Bags

The more I'm doing this it seems the more 'stuff' I'm taking with me.

I'm not a huge fan of knapsacks unless there is one that is compartmentalized.

Just curious if anyone has a 'fave' bag they use?

Current contents of my bag: GPS; pen; notebook; small recorder; camera (point and shoot); a container that stores extra batteries, eye glass cleaner, swappable stuff etc.; flashlight; compass & whistle (just in case); cell phone; wallet; sunglasses; keys. Having the ability to store a layer would be a bonus but isn't a necessity. However, a place for a water bottle is.

Ideally these contents would readily accessible or I'd just stick with the knapsack.

Any brand/model would be appreciated.

I guess this also begs the question - am I missing something from my kit?

Thanks!

When i'm just doing vary basic caching i use this.

c616_grab_it_pack_gadget_holster.jpg

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/c616/

This is a gadget pack modeled after a leg gun holster. The upper pocket is perfect for spare batteries and pens. The larger pocket fits my swag, a note pad, spare bags, and other small items. The pocket on the right is the perfect size to hold most hand held GPSr. The materiel isn't all that durable. But it does great as long as your not doing any heavy bush whacking.

But my main pack is a clone of the sling pack sbell111 posted.

Edited by mpilchfamily

I used to use an over the shoulder back from Target that was cheap. But I decided that I needed a back pack. Didn't want all the doo dads and ergonomic stuff on the higher end bags and just wanted a simple canvas back pack with no doo dads. Found one for super cheap on Amazon. I have no clue what the brand is.

We use this one and LOVE it. It's exactly perfect for us at this stage of our caching (just crossed 100 finds). We carry 50-75 trade items of various sizes (we have a 6 yo so we almost always trade for something), log sheets, baggies, pens, toilet paper (again, our 6 yo), a small first aid kit, any trackables that we have at the moment, and one pocket that only holds my phone. It will also hold 2 water bottles if we need them, though usually we're not out that long since we have 2 youngsters.

I bought it in a Target store for $24 I think.

CacheBag2.jpg

CacheBag.jpg

Edited by FishieFour

ameribag1.jpgameribag3.jpg

I use an Ameribag http://www.ameribag.com/ I love the sling design and there are a ton of pockets to hold swag, trackables, tools, pens, gps, wallet, batterier, CITO supplies and cache supplies. I love it. I paid I think $5 for mine on ebay. It is green felt which also lets me attach my geocaching pins to it.

Sorry the pictures are so big.

That's what I use too. Mine is all black. I picked it up while working at Cabela's. Messenger Bags or Sling bags is what they call them.

Most of the larger hydro packs (Camelbak, Dakine) will have room for your stuff.

I have a couple of Maxpedition bags in different sizes and they seem to have too many pockets. Some pockets stay empty, or the weight gain would favor a standard backpack.

If I'm on rock or risky terrain, I skip the sling-type bags entirely, going for a small backpack. They're only slung around one shoulder and your neck, not supported by two straps/both shoulders with a backpack. Just when you start to leap to another boulder, the weight of the bag may move/revolve towards the front , interfering with balance at a critical moment.

Some of the cheaper sling bags will move to your front (and in your way) just from bending over.

Maxpedition realized that and most models included a snapstrap in back to attach to a belt to keep it in place. Warm weather doesn't last long in my area, so the strap idea means nada.