Nuvi boot time

If you didn't use the Nuvi for some time, it really has to search for the sat's, because it lost the data, if so go outside where it has a good view of the sky and let is lock for about 5 10 minutes WITHOUT any interference between the Nuvi and the sky, once it's locked it should be fine again and lock almost immediately the next time.

I have an older Nuvi 260W that takes quite a while to boot up. Im curious if the newer units boot any faster. I'm looking at units around the 150 dollar price range. 1390, etc

My 2460LMT starts up much faster than my 600/700 series units. I'll time it for you next time I use it. With my 650, even after it starts up, maps are not available. GPS lock of course depends on how long the unit has been powered down. The more recent it was used, the faster it'll acquire a lock.

the 2460LMT is probably above your stated budget, but the similar 2450 (without voice commands, bluetooth and free maps) should start up about as quickly. I'd recommend getting units with free lifetime map updates if you're buying a Nuvi.

I have a Nuvi 750. The boot time from power-on to when the may display is visible, is about 10 seconds. It takes another 5 seconds to one minute to acquire a fix, depending on how long its been since I last used it.

I have noticed that at about every fifth boot-up, it takes about 2 minutes to get to the main dsplay screen. That seems like forever. It I give up and turn it off, then back on, then it starts up in 10 seconds. I am not certain, but I think the 750 does some sort of memory clean-up or track archiving after every certain number of power-ups, which takes a while.

Chrysalides - thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated.

Sadly the 2595LMT does not offer a powered mount as far as I can acertain, something else that I required.

Much of the caching I do over here (South Africa) requires leaving your vehicle unattended for a while.

Plus my work reqires trips with multiple stops along the way.

You simply cannot leave a GPS unit in your vehicle - it will certainly be removed by someone at some point.

My experience with using my Oregon 450 on a mount, having to unplug the USB cable every time you get out is annoying to say the least.

Plus I suspect that it caused unnecessary wear on the units USB port, so much so that I no longer use it.

So in order of feature preference what I am looking for is:

5" dual orientation screen

Powered mount

Ability to send routes from Mapsource / Basecamp.

Looks like I am going to have to give up on one of the features.

The 2460 seems to be the only one of the newer units that fully supports routes from Mapsource but then you lose dual orientation.

But now that you have pointed me at the 2595 maybe I can live with unpluging / pluging in the USB cable ........

Sadly the 2595LMT does not offer a powered mount as far as I can acertain, something else that I required.

Much of the caching I do over here (South Africa) requires leaving your vehicle unattended for a while.

Plus my work reqires trips with multiple stops along the way.

You simply cannot leave a GPS unit in your vehicle - it will certainly be removed by someone at some point.

My experience with using my Oregon 450 on a mount, having to unplug the USB cable every time you get out is annoying to say the least.

Plus I suspect that it caused unnecessary wear on the units USB port, so much so that I no longer use it.

If you don't mind paying more (and getting a capacitive multitouch screen), take a look at the 37x0 series.

It has powered mount and dual orientation. Sadly, it is a 4.3" screen.

That's always been my pet peeve regarding Garmin Nuvi. So many models, and never one with all the features you want.

Regarding theft prevention, is it sufficient to have it on a dashboard beanbag mount, and moving it out of sight when you park? I know that summer temperatures in parts of South Africa can also be brutal, so there may be other reasons to remove it from the car.

The 37x0 series has been out for a while, not sure if there's newer models in the pipeline.

Yup, pet peeve of mine too !

Theft is the main reason for wanting to remove the unit from the vehicle, heat is not too much of an issue.

I may just go for a complete compromise and get a 2360 - no routing from Mapsource and a 4.3" screen then just see what comes out in the future.

I really want to be able to see what is up ahead not what is to the left and right.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, it is very much appreciated.

I may just go for a complete compromise and get a 2360 - no routing from Mapsource and a 4.3" screen then just see what comes out in the future.

That's probably the best option right now. None of the newer models have a powered mount. I hope it's not going the way of the MP3 player, a feature I really like on my 6xx and 7xx.

Oh, by the way, those photos on your flickr page are fantastic!