IT"S AN EPIDEMIC.

EXMAN

Seriously you are too worked up over something so trival, life goes on, continue to cache, and find trackables and log them, quit sweating the small stuff.

GS could easily not show the trackable inventory on the cache page, and still be able to track mileage on them, its just simple HTML code.

The time you are searching peoples caches that you never visited and reporting that thier trackables are missing, when you could be out enjoying the outdoors looking for caches is beyond me. Enjoy your retirement, quit getting worked up on small trival stuff, life is short, enjoy it.

Needs Maintenance

10/26/2011

<snip>

there are 111 trackables listed in this cache.

104 of them ARE NOT IN THE CACHE.

The Sculpture Launcher

Part of the problem with this type of activity -- how in the world do you know? You have not been to the cache. At least you have never logged it as found.

You think you know because you checked online. I am sorry, but without eyes-on verification, just how in the world do you know (again)?

I certainly would hope that you wouldn't rely solely on logs.

It appears that what you want to do is to launch (in effect, doing it right now) into a witch hunt and take action based upon little, if any evidence. What evidence you think that you may "have" is simply hearsay.

In essence you are willing to cause consternation to CO's and TO's by your actions all the while, doing so in a near total vacuum of knowledge.

EDIT TO ADD: Apparently you aren't sorry enough to cease this behavior, eh?

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Needs Maintenance

10/26/2011

anchors away

Cartoon Bomb

Chicken Pot Pie

Chucky the Killer TB II

City bug

coral

cow pancake

Crabby

Death in a Box

diamonds are forever

Dicey V

Discus

Dominoe

Dorne

dream

Dryer

E.T.C

Edmond

Ella Bell

Eye of Washington

The Sculpture Launcher

EXMAN's NM log on The Sculpture Launcher: http://www.geocachin...0e-33989bde2507

Didn't you see what Eartha said about this being considered harassment? I think you'd better take that a bit more seriously.

demotivational-posters-quadruple-facepalm.jpg

[Edited to add: OK, I see now that that is an older NM log. Leaving the facepalm anyway, because it somehow seems to appropriate]

Edited by knowschad
When a cacher visits a cache where a trackable is listed, but it's not in the cache, I would like them to have the ability to go to that trackable's home page and add a "Not seen" log. This would go to the TO as you would expect. Then, additionally, I would like this logging action to automatically "grey out" that trackable from that cache inventory - Not remove it completely, just grey out the text a bit - It could even be referred to as "ghosting the trackable". That would be enough to alert everyone that the trackable is not there.

What next?

After a period of perhaps 3 months (open to debate!) if that trackable has no further 'movement' log on it (i.e. a 'retrieve' or 'grab') then it would automatically be marked as Missing and go to that limbo state of "Unknown Location".

This is a pretty good suggestion.

I would add, 3 months after the most recent of 3 Found It logs were posted. That would help to protect TBs in rarely found caches.

Needs Maintenance

10/26/2011

<snip>

The Sculpture Launcher

Part of the problem with this type of activity -- how in the world do you know? You have not been to the cache. At least you have never logged it as found.

You think you know because you checked online. I am sorry, but without eyes-on verification, just how in the world do you know (again)?

It appears that what you want to do is to launch (in effect, doing it right now) into a witch hunt and take action based upon little, if any evidence. What evidence you think that you may "have" is simply hearsay.

In essence you are willing to cause consternation to CO's and TO's by your actions all the while, doing so in a near total vacuum of knowledge.

i had already posted on the cache page , so there was no taking that back.

i just decided on 1 more post here to emphasize the extent of the problem.

and, yes, my actions were based soley on log entries.

the cache page offers you the option of logging your visit. i 'visited' the cache page.

i didn't log any trackables or smilies and i would challange anyone to search for errors inmy posts.

Needs Maintenance

10/26/2011

<snip>

The Sculpture Launcher

the cache page offers you the option of logging your visit. i 'visited' the cache page.

i didn't log any trackables or smilies and i would challange anyone to search for errors inmy posts.

Once again, will you please CITO the litter that you left on two of my cache pages? I don't think that is my responsibility.

Seriously you are too worked up over something so trival, life goes on, continue to cache, and find trackables and log them, quit sweating the small stuff.

GS could easily not show the trackable inventory on the cache page, and still be able to track mileage on them, its just simple HTML code.

