IT"S AN EPIDEMIC.

EXMAN

by the way......

there's a TB inthe inventory of 'B2K: Bobcam's 2000th find'.

it's not in the cache.

i've said, let's take COs out of the equation.

The owner of the TB tag can do this any time they wish, it's their tag after all.

like i said....

they're not the one advertising that they have something in their cache.

by the way......

it's not in the cache.

The owner of the TB tag can do this any time they wish, it's their tag after all.

like i said....

Neither is the CO.

but the difference between the TOs and the COs is.... the COs are advertising/offering something special to us 'players of the game'. but they're not coming thru on their promise. it's like false advertising. and AFTER you're lured into coming to their store to shop, the game is changed. they don't have the product that's been advertised

As a CO, trackables are not a part of the game I particularly enjoy. They often cause me headaches. There are many times that I would not like my cache to be a part of someone else's side game, but by using this listing service, I realize that I don't have that ability. And that's okay.

But to claim that I'm advertising or offering something special to the rest of the world, or luring someone to my shop, is not really true. I am not advertising anything other than the fact that I have a fun cache, well-maintained and ready to find. People who put trackables in my cache create notifications for others, but as the CO I'd love to turn off the trackable inventory. I just can't.

you said.......

"There are many times that I would not like my cache to be a part of someone else's side game, but by using this listing service, I realize that I don't have that ability."

i say......

if a trackable can set a mission statment for it, and request that it not be placed in puzzle caches etc...then why can't you advertise that you don't want trackables in your cahe? seems like a reasonable request.

There are probably better solutions than accusing COs of insidious behavior.

Stop refering to marking trackables missing as "deleting" them; it gives a totally wrong impression.

Marking a trackable as missing simply says "It is not in this cache and we don't know where it is."

It is still somewhere; it is not "Deleted."

It 'IS' deleted from your 'trackables inventory' thank you very much.

if only a poll could be done.

the cachers that enjoy trackables would be behind me 100%.

if only they knew that discussion wass going on.

You can lower your percentage by one. I enjoy trackables and I enjoy maintaining caches that encourage their placement. What I would not enjoy is someone from outside my area, percieving that I am being lax in my duties and coming to my cache and removing bugs from it's inventory becasue they think they know a particular bug is not there. Likewise, I wouldn't want my bug removed from a cache without first hand knowledge of someone that has been there.

this is most likely what Keystone was eluding to when he said he had stopped doing it. Too many CO's and TO's sending him angry e-mails for trying to "help".

"lax in my duties"...........

so you agree that it's your 'duty' to 'maintain' your trackables inventory list.

OP, while others agree that trackable inventories are somewhat of a problem (myself included), you seem to be the only one that thinks that your solution is the correct one. I'm not sure who it is that has it as their forum signature but a wise cacher once said, (I'm paraphrasing):

"Geochacing is supposed to be about fun, if you're coming to the forums and typing 5000 word rants with your caps lock on, you're probably missing the point"

As far as becoming a volunteer goes, I think your actions and behavior here has significantly hindered that possibility. Your actions include browsing for caches with trackables in them on the other side of the country from your home area and posting notes on CO's cache pages telling them to mark the trackables missing when you have no first hand knowledge of that being the case. It is not a stretch to call this behavior stalking and is not likely to garner the respect of the general caching community which seems to be a prerequisite for consideration as a Groundspeak volunteer reviewer/moderator.

If I were you I would take the pumpkin pooches advice. Get a little more experience looking for, finding and hiding geocaches before you start making suggestions about how to make the site better. Perhaps that will calm you down a bit and you'll learn that it's best not to try and force your opinions on to people that have been doing it long enough to have well formed opinions of their own.

by the way......

it's not in the cache.

like i said....

Neither is the CO.

Last time I check the cache owner is only required to have a log in the cache. Might want to take this up with the person claiming to have placed it in the cache, seems like they are the one "advertising" it as being there.

