retrieving geocaching data for statistics

idanpl

Hi,

Do you know if there's a way that I can get the raw geocaching data in Excel (or SQL)?

I'm talking about the ~1.5 million caches metadata (coordinates, the geocacher who hid them, the number of times they were found/DNF, when they were hidden, etc.)?

no need for the logs and the description.

I was thinking about having a small data mining project that will answer questions like : which country/region has the most caches in the world? how many caches were hidden each year? which country/region has the most caches compared to its population? which cache has the most visits this year? and many more...

Thanks,

Idan

Hi,

Do you know if there's a way that I can get the raw geocaching data in Excel (or SQL)?

I'm talking about the ~1.5 million caches metadata (coordinates, the geocacher who hid them, the number of times they were found/DNF, when they were hidden, etc.)?

no need for the logs and the description.

I was thinking about having a small data mining project that will answer questions like : which country/region has the most caches in the world? how many caches were hidden each year? which country/region has the most caches compared to its population? which cache has the most visits this year? and many more...

Thanks,

Idan

What you ask doesn't sound like a big deal. Otherwise you wouldn't have asked it, correct? But it ain't gonna happen here, trust me. :D

No, I don't know. But the folks at Groundspeak would know:

http://www.geocaching.com/contact/

Good point. It is really up to Groundspeak to answer this question. If it serves their interests, and the cache owner is willing to sign any necessary agreements, they just may. I doubt it, but what do I know?

Thank you all for replying.

I have indeed contacted Groundspeak, but they didn't answer.

In any case, I figured out that many of my questions can be answered via the number of caches per country/region (which is not a lot of data).

So my main question, which USA state is the geocaching capital could be easily answered.

I have posted my results at:

http://geocachingguy.wordpress.com

You are most welcome to visit the post and comment.

Thanks,

Idan

Thank you all for replying.

I have indeed contacted Groundspeak, but they didn't answer.

In any case, I figured out that many of my questions can be answered via the number of caches per country/region (which is not a lot of data).

So my main question, which USA state is the geocaching capital could be easily answered.

I have posted my results at:

http://geocachingguy.wordpress.com

You are most welcome to visit the post and comment.

Thanks,

Idan

According to your method, it seems like the West is where the most avid geocachers are and yet we've only gotten two Geowoodstocks. Seems like East Coast Bias sticks it's nose into everything... :blink:

According to your method, it seems like the West is where the most avid geocachers are and yet we've only gotten two Geowoodstocks. Seems like East Coast Bias sticks it's nose into everything...

The first 2 Geowoodstock events were hosted by JoGPS in places that were convenient to him. It's HIS event. Then the NEFGA folks (NE Florida) convinced Joe to let them host it in NE FL - still fairly convenient for Joe. This was before Mega event designation existed. It was just another event, though it was gaining a following.

Then 9Key and other Texas folks convinced Joe that it oughta come to Texas, so it did. And that was the first event designated Mega by Groundspeak. That's what drove interest, nationally, in the event. That special designation.

It's still Joe's event. He lives in Tennessee.

Can you report the {caches,population,area} figures for all states? I'd like to throw a GLM at it.

Hi,

I have posted another post with the raw data

http://geocachingguy.wordpress.com/2011/11/05/geocaching-usa-state-capital-raw-data-2/

Enjoy,

Idan

Thanks for that. Based on some stats I might get round to describing tomorrow, I get the following as a description of which states have more caches (red end of the spectrum) than expected and which has fewer (blue end of the spectrum).

3e2cd74c-630f-4b23-b30c-b4910e145f48.jpg

Utah is pretty cache dense due to several prolific cachers in this fine state along with a fairly young and active demographic who are involved in all sorts of outdoor recreation. I am sure we would have even more placed but the federal government has locked a lot our land into National Parks and Monuments which as you all know is off limits to physical caches. I am sure quite a few other western states are in similar positions.