The time you are searching peoples caches that you never visited and reporting that thier trackables are missing, when you could be out enjoying the outdoors looking for caches is beyond me. Enjoy your retirement, quit getting worked up on small trival stuff, life is short, enjoy it.

i TOTALLY agree.

so you can rest assured that i'll not be involved in any NMs, and my notes re: travelbugs will only go to trackable owners.

COs have enough to do. this shouldn't be their responsibility. if they 'choose' to do anything with the inventory, props to them.

Needs Maintenance

10/26/2011

<snip>

The Sculpture Launcher

am i able to?

because if i'm able to, i will.

Once again, will you please CITO the litter that you left on two of my cache pages? I don't think that is my responsibility.

When a cacher visits a cache where a trackable is listed, but it's not in the cache, I would like them to have the ability to go to that trackable's home page and add a "Not seen" log. This would go to the TO as you would expect. Then, additionally, I would like this logging action to automatically "grey out" that trackable from that cache inventory - Not remove it completely, just grey out the text a bit - It could even be referred to as "ghosting the trackable". That would be enough to alert everyone that the trackable is not there.

What next?

After a period of perhaps 3 months (open to debate!) if that trackable has no further 'movement' log on it (i.e. a 'retrieve' or 'grab') then it would automatically be marked as Missing and go to that limbo state of "Unknown Location".

I recently logged a cache online and noticed a "Signal The Frog" coin listed, no picture of it on the coin's page. I made a note that I didn't see the coin. Turns out it's a tiny flat tag with a small beaded chain, it was in the cache, and I sure didn't notice it. I returned to the cache, and did a thorough inventory, and by then, someone had logged a find and taken the coin (which he logged that day).

"Not seen" means that I didn't search through the container well enough to be 110% certain it's gone, or that I couldn't tell if one of the current Trackables is the one. It could also mean that the tag is loose in there, and the hitchhiker toy is gone from it. It doesn't mean that I think the Trackable is not in the container, simply that I did incomplete research on it. It would be like a DNF for TBs.

That said, I like the ghosting idea, which should also place a flag on the Trackable's page. I see many posts around here that "there's a problem with my TB" with nothing noted on the TB page saying so.

Edited by kunarion

Needs Maintenance

10/26/2011

<snip>

The Sculpture Launcher

am i able to?

because if i'm able to, i will.

:lol: Was that a "yes" or a "no"? :lol:

What next?

sounds good to me !

I would add, 3 months after the most recent of 3 Found It logs were posted. That would help to protect TBs in rarely found caches.

What next?

sounds good to me

Needs Maintenance

10/26/2011

<snip>

The Sculpture Launcher

ami able to do that?

because if i am, i will.

oh yeah, the last couple were 'notes'.

on my way to your cache page.

What next?

At least. I have coins out with specific goals to be taken to obscure caches far off the beaten path. I've traveled to some AMAZING caches this way. But that often means my coin is in a cache for 6 months - once it was a whole year - before it gets seen by anyone.

At least give me, the TO, the option to have a longer period of inactivity before an automated dump. Then I'd be all for this idea. B)

What next?

I recently logged a cache online and noticed a "Signal The Frog" coin listed, no picture of it on the coin's page. I made a note that I didn't see the coin. Turns out it's a tiny flat tag with a small beaded chain, it was in the cache, and I sure didn't notice it. I returned to the cache, and did a thorough inventory, and by then, someone had logged a find and taken the coin (which he logged that day).

"Not seen" means that I didn't search through the container well enough to be 110% certain it's gone, or that I couldn't tell if one of the current Trackables is the one. It could also mean that the tag is loose in there, and the hitchhiker toy is gone from it. It doesn't mean that I think the Trackable is not in the container, simply that I did incomplete research on it. It would be like a DNF for TBs.

That said, I like the ghosting idea, which should also place a flag on the Trackable's page. I see many posts around here that "there's a problem with my TB" with nothing noted on the TB page saying so.

... Hence my reasoning behind the "3 month Wait" period: If a cacher was to "ghost" a trackable in error, because they failed to see it for some reason, then (hopefully) sometime during the 3 month period it will be discovered/retrieved/logged in some way. Such a log would then confirm its existance and the "ghost trackable" would automatically return to full opaqueness.