I will throw a few thoughts out.... I see travelers as the property of their owner/creator, hence their responsibility to maintain their status. However, that can only be done with CO and other player's help. Once they start traveling, it totally unreasonable to think a traveler owner can visit a specific cache, if it is out of their area. The solution is pretty easy actually. If someone notices that a traveler is not in a cache send the owner a note. Done. It's the owner's responsibility to start a little detective work to find out if it is in deed missing. The owner could contact the last few loggers to find out if the TB was noticed when they visited the cache, they could speak to the CO for a quick visit. etc etc. Through a little work, via email you should be able fairly quickly to figure out it's story, then develop a plan of action. I really enjoy travelers. I have worked hard to make mine unique, funny, and or thought provoking. I am vested in their survival. They are my virtual little kids traveling the world. If you don't want to make the effort to maintain your travelers then you probably shouldn't play. They can be a lot of work, but a lot of enjoyment. Of course, it always like a death when one is missing, lost or stolen. If we all just work together we can stop this epidemic of CAPSLOCK proportions

i agree with everything.......

but....Groundspeak has given COs the ability to delete trackablesfrom their inventory list.

so it obviously has delegated more responsibility to THEM then you let on.

and like i said, "it's a solvable problem".

i'd be willing to delete 1000s of these.

Can you become a reviewer and then do this?

i hope so.

that's what i want.

I hope this isn't too agressive for you, but here is the Knowledge Books article on Becoming a Volunteer Cache Reviewer. They do not yet have a position of Volunteer Trackables Manager.

While you are in the Knowledge Books, if you happen to stumble across the part that states that marking TBs as missing is a part of a cache owner's maintenance reponsibilities, would you please link to that? I tried to find it, but couldn't.

Policing trackable inventories is NOT A REQUIRED DUTY for cache reviewers. Did you see the caps? Yeah, I was shouting. Please focus your mission to assign blame in a different direction: trackable owners would be the best place to start.

that's fine.

but i know it is done.

i saw a post by someone saying they delete about 1000 trackables a year.

and in reguard to teackable owners.

i'm not sure why, but MANY don't care.

but the difference between the TOs and the COs is.... the COs are advertising/offering something special to us 'players of the game'. but they're not coming thru on their promise. it's like false advertising. and AFTER you're lured into coming to their store to shop, the game is changed. they don't have the product that's been advertised

I have worked with three reviewers over seven years, and I personally have never once heard of a reviewer marking trackables as missing. That is an option for cache owners, but it often isn't done for several reasons.

For one thing, the TB/Coin may have been picked up, but not yet logged. How long should a cache owner wait before deciding to mark it missing?

For another thing, the cache owner may very well not know that the trackables are missing. Sometimes somebody will add that to their log, but again... that does not mean that it is missing. It only means that it hasn't been logged yet. I will sometimes mark them missing from my caches in those situations, but only if nobody else has logged the cache for some time.

Another reason is that cache owners frequently don't scan their cache pages to see what the current inventory is.

Cache owners are most certainly NOT "advertising/offering something special to us 'players of the game'"! The trackables inventory is a feature that Groundspeak added to the cache page, and it is controlled/maintained by those that drop and retrieve trackables. The cache page display is just that... a display. To call it "false advertising" is very, very wrong.

I would not normally bring this up, but since you are implying that cache owners are neglecting their maintenance responsibilities, I must point out that you have not yet experienced those responsibilities for yourself, so perhaps until you do, you should be a little careful of the fingers that you point.

let's not get our panties all up in a bunch here.

let's just take the COs out of the equation.

let other people ( volunteers like me ) handle it.

:blink: Huh? Panties??? Bunch??? I think I just gave you, who came on board here with his panties in a bunch caps-lock on, a very rational list of reasons why what you see as a pantie-bunching problem exists. I ended that rational list by rationally pointing out that you should walk a mile in someone's shoes before you get too critical of them.

