IT"S AN EPIDEMIC.

EXMAN

nice chatting with you all.

i think we've got everything ironed out, right?

Well, have you had a chance yet to look through the Knowledge Books? I'm sure that bit about cache owners having to maintain their travel bug inventory is in there somewhere. I was hoping you could find what I was unable to locate.

I'm curious about the specific incident that set you off on this tangent. Obviously, it is not because you yourself are so vigilant with the inventories on your own hides, so it must have been something else. What pushed you over the edge, anyway?

whether it is or isn't in the knowledge books or not isn't relevant.

what IS relevant is that COs have been empowered with the ability to delete trackables from their inventory. so......the important question is "Why did they do this?"

they must have had a reason, and i'm guessing their intent was that COs would 'maintain' an up to date inventory list by deleting trackables that are not in their caches.

as far as what encouraged me to do what i've done.

50% of trackables that are on inventory lists ARE NOT in the caches.

something needs to be done about it.

i thought that my actions would stimulate some healthy debate and allow us to come up with some viable solutions.

what IS relevant is that COs have been empowered with the ability to delete trackables from their inventory. so......the important question is "Why did they do this?"

they must have had a reason, and i'm guessing their intent was that COs would 'maintain' an up to date inventory list by deleting trackables that are not in their caches.

Reviewers have been empowered with the ability to mark trackables missing from caches and I think Keystone made it pretty clear that it doesn't make it their responsibility.

And to answer your question, look a couple of posts back.

A few years ago co's got tired of dealing with people such as yourself who were constantly bugging the crap out of them. They requested the ability to mark trackables missing so they could shut the whiners up. So you would be wrong in your guessing of their intent.

all of your other caches are fine.

nice job 'maintaining' those inventory lists.

Thank you. How are your hides looking, inventory-wise?

i have no hides.

i'm never in one place long enough to properly maintain a cache.

my wife and i are retired and live in our motorhome full-time.

traveling the country and checking ahead to verify who's been naughty or nice in maintaining their inventory lists.

i thought that my actions would stimulate some healthy debate and allow us to come up with some viable solutions.

You might have had better luck if you had started out like this:

About 50% of the TBs listed in cache inventories are not in the cache.

Why are they not marked missing?

It's very disappointing to expect to find that TB and then come up empty handed.

Do you think it would be a good idea if Groundspeak were to allow volunteers to help mark these trackables as missing?

I'll volunteer for the job.

EXMAN

And instead of telling co's how to do their jobs, even though inventory maintenance ain't one of 'em, you would actually listen to the feedback given to you.

Instead, you have chosen to Be extremely adversarial in your responses so I don'T see much in the way of viabLe solutions resulting from this thread.

i have no hides.

traveling the country and checking ahead to verify who's been naughty or nice in maintaining their inventory lists.

And trolling the forums and doing an excellent job of it at that.

nice chatting with you all.

i think we've got everything ironed out, right?

Well, have you had a chance yet to look through the Knowledge Books? I'm sure that bit about cache owners having to maintain their travel bug inventory is in there somewhere. I was hoping you could find what I was unable to locate.

I'm curious about the specific incident that set you off on this tangent. Obviously, it is not because you yourself are so vigilant with the inventories on your own hides, so it must have been something else. What pushed you over the edge, anyway?

as far as what encouraged me to do what i've done.

50% of trackables that are on inventory lists ARE NOT in the caches.

something needs to be done about it.

It is irrelevant if it is in the KB, huh? OK... in that case, I guess it is also irrelevant that cache maintenance IS in the KB. Can't have it both ways.

I heard you state that 50% figure earlier, too. How did you arrive at that number?

i have no hides.

I see. I am not retired. I'm still working a 40 hour week and maintaining a house all by myself. Sounds to me like you need more to do with your time than sticking your nose in other's business.

let volunteers like me handle it.

Volunteers like you? When did you become a volunteer?

i'm volunteering here, right now, in this thread.

and you?

LoL - is that what you call it? :lol:

GC.com appoints the volunteers. Without their blessing, you can't really claim to be any kind of legitimate volunteer. And as GeoBain, I believe, already pointed out...you've pretty much blown that from happening with this thread.

The only thing left to be said is IBTL.

Edited by ThePetersTrio

Please do not do that again.

oh, but i fully intend to go through ALL of your caches.

and if any of the listed trackablesare missing........

i do fully intend to place a note on your page.

And if I were Knowschad I would contact Groundspeak and report you for abusing the logging tools and provide them a link to your post.

So would I.