Even if a trackable does pass into Unknown Location limbo by mistake, it's not the end of the world, it can still be revived by the next finder - wherever they find it.

I would like Groundspeak to do something constructive about this whole issue because, as the situation now stands, I see the whole thing getting progressively worse year by year, as more trackables come into the game and get misplaced and lost.

MrsB

The Sculpture Launcher

It looks like several bugs were intended to return to the cache and then pulled from circulation. The owners are probably long gone and no longer caching. I can check into it if you like.

thanks for the offer, but i'll leave that up to you.

i DID have good intentions.

i DID think it was the COs responsibility to maintain the inventory list.

NOW i know i'm wrong there, which makes me REALLY appreciate those that do keep the lists up.

i DIDN"T realize that you people took these NMs so seriously, and so i do sincerely apologize for them and my condecending tone in the NMs.

BUT.....this IS a serious problem that needs to be dealt with.

Groundspeak throwing it on you COs wasn't the answer.

I can agree with everything you've written there. But I'm not sure what the best way to deal with the problem is.

I would like Groundspeak to do something constructive about this whole issue because, as the situation now stands, I see the whole thing getting progressively worse year by year, as more trackables come into the game and get misplaced and lost.

Yes, and furthermore, a lot of people wind up getting needlessly upset with each other over the issue.

I don't think myself and EXMAN and knowschad and etc. really disagree with the general idea that it would be nice if trackable information was more accurate. But there is a lot of yelling going on in here, and it's something I think Groundspeak is in a good position to address.

It is a problem for those who enjoy trackables and would like cache inventories generally to be more accurate.

However it is not an easy problem to solve and I doubt it's very high on Groundspeak's "List of Really Important Stuff To Be Done".

I've thought about possible ways of handling it, and considered possible solutions. I would quite like something like this:

What next?

No doubt there are various "But what if?" scenarios to be considered and I've no idea how easy/difficult it would be to set this up. But I agree that there are far too many trackable ghosts around in caches - I've seen some dating back to 2008. I'd happily bet that those are no longer in those caches!

MrsB :)

I really like this proposal. I'm not sure I would want it to depend upon only one "Not seen" log though. Perhaps maybe after 3 "Not seen" logs the 3 month clock would start. That would help guard against people not checking the cache close enough.

What next?

At least. I have coins out with specific goals to be taken to obscure caches far off the beaten path. I've traveled to some AMAZING caches this way. But that often means my coin is in a cache for 6 months - once it was a whole year - before it gets seen by anyone.

At least give me, the TO, the option to have a longer period of inactivity before an automated dump. Then I'd be all for this idea. B)

i ALWAYS took that into consideration while doing my, (i wish i could take them back), NMs.

Needs Maintenance

10/26/2011

<snip>

The Sculpture Launcher

ami able to do that?

because if i am, i will.

oh yeah, the last couple were 'notes'.

on my way to your cache page.

Yes, you can, and I see that you have. Thank you!

That's good news, knowschad.

Now...what about all those other "notes" and "NM" logs on other people's caches?

Notes can and should be deleted by the author, but will it take Reviewer action to get those wrongly-posted NM logs removed?

all note have been removed.

if i've missed any, please let me know.

if eartha gives me the ability to do it i'll delete all NMs.

and i apologize to all.

GROUP HUG EVERYBODY!!!

As it is cold and flu season and frankly I don't know how often you all bathe so can I just rub elbows with you all?

:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, occupational hazard.

That's ok. *cough* *cough*. A wink *aaaachooo* and a nod is *cough* fine.

Now...what about all those other "notes" and "NM" logs on other people's caches?

Notes can and should be deleted by the author, but will it take Reviewer action to get those wrongly-posted NM logs removed?

all note have been removed.

if i've missed any, please let me know.

if eartha gives me the ability to do it i'll delete all NMs.

and i apologize to all.

I don't have that kind of power, but a note to contact @ geocaching dot com will reach someone who does.

My powers only include wrist slapping in the forums and (as mentioned so many times before) marking trackables missing. I am probably the one whose post you read about marking 1000's missing. And I only do it if TOs and COs don't respond, and someone has visited the cache to confirm they are missing. And then, I do it when I have time. I currently have a long list to mark missing in my inbox. And I ask people to send a link to the missing TB, not the cache, and not the TB name.