I will not let a volunteer (you or other) handle my trackables, thank you. As a trackable owner, I can also mark my own trackables missing.

my respone was due to the aggressive nature of your post.

and you seem to be contradicting yourself.

you makes lots of excuses for not logging trackables as missing.

including........

"The trackables inventory is a feature that Groundspeak added to the cache page, and it is controlled/maintained by those that drop and retrieve trackables."

and then you turn around and say.............

"I will not let a volunteer (you or other) handle my trackables, thank you."

i don't want to walk a mile in your shoes.

if you or anyone else has too many hides out there to properly maintain them, maybe it's time to put them up for adoption or archive them

My post was not aggressive in the least.

by the way......

it's not in the cache.

Yes, I recieved the note that you posted on my cache. It is none of your business to be policing my caches from a distance and posting notes on them. That is how I define aggression.

EXMAN: Travel Bug Dog Tag

this is not in your cache

it needs tobe logged as

'MISSING

Please do not do that again.

oh, but i fully intend to go through ALL of your caches.

and if any of the listed trackablesare missing........

i do fully intend to place a note on your page.

And off the cliff the bus drives.

IBTL?

...edited to add the quote...for prosperity.

Edited by GeotaggedBloger

[<snip>

i agree with everything.......

but....Groundspeak has given COs the ability to delete trackablesfrom their inventory list.

so it obviously has delegated more responsibility to THEM then you let on.

GS only gives the CO the responsibility to work with the traveler owner. The CO has the ability, but does he/she have the right to delete a TB from an inventory list when it is not their property? I see it as a team work situation. If a CO attempts to contact the traveler's owner...and gets no response, then I wouldn't have a problem with it being deleted. However, having a traveler deleted without any respect to the owner, will probably cause some problems, or at the very least ill will. I find most players/CO easy to communicate with. Most are willing to help you out if you are reasonable. My biggest concern it theft. I just don't see a way to deal it it, just short of placing a LoJack beacon on my TBs.

Edited by Russ!
if a trackable can set a mission statment for it, and request that it not be placed in puzzle caches etc...then why can't you advertise that you don't want trackables in your cahe? seems like a reasonable request.

It's a reasonable request. But I can't prohibit it. If making the request cut the travelers in half, I would still have over 1000 trackables coming through my cache, and occasionally getting electronically stranded, sometimes generating angry logs or emails from people who think it's my fault.

I've adapted by being nice about it. I respecting that trackables are a part of this listing site's game. I'm lucky to have a cache that attracts visitors, and therefore trackables, so I do what I can to occasionally update the inventory and I try to develop a thick skin when I get the occasional log or email yelling at me for not making the side game a high priority.

But I'm not enticing people to come visit my cache with a list of trackables. That's the trackable owners, the trackable movers, and the code that displays the information on the cache page which I cannot control.

And... there it is! The sound of a thread [and an argument] imploding!

Fortunately, the knower of chad can delete pointless, spammy notes.

And... there it is! The sound of a thread [and an argument] imploding!

Fortunately, the knower of chad can delete pointless, spammy notes.

He's not posting notes, he's posting Needs Maintanance Logs which CO's can't delete. They acan however request that a reviewer do it which is what I would do in this case.

a what's the big deal about an NM anyway.

people seem to think of it as a slap in the face.

it's only an alert that there is an issue with the cache that needs to be dealt with.

many COs ignore them anyway, which is another issue that needs to be addressed.

hiding a cache is a privilege, not a right.

if the cache is not maintained, that privilge should be taken away, opening that space for a cache placed by someone who cares.

and what i'm attempting to do here is only to make the game more fun.

i enjoy the game.

i care.

Missing travel bugs is not really a good reason to post NM on a cache.

I don't really see the problem. I learned a while back to ignore the inventory list altogether.

There are a lot of times when TB's are removed from a cache before the person who placed it there even gets a chance to log it into that cache.

Perhaps you could post a feedback thread asking Groudspeak to remove the inventory from the cache listing. That should take care of the problem.