No fair. We only get 1 IBTL per thread and I already blew mine. :(

I need to brush up on my IBTL rule book. Do we only get 1 per thread or 1 per person per thread? :laughing:

1 per person per thread. But we better get back to asking EXMAN if he's found that inventory list maintenance clause before Keystone slaps our hands for going off topic. :anibad:

No fair. We only get 1 IBTL per thread and I already blew mine. :(

I need to brush up on my IBTL rule book. Do we only get 1 per thread or 1 per person per thread? :laughing:

1 per person per thread. But we better get back to asking EXMAN if he's found that inventory list maintenance clause before Keystone slaps our hands for going off topic. :anibad:

My bad. On both counts. Sorry in advance Keystone.

I had thought Eartha would have made an appearance in this thread by now. He/she has an impressive knowledge of travelers and could quite likely reassure the OP that any missing travelers he comes across can be dealt with by official volunteers. IF they have been verified to be MIA after a cache has been visted by the person bearing the request of course.

But we better get back to asking EXMAN if he's found that inventory list maintenance clause before Keystone slaps our hands for going off topic. :anibad:

I'm sure its there somewhere! It has to be! He's probably busy doing his research right this minute. I'd expect a link any time now. Hang tight.

i care.

It’s cool that you’re physically checking the caches. Some TBs may have lost their hitchhiker (and be a dogtag alone), and be hidden under the stuff at the bottom of a container. So they must be checked in person. It’s valuable to a Trackable owner to know it’s not in the cache anymore. Sometimes, we just plain don’t even know for sure.

Many Cache Owners, for better or worse, don’t visit their caches unless there’s an issue. A TB listed in a cache isn’t considered a maintenance issue (as I’ve said, some tags may actually still be in the container just fine, and likely were there when the CO last looked).

The best person to contact, to resolve a missing Trackable problem is the owner of the Trackable. They have a better handle on its travels than anyone else. If you have news, write to them first. But make a "Note" log on the TB's page, in case of email problems.

And here’s the deal. Some of us saw our Trackables lost, and the last place was in the cache. Maybe you’d say we’re in denial. Maybe you say we should mark it missing. What if we’re just plain not ready to let it go just yet? What if we feel like leaving the list as is, as a warning to other people to not put a TB there? What if we think it's a better plan to make people guess? What if we're just fed up with losing Trackables, and don't really care anymore if your list is right or not? Is that so bad? There are many reasons why a TB owner leaves it be, and some reasons just seem "right" to us somehow. Just give me a couple of weeks, please? I promise to let it go.

Edited by kunarion

What a fascinating read this thread has been so far. I never thought it was a COs responsibility to maintain inventory in a cache, but I never really expect to find what's listed in the inventory anyway. I like finding trackables as much as the next guy but it doesn't bother me much anymore if one isn't there. The joy of caching for me is the find, trackables I can move along in my travels are an added bonus. Not something to get all worked up about.

i care.

It's cool that you're physically checking the caches.

I wouldn't go that far. He sure didn't physically check my caches when he did his "volunteer TB maintenance" on them today.

The rest of what you say is right on. I prefer to maintain my own TBs, and sometimes, even after they have been reported as missing, I like to think that it may be a mistake, so I'll leave it there until I see another similar report. I have one that is supposed to be in a cache in some very remote spot in the Arizona desert that has been sitting there since March.

i have no hides.

Heck, seems like you're doing it from the comfort of your armchair, no need for travel.

Or is this an out of body type experience?

He's not posting notes, he's posting Needs Maintanance Logs which CO's can't delete.

Sure they can.

Can they? If so my bad, thought they were like Archive Requests. Maybe it's just that the attribute can't be removed without an Owner Miantanace Log...

You can also delete NA logs. Yes, the attribute needs to be cleared with an Owner Maintenance log.

No, I'm serious. If he admits he's wrong he can state that without the implied "tone" of the double "...........you win...........I'm wrong"

Just doesn't seem sincere to me. Seems mocking to me. Maybe I'm wrong. He can address it if he chooses.

Edited to add a quotation mark.

Edited by GeotaggedBloger

No, I'm serious. If he admits he's wrong he can state that without the implied "tone" of the double "...........you win...........I'm wrong"

Just doesn't seem sincere to me. Seems mocking to me. Maybe I'm wrong. He can address it if he chooses.

I have to agree with you. "My bad" really is a way of avoiding saying, "I'm sorry, I made a mistake". But if that's the best he can come up with, I guess its the best he can do.

As a cache owner who doesn't have TB I see an definite advantage for not maintaining the TB in the inventory. It brings in more cachers and TB hounds wanting more TB!!! Okay, it might tick them off to find an empty cache/or near empty cache without catching TB. But hey isn't it the TB owner's fault for releasing TB into the wild by relinquishingg ownership; and isn't it the fault of the TB carrier for passing it along? If th cache owner did not ask for anyones TB, why should they be responsible for having it, maintaining it or even passing it along to any geocacher.