I think the ones that get me the most are the trackables that are in micros. I know that there are coins specificlly made to fit iin some types of micro sized continers but I am referring more to the ones that "inside" of nanos and bisons.

I understand that sometimes people put tracking bugs in them inadvertantly or swap bugs with another cacher at locations where the bugs they are dipping or swapping won't fit but is it really so hard to mark something missing that is "in" your cache that you know is impossible for it to be there? :huh:

Sorry if that is OT, just one more rant to add to the list ... <_<

Edited by FobesMan

What next?

No doubt there are various "But what if?" scenarios to be considered and I've no idea how easy/difficult it would be to set this up. But I agree that there are far too many trackable ghosts around in caches - I've seen some dating back to 2008. I'd happily bet that those are no longer in those caches!

Would you please, please, purty please post this as a feature request in our newly christened old website forum? I promise to throw my support behind it. :D

Actually a NM log can be removed by the CO in two ways.

1. Post a Maintenance Visit log

2. Edit the page and delete the NM attribute.

Personally I wouldn't consider the presence or lack their of a NM issue.

this was my 2 cents on a Feedback request...

From my part "every cacher" Doing a Found log and if the tb not there could mark as missing...

Marking as missing does not "destroy" the TB only mark position as unknown, so even if then on get Discovered it just reapears so harms done. Thay way . listing are ok. To prevent having someone just marking away to disturb game, the "flag" could be pending for 7 day that can be "overturned" by CO or TBO. If no one overturn it then th marking apply. Or have just a "color" around Trackable in the cache telling in inventory but "reported by cacher as missing".... so looking at a cache aving let say red around trackable then we know they have been not seen on last visit.

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/2360118-remove-the-travel-bug-inventory-list-from-cache-li#comments

For another thing, the cache owner may very well not know that the trackables are missing. Sometimes somebody will add that to their log, but again... that does not mean that it is missing. It only means that it hasn't been logged yet.

I do not understand this.

If it is no longer in the cache, mark it missing so it will go out of the inventory.

Later on, the TB holder can log it by grabbing it.

Why wait for the TB holder?

There is still the issue of marking it missing too soon. Some consider it giving the OK to the holder to just keep it.

Scenario: OK, you wrote it off, so now I don't have to worry about keeping this beautiful silver angel/keychain/dolphin/toy car/rubber duckie that I/my child/my muggle friend fell in love with, because you've already written it off.

Could happen. This is why it's best if marking it missing is left to the CO, who can check on it the TO, who can make that decision, or a Groundspeak Volunteer, who will research the history and make sure it is really missing, and not just forgotten to log.

There is still the issue of marking it missing too soon. Some consider it giving the OK to the holder to just keep it.

Scenario: OK, you wrote it off, so now I don't have to worry about keeping this beautiful silver angel/keychain/dolphin/toy car/rubber duckie that I/my child/my muggle friend fell in love with, because you've already written it off.

Could happen. This is why it's best if marking it missing is left to the CO, who can check on it the TO, who can make that decision, or a Groundspeak Volunteer, who will research the history and make sure it is really missing, and not just forgotten to log.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Thank you Eartha. :)

^^^^THIS^^^^

Thank you Eartha. :)

Yes. There are too many posts around here about how much people are bothered that I don't immediately mark and forget my coin as soon as I lose track of it. If that's the issue, just program the site to mark any Trackable missing after 3 months with no logs, no fuss needed. :anibad:

I am disappointed by this attitude because I think it means we will not address the problem.

The problem being that if one wants to do a query to find a TB, the system will show caches as having TB items, but many of those will actually not have them.

(Okay, so let's not worry about finding any, just go out to have fun. That is one attitude, but I think we can do better than turn a blind eye to the problem.)

To fix this, we have to tell the database when a TB is not in a cache. That means we have to mark it "missing."

The conservative approach is to get a responsible volunteer (Groundspeak volunteer, or cache owner, or TB owner) to try to track down the TB, find out who has it, and ask that person to log it out of the cache it is in.

That's a lot of work, and this work is not being done. If it were, then this "epidemic" would not have happened. I do not think this situation is likely to change -- many cache owners do not maintain the travel bug inventories, and many TB owners do nothing when informed that their bug is missing. Groundspeak's volunteers are doing a great job, but I think there are too many missing bugs out there to track them all down.

