The photo shows the cache IN PLACE! I'm trying to remove the photo from my cache listing and am not seeing any buttons that allow me to edit the gallery listing. I've checked the "Edit Listing" section, but the gallery isn't included. I see no controls in the Gallery section either. What am I missing here?

Still can't get over someone taking a photo of the cache in place and posting it online, with a cute little note "Don't look! it might be a spoiler" - Really? Ya think?! :: Rolling eyes ::

Thanks in advance

The photo is part of the log. You cannot delete just a part of a log -- either all or none.

Two choices:

1) email the finder to delete and relog w/o that photo (be nice as maybe they didn't realize...), if there is any hesitation on their part, move on to #2;

2) delete and then email and ask the finder to relog w/o the photo (be nice and explain why)

The key to it all, is do explain to them they why. To do it and say nothing is... well, rude, crude and otherwise unfriendly. They should understand. If not, then you take the bull by the horns.

Good luck.

I agree to email them first asking them to remove the photo and if they do not comply to delete the log and ask them to repost without the photo.

In their defense, they really might not know the etiquette to logging a cache. We just started caching the end of June (of this year) and really didn't know any better. I guess it should have been common sense but then again, when we read the logs we see "Might contain spoilers" warning and saw many images of containers (mostly of them out of their hiding spot) so just thought it was common practice. We were caching from Kansas to Florida and back when we had just started. Upon arriving home from our trip I started reading the forums and quickly learned that we shouldn't post spoiler photos. I thought it was probably ok for containers that are described in detail (such as loc-n-loc and ammo cans) on the cache page as long as they are not in their hiding spot. I was just posting images of my kids holding the containers. I was just about to post some images of very unique containers and quickly realized that would ruin the experience for others. Now that we have cached for a while and I have read quite a bit in the forums I know what I should and shouldn't do. I also now have 5 hides and several others in the works. Two of the hides are ammo cans, one a pill bottle and the other two I can't say. I wouldn't care if someone posted pictures of the pill bottle and ammo cans as long as they aren't in their hiding spots. The other two I would not be very happy about it as it would definitely ruin the element of surprise and the experience for future finders.

So I guess I am saying to give the poster the benefit of the doubt and send them a very kind email explaining why it is bad form for them to post such images. If you are ok with them posting images of just the container itself you can also tell them that. I would also point out to them that the will find other containers that photos should NOT be posted because COs do not want those images posted and it would ruin the surprise for others. Some finders want to see the images and others don't. I only look for images (if there are any) if I am having a hard time finding the cache and don't know exactly what I am looking for.

I am sure this cacher will have no problem cooperating with your request.

One other idea for you: I now post on my cache pages (of my unique caches) a message asking people not to post any spoilers in any form such as photos or messages in their posts that would spoil the cache for others. One of our hides is a puzzle and I was clear about also not giving away any information on how to solve the puzzle. There have only been a few who have found that cache but everyone has respected my request. You might adding that to your page as well if you don't want images posted. Just an idea.

Good Luck,

SmallsKC

I'm with SmallsKC, send a tactful, gently worded email asking him to delete the photo. If it isn't deleted and you don't hear from him in a few days then go ahead and delete the log, then send a note explaining why you deleted it and inviting him to re-log without the photo.

"few days"? ... heck no, i'll give them 15 minutes

allowing "few days" will potentially ruin the experience for those that have not found it yet

i don't see why is it so hard to allow the CO to delete photos only :unsure:

Count me in here. My personal gripe is geotagged photos from the final of a multi or mystery. Seen too many of those recently. (Fun fact here: the ones I looked at which had "iPhone 3GS" as camera model in the EXIF header had their coords 3+ km off :lol:)

*cue spoiler-sharing debate thread*

That is to say, the recommended action is:

1) Contact the logger and request removal of the photo

2) If they resist, contact Groundspeak to take action

3) Result: removal of photo, or suspension of user, if Groundspeak considers their photo a spoiler

OT:

(Fun fact here: the ones I looked at which had "iPhone 3GS" as camera model in the EXIF header had their coords 3+ km off)

Blame the user!

/OT :P

Edited by thebruce0

I take a photograph at just about every cache we go to, if it is a micro i generally just photograph the logbook, if it's a good sneaky or really clever one, I just photograph my avatar near GZ.(and try not to include any background either) I usually take my cue as to what is allowed by the cache owner by looking at previous photos in the gallery of the cache page. and i always check the cache description before posting anything if they say no pics or spoilers i wont post any pics, It is not up to me (the finder) to decide what is a spoiler and what isn't. I recently sent a message to someone who didn't read the description in my cache page and posted a pic of the cache itself. I sent him the following msg; > I am going to ask you very kindly to blur out the cache in the picture you posted with your log for GCXXXX " cache name" (or remove it altogether) i do not want the surprise spoiled for others, (as requested in the description of the cache.)

> thank you kindly,

> cheryl.

he sent a very rude response;

Surprise? A micro in the woods? What surprise?

Never mind, as you wish I'll remove it.

I felt like deleting his log, but knew this would only cause animosity. Once again the cache owner (me)felt like it was a spoiler and he did not. There will always be pride involved on one side of the story or the other involved. It is important to remember to keep correspondence civil and polite because you never know what kind of people you may be dealing with.

http://blog.geocaching.com/2011/01/go-geocaching-dont-forget/

(blog about my photograph habit written by Groundspeak)

I would guess it is someone new, not realising that the photos they normally see will only ever show the rough location, or the cache container in a different position, but won't give away the exact hide (only the area the GPS will take you to anyway).

You have two choices depending on urgency -

1. Email the cacher in question, explain the problem and ask them to delete the image - this obviously won't be instant as it depends on when the cacher checks emails and follows up on them. If you get no response you will have to move on to number two anyway.

2. If you are worried about the picture spoiling the search for future cachers, then deleting the whole log will remove it, and the picture. Generally not considered quite as polite, but as long as you explain why you have deleted the log and ask them to relog appropriately (ie without the picture) then I see no problem.

The difference for me would be in how regularly the cache is being found - if it is being found daily, a few days delay inbetween the email and the image being deleted could ruin the search for a number of cachers which I don't consider particularly fair, and worth a bit of (acceptabl) rudeness towards the picture poster. If it is being found every few weeks or rarer, then the delay might catch out someone, but probably not particularly many.

I own a cache that someone has posted a photo to the gallery. The photo shows the cache IN PLACE! I'm trying to remove the photo from my cache listing and am not seeing any buttons that allow me to edit the gallery listing. I've checked the "Edit Listing" section, but the gallery isn't included. I see no controls in the Gallery section either. What am I missing here?

Still can't get over someone taking a photo of the cache in place and posting it online, with a cute little note "Don't look! it might be a spoiler" - Really? Ya think?! :: Rolling eyes ::

Thanks in advance

Good news - site update on 8/11 (or 11/8) included " Added the ability for cache owners to delete spoiler log images without also deleting the log text"

Edited by Huntleigh

Count me in here. My personal gripe is geotagged photos from the final of a multi or mystery. Seen too many of those recently. (Fun fact here: the ones I looked at which had "iPhone 3GS" as camera model in the EXIF header had their coords 3+ km off :lol:)

Sounds like their GPS wasn't turned on, the position must have been based off of the antenna they were using. Still, pretty funny;-) Shows you can't trust everything.