If I had a magic wand, I'd wish that people would simply log trackables in and out of caches in a timely manner. That would cut down on a LOT of confusion.

I can't tell you how many times I've gotten apologetic emails, "So sorry! Forgot we had your coin until we picked up our caching bag and discovered we hadn't logged it. We'll get it placed soon." Most of the time, this is from long time cachers with thousands of finds. I get logging can be tedious but....:ph34r:

I have to agree with you. "My bad" really is a way of avoiding saying, "I'm sorry, I made a mistake". But if that's the best he can come up with, I guess its the best he can do.

You have a unique perspective that none of the rest of us share having been the target of some his misguided behavior and so I will defer to your feelings but I don't think that his initial intent was malicious. True, it became that way as time went by and more and more people disagreed both with his opinion and his way of getting his point across but think he thought he was doing the right thing to begin with.

He made a mistake, I think more than just myself has come in to the forums with a poorly formed opinion and rubbed people the wrong way but I learned my lesson and hopefully so did he. I also think that the "apology" he gave is about as much as he is capable of given his past attitude. Time to move on. my $0.02

If I had a magic wand, I'd wish that people would simply log trackables in and out of caches in a timely manner. That would cut down on a LOT of confusion.

I can't tell you how many times I've gotten apologetic emails, "So sorry! Forgot we had your coin until we picked up our caching bag and discovered we hadn't logged it. We'll get it placed soon." Most of the time, this is from long time cachers with thousands of finds. I get logging can be tedious but....:ph34r:

This is totally off-topic, but things are temporarily quiet here, and I think we need the relief...

I had a travel bug called "Moose on the Loose". It hadn't been out for very long when it was being consistently reported missing in a cache in my area. I mean, there were several reports of "Moose on the Loose is not in this cache". One day, I was in the general vicinity, caching with a friend. It was late and I was tired, so we split and I went home, but Mike decided to do one more cache. Turned out to be the one with my "missing" moose TB. Guess what he found in the cache! Yup... found and rescued after months!

Well, Mike had gathered a nice collection of bugs, and wanted to get them moving, but wasn't doing much caching of his own any more. So he gave them to a friend that he knew was making a road trip down south. He met up with his friend and gave him a paper sack full of travel bugs. His friend headed off on the road trip with this paper sack in the back seat. Somewhere along the way, they stopped for gas, a bite to eat, and a chance to empty the car of the trash it had so far gathered. Including, of course, that paper sack in the back seat. Sigh.....

As a cache owner who doesn't have TB I see an definite advantage for not maintaining the TB in the inventory. It brings in more cachers and TB hounds wanting more TB!!! Okay, it might tick them off to find an empty cache/or near empty cache without catching TB. But hey isn't it the TB owner's fault for releasing TB into the wild by relinquishingg ownership; and isn't it the fault of the TB carrier for passing it along? If th cache owner did not ask for anyones TB, why should they be responsible for having it, maintaining it or even passing it along to any geocacher.

I agree. Check out this feedback suggestion.

LINK

You have a unique perspective that none of the rest of us share having been the target of some his misguided behavior and so I will defer to your feelings but I don't think that his initial intent was malicious. True, it became that way as time went by and more and more people disagreed both with his opinion and his way of getting his point across but think he thought he was doing the right thing to begin with.

He made a mistake, I think more than just myself has come in to the forums with a poorly formed opinion and rubbed people the wrong way but I learned my lesson and hopefully so did he. I also think that the "apology" he gave is about as much as he is capable of given his past attitude. Time to move on. my $0.02

+1

Who's up for beer and donuts in the OT lounge?

Oh, I totally agree with you that he is/was totally passionate about what he way saying, even if he is/was misguided about it. I'm not asking him to apologize for that.

SHOULD WE HAVE TO DO A BACKGROUND CHECK ON THE CACHE BEFORE WE PUT IT ON OUR 'LIST FOR THE DAY'?

If by "background check" you mean reading through previous logs, then that's always been good a good idea. Your loss if you can't be bothered. I always read the logs on a cache I'm about to search for, not to see if the listed trackables are in there (it doesn't matter if I find out at the computer or at the cache, I'm still gonna look for it), but to look for clues, see if it's damaged or missing, and to make sure it doesn't have a criminal record.

He's not posting notes, he's posting Needs Maintanance Logs which CO's can't delete.

Sure they can.

Can they? If so my bad, thought they were like Archive Requests. Maybe it's just that the attribute can't be removed without an Owner Miantanace Log...

You can also delete NA logs. Yes, the attribute needs to be cleared with an Owner Maintenance log.

Actually, not true....you can just uncheck it in the attribute section, last I looked. You dont need the maintenance log anymore.