I hear your concern, but leaving all these missing bugs logged into caches makes a problem for everybody; marking a bug missing too early makes a problem for one person. Do not the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?

If a TB owner sees their bug is marked missing, and they are concerned about it having been stolen or not logged out yet, then that person should take on the responsibility to track it down -- not anybody else.

i want to be a volunteer.

i really DO care about this issue.

i wanted to bring the issue into the open, but i went about it the wrong way.

once parameters have been decided upon, i'd love get involved.

i'm passionate about this, and i'd be PERFECT for the job.

Thank you very much for the kind offer. This is not how Groundsepak choses their volunteers, however. Please see the Groundspeak Knowledge Books, for more information.

I am disappointed by this attitude because I think it means we will not address the problem.

The problem being that if one wants to do a query to find a TB, the system will show caches as having TB items, but many of those will actually not have them.

(Okay, so let's not worry about finding any, just go out to have fun. That is one attitude, but I think we can do better than turn a blind eye to the problem.)

To fix this, we have to tell the database when a TB is not in a cache. That means we have to mark it "missing."

The conservative approach is to get a responsible volunteer (Groundspeak volunteer, or cache owner, or TB owner) to try to track down the TB, find out who has it, and ask that person to log it out of the cache it is in.

That's a lot of work, and this work is not being done. If it were, then this "epidemic" would not have happened. I do not think this situation is likely to change -- many cache owners do not maintain the travel bug inventories, and many TB owners do nothing when informed that their bug is missing. Groundspeak's volunteers are doing a great job, but I think there are too many missing bugs out there to track them all down.

I hear your concern, but leaving all these missing bugs logged into caches makes a problem for everybody; marking a bug missing too early makes a problem for one person. Do not the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?

If a TB owner sees their bug is marked missing, and they are concerned about it having been stolen or not logged out yet, then that person should take on the responsibility to track it down -- not anybody else.

Yes me too, but the only real cure for this is for cachers to make sure they teach new cachers how to log the darned things. This EPIDEMIC has been around since the first Trackable went missing. Anyone have any ideas how many trackables are out there activated? How many are missing? How many cache owners have become inactive for one reason or another? How many Trackable owners are inactive? It is a daunting task, and the only real cure is education. If you don't know how a trackable works, don't pick it up. Or for crying out loud, ask someone. Everyone in these forums knows that these forums are here to help. Every cacher does not visit these forums, so the word is only reaching a very select few. How about a few events holding "How to Log" classes. Taking newbies under your wings. And I wish that the smart phones were a lot smarter, because there are a whole new class of cachers out there that don't even own a GPS and can't figure out to log it from their phone.

It's not my attitude, it's what I see happening. And unless people learn, it ain't gonna get fixed anytime soon. It's a user issue. The users need to learn the process, and actually do it. And if you don't know how to log it, leave it in the cache for someone who does, or ask for help.

Thank you very much for the kind offer. This is not how Groundsepak choses their volunteers, however. Please see the Groundspeak Knowledge Books, for more information.

just so we're on the same page, i have no interest in being a 'cache reviewer'.

i think for this you'll need an entirely 'new' group of people, whose only function would be to maintain trackables inventory lists.

i think for this you'll need an entirely 'new' group of people, whose only function would be to maintain trackables inventory lists.

I don't want a group of "volunteer trackables wranglers" touching my cache pages or my trackables pages.

I'm pretty sure, at least I hope I am, that Groundspeak will never create such a group.

Let it go now, please. This is such a waste of expended energy, it's unbelievable.

Take care of your trackables, if you have any. Please take your nose out of everyone else's business, though.

I don't want a group of "volunteer trackables wranglers" touching my cache pages or my trackables pages.

I'm pretty sure, at least I hope I am, that Groundspeak will never create such a group.

Let it go now, please. This is such a waste of expended energy, it's unbelievable.

Take care of your trackables, if you have any. Please take your nose out of everyone else's business, though.

ouch !!

i don't think i deserved that.

the only reason i said anything was because of Eartha's comment which i will now quote....

"Could happen. This is why it's best if marking it missing is left to the CO, who can check on it the TO, who can make that decision, or a """Groundspeak Volunteer""", who will research the history and make sure it is really missing, and not just forgotten to log.

i'm not looking to get in anyone's business.

i just offered my services as a "Groundspeak Volunteer".