We just need someone with 500+ hides to poo-poo the idea of keeping the trackables inventory up to date: then EXMAN (I hope that's not a medical reference) will busy him/herself for days trawling through each listing. *sigh*

But actually I agree with the basic premise that COs should mark as missing trackables that have gone AWOL from the cache. Some of the respondents to this thread haven't done that, even when the trackable has been missing for a long time. That's a bit laissez-faire for my liking.

Policing trackable inventories is NOT A REQUIRED DUTY for cache reviewers. Did you see the caps? Yeah, I was shouting. Please focus your mission to assign blame in a different direction: trackable owners would be the best place to start.

that's fine.

but i know it is done.

No they're not! Groundspeak allows finders to log TB's onto the cache page. The CO does NOT put those TB's into the inventory.

And if you are lured to a cache based on the promise of getting a TB, then you don't learn very quickly. It doesn't take long at all to figure out that the TB inventory is virtually useless.

if only a poll could be done.

the cachers that enjoy trackables would be behind me 100%.

if only they knew that discussion wass going on.

WRONG!

I enjoy trackables and I am not behind you at all. I understand your frustrations to a point. But I think a huge part of the problem is that it seems you have not hidden any caches. Hide a few and then you might be in a position to spout off about the duties of a CO.

If it were up to me, I would have Groundspeak remove the inventory from the listing. I don't know how it would be possible since it would totally screw with mileage, but I think having that list on the cache page causes more angst than it's worth.

If you had to pick someone to get all angsty with, it would probably be the TB owner's themselves. And I can tell you as the owner of a couple of TB's that I just don't get that worked up over it to keep daily tabs on where they are or if they are incorrectly logged into a cache.

If someone were to send me a nicely worded email I would probably go mark it as missing. But if someone emailed me telling me how it was my job to do this or that, I would likely ignore them.

that's fine.

but i know it is done.

I have worked with three reviewers over seven years, and I personally have never once heard of a reviewer marking trackables as missing. That is an option for cache owners, but it often isn't done for several reasons.

For one thing, the TB/Coin may have been picked up, but not yet logged. How long should a cache owner wait before deciding to mark it missing?

For another thing, the cache owner may very well not know that the trackables are missing. Sometimes somebody will add that to their log, but again... that does not mean that it is missing. It only means that it hasn't been logged yet. I will sometimes mark them missing from my caches in those situations, but only if nobody else has logged the cache for some time.

Another reason is that cache owners frequently don't scan their cache pages to see what the current inventory is.

Cache owners are most certainly NOT "advertising/offering something special to us 'players of the game'"! The trackables inventory is a feature that Groundspeak added to the cache page, and it is controlled/maintained by those that drop and retrieve trackables. The cache page display is just that... a display. To call it "false advertising" is very, very wrong.

I would not normally bring this up, but since you are implying that cache owners are neglecting their maintenance responsibilities, I must point out that you have not yet experienced those responsibilities for yourself, so perhaps until you do, you should be a little careful of the fingers that you point.

let's not get our panties all up in a bunch here.

let's just take the COs out of the equation.

let other people ( volunteers like me ) handle it.

:blink: Huh? Panties??? Bunch??? I think I just gave you, who came on board here with his panties in a bunch caps-lock on, a very rational list of reasons why what you see as a pantie-bunching problem exists. I ended that rational list by rationally pointing out that you should walk a mile in someone's shoes before you get too critical of them.

I will not let a volunteer (you or other) handle my trackables, thank you. As a trackable owner, I can also mark my own trackables missing.

my respone was due to the aggressive nature of your post.

and you seem to be contradicting yourself.

you makes lots of excuses for not logging trackables as missing.

including........

"The trackables inventory is a feature that Groundspeak added to the cache page, and it is controlled/maintained by those that drop and retrieve trackables."

and then you turn around and say.............

