London 111111

Team MoS

But it's a lovely area, the meet's within walking distance of England's oldest remaining cache (GC171) and it's only an hour to Aylesbury on the train from Marylebone in London - I'd be happy to give visiting cachers a lift to the venue and back.

Lots of fun caches in central London. If you do a forum search for 'London' in thread topics on the UK/Ireland forum, you'll find lots of good suggestions. Have a great trip! :)

The 11th of November is of course Armistice Day, when we remember those who have died in wars, and dream of the ideal of a war-free world. No doubt this is why in the UK we deplored Groundspeak's attempts to use the day as a follow on from their 10/10/10 day last year.

Chris

Err.... do we? :huh:

The 11th of November is of course Armistice Day, when we remember those who have died in wars, and dream of the ideal of a war-free world. No doubt this is why in the UK we deplored Groundspeak's attempts to use the day as a follow on from their 10/10/10 day last year.

Chris

Err.... do we? :huh:

I was surprised at that comment too ..... I've booked my day off work to go to the 11.11.11. meet in North Wales. :rolleyes:

Edited by FantasyRaider

Chris

Do we deplore it? I was just wondering whether there would be an 11-11-11 event local to me and disappointed to see there wasn't.

11 November is Veterans' Day in the US where they too remember their combat veterans (the US remembers all veterans on 11 November and specifically remembers fallen veterans on Memorial Day which is in late May), so it's not as if the date is just like any other across the water.

Chris

"Deplored"? I think that's a bit strong. There seems to me to be little reason why people can't do both. After all, those who died did so in order that we might have freedom. An event seems a most suitable way to enjoy that freedom.

Shame I can't get to that event as it's very close to where I grew up. Oh, and not only is there a war memorial just across the road, but a rather famous monument within a mile on the top of Coombe Hill (to the second Boer War) if anyone wishes to combine the event with paying their respects.

B)

No doubt this is why in the UK we deplored Groundspeak's attempts to use the day as a follow on from their 10/10/10 day last year.

First I think you're taking a lot upon yourself to say what 'we' deplore, I certainly wouldn't deplore it.

Second, get your facts right. GS have refused to create a souvenir for 11-11-11 as they did for 10-10-10 for precisely the same reason that you're objecting, see the feedbackl response from moun10bike

Edited by MartyBartfast

Remeberance Sunday is on the 13th this year - so an event actually on 11/11/11 is not likely to offend :unsure:

An interesting point. I've felt the focus has been moving back to Armistice Day (as opposed to Remembrance Sunday) over the last few years. The two-minute silence on Armistice Day itself was practically extinct when I were a lad, but plenty of people do observe it now.

Anyway, it's the symolism of the specific date which is the problem. The event isn't just *on* 11/11, the event is *because* it's 11/11, and I don't feel comfortable with attaching a celebratory significance to something I consider very solemn.

But it's entirely up to the indivdual, of course. As a fatuous example, if I'd been born on 11th November I'm sure I'd have a radically different view.

Chris

Plus, it's my birthday, which I'll be celebrating at the BBH event.

Chris

OK maybe "deplore" was a bit strong, but I was recalling the views expressed just after the 10-10-10 events when a 11-11-11 follow-on event was first mooted. Perhaps views have mellowed since? Or the people who want to keep the 11th of November special will simply ignore such events?

Chris

There will only be one more year to do a cache like this after this year, i.e. 12/12/12 and then it will be a long wait for 01/01/01 i.e. 1st Jan 3001 if my logic is correct.

1st Jan 2100 will be ok, but I'm not planning to go caching that day

I did of course mean 1st Jan 2101, but I don't think anyone will notice

You are right - 2101 but that is still a long wait. I will be 150 years old - wonder if I can get a bracket to attach my GPS to the zimmer that I would be using then!!!! :) 3001 - what was I thinking. My logic was wrong, I will get my coat!!!

Chris

OK maybe "deplore" was a bit strong, but I was recalling the views expressed just after the 10-10-10 events when a 11-11-11 follow-on event was first mooted. Perhaps views have mellowed since? Or the people who want to keep the 11th of November special will simply ignore such events?

Chris

I celebrate my birthday *every* year. The morning of 11/11 is when we remember the war dead, the evening is when we celebrate my birthday.

You are right - 2101 but that is still a long wait. I will be 150 years old - wonder if I can get a bracket to attach my GPS to the zimmer that I would be using then!!!!

I plan to use the same bracket that I use to attach my GPS to my electric bike handlebars. Electric bike, same function as a mobility scooter, but way cooler.

Remember that most of the people who died in the world wars would have loved to see us going out geocaching and holding events. That's the type of thing that the sacrifice was all about, and I don't think that 11/11 was ever meant to be a day of misery. I haven't heard anyone saying that we should be staying at home in some sort of misdirected day of mourning; it's about remembering the dead and celebrating the freedom they helped win. The same with war memorials; encourage people to visit, cover them in poppies and celebrate, don't avoid them in the name of "respect".

Remember that most of the people who died in the world wars would have loved to see us going out geocaching and holding events. That's the type of thing that the sacrifice was all about, and I don't think that 11/11 was ever meant to be a day of misery. I haven't heard anyone saying that we should be staying at home in some sort of misdirected day of mourning; it's about remembering the dead and celebrating the freedom they helped win. The same with war memorials; encourage people to visit, cover them in poppies and celebrate, don't avoid them in the name of "respect".

This, like, +1 etc etc

Thanks for all replies. We are only 2 days in London så going away to the mentioned 11-11-11 event is not an option. We want to go on a musical also, if now that option is closed due to "Armistice Day".

Well, if you see 2 tourist with GPS:es in London 10-11/11, that might be us :)

Yep, they died fighting to protect us from tyranny. My grandfather fought in WWII (he survived the war) and I can't see him fighting so I could be miserable.