pmo cache question

FloridaFour

Can I change my caches from regular to PMO or the other way around? I am planning a cache that I want to be PMO, but I do have a friend who's not a PM that would like to hunt for it.

Sure, you can. Just go to the Edit page for the cache and check or uncheck the Premium Member only box as needed.

The action you describe is common practice. Go right ahead as there is nothing wrong with that.

...just leave it a PMO and give the info to my friend and let them look for it.

This, I believe, would be a violation of the TOU, supplying information to those not entitled to same.

Actually there is a well known back door, and someone correct me if I am wrong, that even Jeremy endorces for non Premium Members to log PMO caches. I just don't know if it is considered bad form to tell someone how to do it in the forums.

The action you describe is common practice. Go right ahead as there is nothing wrong with that.

This, I believe, would be a violation of the TOU, supplying information to those not entitled to same.

If it was given directly, NOT using the site, there would be no violation in any form. Besides ANYONE can hunt for a PMO cache if they want to and log it. Heck until recently you could download the coordinates for a PMO directly from the site itself. That was fixed either last or previous upgrade. You can still log them at that spot as well AFAIK. Personally I occasionally hunt them from the site provided information and prefer the 'mystery' route, and always have. Happily, around here PMOs haven't been needed, but a few have been placed for security situations and ONE placed to challenge ME... nice to have friends,eh! Didn't work though. Only one tried that I didn't find was do to high water levels and lack of time to revisit it. Of course hunting the puzzle method, does not allow one any information other than the rough location, no hints, description (D/T, size, hazards etc.), which is what is fun about it...

Doug 7rxc

I don't think this would be a problem. As I read it, there is nothing in the TOU to prevent a cache owner from providing a friend with the "site materials" that he or she owns. A CO may give out the coordinates to beta test, cross list the information on another site, or provide a friend with the information after it has been published. The TOU protects a CO from those who would use the material without consent.

Nonsense. A cache owner can give out information about their cache to anyone they like. They can even cross list their cache on other geocaching sites.

The backdoor for basic members to log PMO caches is there for this reason and for the case when a basic member goes caching with a premium member and finds the cache. Perhaps with the current TOUs, a PMO cache owner could ask Groundspeak to ban a cacher who published the hidden coordinates for a basic member to use without consent.

Edited by tozainamboku

Actually there is a well known back door, and someone correct me if I am wrong, that even Jeremy endorces for non Premium Members to log PMO caches. I just don't know if it is considered bad form to tell someone how to do it in the forums.

Various backdoor methods have been posted on the forums, more than once.

A forum search should be successful in finding those posts.

Not if the CO is the one who's giving out the information. It's their cache, their listing, their information, they can do whatever they want with it.

Wow, I had no idea about a backdoor.... My kids are not PMs and lots of caches I go to are PMO.

For me, the purpose of PMO is to prevent my hand carved letterbox hybrid stamp from being stolen by people who just use their phones to steal things...I know everyone has their own reasons, and differs from cache to cache. All mmy other are not PMO, and I have to replace muggled ones several times a year. But this one will take me too much effort to replace.

Thanks for all the replies!!!!! :D

It might be bad forum to talk about the backdoor, but sometimes I just like to cruise over to geocachingadmin.com and see what I can log.

In addition, my signature has the links necessary for logging PMO's. But one has to ask why? Isn't your friend the very type of person you are tying to keep away from the cache in the fist place?

Your signature looks like a bunch of mumbo jumbo to me.

It might be bad forum to talk about the backdoor, but sometimes I just like to cruise over to geocachingadmin.com and see what I can log.

In addition, my signature has the links necessary for logging PMO's. But one has to ask why? Isn't your friend the very type of person you are tying to keep away from the cache in the fist place?

I think he was referring to the links, not the political commentary.

Groundspeaks mindset on Basic Members logging MOC caches.

Discussion of methods to log MOCs by basic members.

Edited by knowschad

Not sure which browser you're using, it looks ok in Firefox and IE.

Here are the links;

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?s=&showtopic=245047&view=findpost&p=4323984

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=ST&f=8&t=207363