"I will not let a volunteer (you or other) handle my trackables, thank you."

if you or anyone else has too many hides out there to properly maintain them, maybe it's time to put them up for adoption or archive them

That is just about the most arrogant post I have read in a while.

Knowschad's post was not aggressive. If you want to see aggressive, re-read your opening post.

He also did not contradict himself. It is one thing for someone who has your TB in his or her hands to log it in or out of a cache. It's another thing altogether to have someone who has never even seen your TB marking it missing.

You don't want to walk a mile in a cache owner's shoes? Then I really don't see why anyone should listen to anything else you have to say on this topic because until you have maintained caches you don't know what you're talking about!

a what's the big deal about an NM anyway.

people seem to think of it as a slap in the face.

it's only an alert that there is an issue with the cache that needs to be dealt with.

many COs ignore them anyway, which is another issue that needs to be addressed.

hiding a cache is a privilege, not a right.

if the cache is not maintained, that privilge should be taken away, opening that space for a cache placed by someone who cares.

and what i'm attempting to do here is only to make the game more fun.

i enjoy the game.

i care.

Missing travel bugs is not really a good reason to post NM on a cache.

I don't really see the problem. I learned a while back to ignore the inventory list altogether.

There are a lot of times when TB's are removed from a cache before the person who placed it there even gets a chance to log it into that cache.

Perhaps you could post a feedback thread asking Groudspeak to remove the inventory from the cache listing. That should take care of the problem.

Exactly. As a geocache hider, I am by default without any control of my own, giving people the option to place travel bugs in my cache. There is no way to disallow this on the site. So even if my cache is in good condition, with a current log book, pen, etc, somebody can some along and post a NM log saying there is a TB listed in inventory but not in the cache.

Please don't post a NM for this kind of thing. Just post a note if it bothers you that much for the TB inventory not to be current.

Yes, you did say, "Let's take the CO out of the equation and let volunteers do it". (paraphrase)

But then you said this:

both of my comments are saying the same thing, and that is........

stop making excuses for not maintaining your trackables inventory.

if you don't want to do it, let someone who cares do it for you.

And I say hide a few caches and then climb back up on your high horse if you still feel the same way.

OR

Let's just archive all the darn things so we don't have to deal with people who are not willing to hide a few caches of their own so they know what the deal is!

by the way......

it's not in the cache.

like i said....

NO ONE IS ADVERTISING THAT THEY HAVE SOMETHING IN THEIR CACHE.

Groundspeak is allowing finders to log items in and out of caches. And frankly it probably has more to do with proper mileage than it has to do with letting anyone know it's there.

And if I were Knowschad I would contact Groundspeak and report you for abusing the logging tools and provide them a link to your post.

And off the cliff the bus drives.

IBTL?

I was just thinking that :ph34r:

You could be right. The OP's attitude on this subject is not endearing me to his cause (although I have sympathy for it!)

MrsB :D

It's making my blood boil.

I'm gonna leave this topic for a while and see about putting together a feeback proposal.

And I thought my type A personality in posting the trackable as not in cache, and one on the trackable page saying not in cache, was overdoing it.

I ran across one recently where the cache was actually stolen in 2009 I think. The trackable owner posts a note that they thought Canadians were better than that. Trackable owner doesn't post as missing, CO replaces cache but doesn't mark as missing.

I would be willing to notify a mod or "a higher power" to these circumstances to have them properly marked as missing.

The cache listing includes information (presence of a trackable) that will draw certain types of people to the cache, yet the CO knows this information to be false. That's poor cache(-listing) maintenance if the problem is a persistent one.

And I thought my type A personality in posting the trackable as not in cache, and one on the trackable page saying not in cache, was overdoing it.

I actually appreciate these notes. When I do go through the trackable inventory for my caches, these help me determine boundaries for at least how long something may have been missing.

The cache listing includes information (presence of a trackable) that will draw certain types of people to the cache, yet the CO knows this information to be false. That's poor cache(-listing) maintenance if the problem is a persistent one.