Yeah, I think that an EPIDEMIC is getting 13 NM logs for missing trackables in my inbox over the last week. :laughing:

LOL, I just realized that possibly sounded like the NM logs were on my caches. They were not. They came through instant notifications of nearby caches. I'll admit that after the first couple I was starting to get a bit annoyed.

An epidemic is not a specific kind of disease so it cannot be marked down as having specific symptoms or causes. It just means there is some new case of disease, or sickness that is being spread throughout an area. It can be spread virally or by microbial contact (bacteria), or it does not have to be contagious at all.

oh, but i fully intend to go through ALL of your caches.

and if any of the listed trackablesare missing........

i do fully intend to place a note on your page.

No. Don't. It is not up to you to be the TB or Cache Police. To start posting notes on caches you have never been to can be construed as harrassment, and get your account locked.

A Cache Owner, a TB owner, and I can mark them missing. Some people are just not active anymore, and it doesn't get done. If you just reduce your expectations, you won't be so disappointed that you feel you have to come in here yelling at everyone.

You also have to realize that you can shout it all you want, but only a tiny percent of cachers ever read he forums, so they can't hear you, and your point is not getting to the masses. Just do your best to teach newbies, that might help.

thank you very much. (except for the last line)

i DID have good intentions.

i DID think it was the COs responsibility to maintain the inventory list.

NOW i know i'm wrong there, which makes me REALLY appreciate those that do keep the lists up.

i DIDN"T realize that you people took these NMs so seriously, and so i do sincerely apologize for them and my condecending tone in the NMs.

BUT.....this IS a serious problem that needs to be dealt with.

Groundspeak throwing it on you COs wasn't the answer.

...this IS a serious problem that needs to be dealt with.

It is a problem for those who enjoy trackables and would like cache inventories generally to be more accurate.

However it is not an easy problem to solve and I doubt it's very high on Groundspeak's "List of Really Important Stuff To Be Done".

I've thought about possible ways of handling it, and considered possible solutions. I would quite like something like this:

When a cacher visits a cache where a trackable is listed, but it's not in the cache, I would like them to have the ability to go to that trackable's home page and add a "Not seen" log. This would go to the TO as you would expect. Then, additionally, I would like this logging action to automatically "grey out" that trackable from that cache inventory - Not remove it completely, just grey out the text a bit - It could even be referred to as "ghosting the trackable". That would be enough to alert everyone that the trackable is not there.

What next?

After a period of perhaps 3 months (open to debate!) if that trackable has no further 'movement' log on it (i.e. a 'retrieve' or 'grab') then it would automatically be marked as Missing and go to that limbo state of "Unknown Location".

No doubt there are various "But what if?" scenarios to be considered and I've no idea how easy/difficult it would be to set this up. But I agree that there are far too many trackable ghosts around in caches - I've seen some dating back to 2008. I'd happily bet that those are no longer in those caches!

MrsB :)

let's not get our panties all up in a bunch here.

let's just take the COs out of the equation.

let other people ( volunteers like me ) handle it.

Um, no thanks.

And I find it interesting that YOU are suggesting someone (anyone) has their panties in a bunch. <_<

Exactly my thoughts.

...this IS a serious problem that needs to be dealt with.

The serious problem is not so much inaccurate trackables inventory as much as it is lost/stolen/never logged trackables. I invite you to take a look at my trackables list. Figure out how much I have probably spent on geocoins and travel bug tags that have gone missing, and know that, while I have a few, my list is nowhere near as large as many geocacher's missing trackables list. You are occasionally inconvenienced by finding the inventories inaccurate. We are out some serious change. You are seeing a symptom of the problem. We are feeling the real pain of the problem.

By the way, would you mind, please, saving me the problem of deleting the logs you placed on my caches, by deleting them yourself? Thank you.

Needs Maintenance

10/26/2011

anchors away

Cartoon Bomb

Chicken Pot Pie

Chucky the Killer TB II

City bug

coral

cow pancake

Crabby

Death in a Box

diamonds are forever

Dicey V

Discus

Dominoe

Dorne

dream

Dryer

E.T.C

Edmond

Ella Bell

Eye of Washington

there are 111 trackables listed in this cache.

104 of them ARE NOT IN THE CACHE.

The Sculpture Launcher

When a cacher visits a cache where a trackable is listed, but it's not in the cache, I would like them to have the ability to go to that trackable's home page and add a "Not seen" log. This would go to the TO as you would expect. Then, additionally, I would like this logging action to automatically "grey out" that trackable from that cache inventory - Not remove it completely, just grey out the text a bit - It could even be referred to as "ghosting the trackable". That would be enough to alert everyone that the trackable is not there.

What next?

After a period of perhaps 3 months (open to debate!) if that trackable has no further 'movement' log on it (i.e. a 'retrieve' or 'grab') then it would automatically be marked as Missing and go to that limbo state of "Unknown Location".

This is a pretty good suggestion.