I've suggested a remedy for us bad 'ole cache owners who don't maintain our travel bug inventory lists properly.

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/2360118-remove-the-travel-bug-inventory-list-from-cache-li

I ran across one recently where the cache was actually stolen in 2009 I think. The trackable owner posts a note that they thought Canadians were better than that. Trackable owner doesn't post as missing, CO replaces cache but doesn't mark as missing.

I would be willing to notify a mod or "a higher power" to these circumstances to have them properly marked as missing.

It is perfectly acceptable to mention that a TB is missing when you are posting your find log.

It is also perfectly acceptable to realize that most TB inventory lists are inaccurate and treat them as such.

I've suggested a remedy for us bad 'ole cache owners who don't maintain our travel bug inventory lists properly.

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/2360118-remove-the-travel-bug-inventory-list-from-cache-li

Hmmm... I wonder if this will releive the problem of harvesting/hording as well... If there is no advertisment that a trackable is in a cache, it removes the enirticement for thieves and horders to go to caches that bugs are listed in,

Hmmm... I wonder if this will releive the problem of harvesting/hording as well... If there is no advertisment that a trackable is in a cache, it removes the enirticement for thieves and horders to go to caches that bugs are listed in,

Hope you don't mind me adding that. I didn't even consider that reason.

Sure, no problem... I'm not sold on the idea, wondering what the negative affects might be.

Sure, no problem... I'm not sold on the idea, wondering what the negative affects might be.

Right off the top I'd say screwed up mileage would be a huge negative. But there has to be a way to allow proper logging without having the inventory list on the page.

And if I were Knowschad I would contact Groundspeak and report you for abusing the logging tools and provide them a link to your post.

Another one just came in:

EXMAN posted a note for Fossil Cache (Traditional Cache) at 11/1/2011

Log Date: 11/1/2011

"Horns River (KY)" Red Jeep Travel Bug

according to the logs

this has not been in the cache since 6/04/11

it needs to be logged as

'MISSING'

nice chatting with you all.

i think we've got everything ironed out, right?

Well, have you had a chance yet to look through the Knowledge Books? I'm sure that bit about cache owners having to maintain their travel bug inventory is in there somewhere. I was hoping you could find what I was unable to locate.

I'm curious about the specific incident that set you off on this tangent. Obviously, it is not because you yourself are so vigilant with the inventories on your own hides, so it must have been something else. What pushed you over the edge, anyway?

according to the logs

it needs to be logged as

'MISSING'

is it not true?

all of your other caches are fine.

nice job 'maintaining' those inventory lists.

As a pilot I'm happy you are retired. You, however, have been 'off the reservation' on this one. I can't comprehend your logic process at all. I'm in pretty good company too, way more experienced cachers than me seem to agree. Looking up knowschads caches and writing your graffiti on them was just the icing on the cake.

if someone asked for a 'wind check' did you just tell them to 'confirm ATIS Bravo' or did you cooperate for the greater good and help another out? That spirit would go far here too.

according to the logs

it needs to be logged as

'MISSING'

is it not true?

I don't know if its true, or not. I haven't visited the cache since the person reported it not in the cache. Believe it, or not, travel bugs can sometimes be overlooked.

You obviously don't know, though, since you haven't visited my cache, either.

according to the logs

it needs to be logged as

'MISSING'

is it not true?

Knowschad makes a good point. Mind pointing out where cache owners are told that they are to maintain the inventory lists?

Someone correct me if I am wrong. I seem to remember a few years back that cache owners were not even allowed to mark trackables as missing. I believe this ability was granted after some co's requested due in part to people like the OP bugging the living daylights out of them when they didn't find trackables in their caches but they were still listed in the inventory list.

Could someone with a better memory than mine confirm or correct this memory?

according to the logs

it needs to be logged as

'MISSING'

is it not true?

You still haven't answered my Knowledge Books question. I am waiting for an answer.