Etrex 20 and profiles

sussamb
Followers 3

I'm running 2.20 on my Etrex 20 due to the apparent problems with 2.30, can anyone else running 2.20 confirm whether changes to which maps are selected in one profile are copied across to other profiles? I've set up 3 profiles, one for hiking, one for caching and one for auto use. Everytime I disable my topo maps in the auto profile they're disabled in my hiking and caching profiles, which is not helpful nor logical. Rich Owings at GPS tracklog says it works correctly but he's running 2.30.

Any help/thoughts appreciated as apart from this little niggle I love my new toy!

Update:

Just installed 2.40. I still can't get changes to the maps selected in one profile only, changes are universal and affect the maps in every other profile. If anyone has managed to set up different map selections in different profiles could they please explain how they've done it?

What I do is select my Automobile profile, select Setup>Maps>Map Info. Highlight my BirdsEye map, click on it which then gives me the enable/disable options. I disable the BirdsEye map, and that then doesn't show while I'm in Automobile profile. Problem is that when I then switch profiles, to either Recreational (which I use when I'm hiking) or Geocaching the BirdsEye map that I want enabled is also disabled in those profiles.

Any help appreciated!

Update:

Just installed 2.40. I still can't get changes to the maps selected in one profile only, changes are universal and affect the maps in every other profile. If anyone has managed to set up different map selections in different profiles could they please explain how they've done it?

What I do is select my Automobile profile, select Setup>Maps>Map Info. Highlight my BirdsEye map, click on it which then gives me the enable/disable options. I disable the BirdsEye map, and that then doesn't show while I'm in Automobile profile. Problem is that when I then switch profiles, to either Recreational (which I use when I'm hiking) or Geocaching the BirdsEye map that I want enabled is also disabled in those profiles.

Any help appreciated!

Have you tried with actual maps instead of BirdsEye? Could be that the problem is only with BirdsEye.

I'm not using BirdsEye and am not having any problems.

@ Allory

Just thinking about this again your idea may be right. Although it's a map file I've just noticed it's a .jnx file and not a .img file. I wonder if that's why it doesn't work properly? I'll have to experiment some more!

Edit: Yep, it's that, thanx Allory. It seems that you can have different .img files in each profile but .jnx files are either enabled or disabled in ALL profiles. Need to contact Garmin!

Edited by sussamb

just downloaded 2.40. for my Etrex 30,Works great !

One thing that has been bugging me though, so perhaps someone might be able to help.

when i select a waypoint (not a geocache) and then go to map, i would like to be able to select the Geocache setup as my view, data boxes plus compass. but if i do that it points me to the nearest cache instead. the other options are either data boxes, or compass but not both together. Am i missing something or is it something that Garmin can change ??

thanks

Nick

Hi, thanks for the reply but it really doesn't work on mine. im surprised it works on yours.

all the other options work, ie recreational, 2 data fields, 4 data fields etc., all say the right information ( distance, ETA etc) its just the Geocaching mode .

Strangely when in the geocaching view/mode, the pink line still draws me to my waypoint/location, but the data and the name at the top refers to the closest cache to my current location.

Is anyone else having this problem please.

Well it will (I think) as I'm getting slightly confused as to what you're hoping to do (earlier you said you wanted to go to a waypoint, now you want to go to a geocache?).

Either way if you are navigating somewhere and then want to go somewhere else you need to tap Where To>Stop Navigation, then Where To>Geocache and select the geocache you want. Your Etrex has been told by you to navigate to a waypoint, its not to know that you want to now go to a geocache.

On my Oregon 450 this is exactly how the Geocaching dashboard works - the compass always points to the nearest geocache, even when navigating to another cache or waypoint / POI.

I may not be the only one who's confused about the difference between the geocaching profile and the geocaching dashboard. I think you can choose any of the dashboards within any of the profiles, correct?

The relationship between these two choices is another topic that Garmin doesn't explain on their support website. :-(

On my Oregon 450 this is exactly how the Geocaching dashboard works - the compass always points to the nearest geocache, even when navigating to another cache or waypoint / POI.

I may not be the only one who's confused about the difference between the geocaching profile and the geocaching dashboard. I think you can choose any of the dashboards within any of the profiles, correct?

The relationship between these two choices is another topic that Garmin doesn't explain on their support website. :-(

The profiles are just predefined settings. You can change them at will. You can also add, delete, rename profiles at will, including the predefined ones. There's nothing "magic" about the predefined geocaching profile.

Edited by dfx

The profiles are just predefined settings. You can change them at will. You can also add, delete, rename profiles at will, including the predefined ones. There's nothing "magic" about the predefined geocaching profile.

I know you can redefine a profile or create a new one; I've already created a new profile for benchmark hunting on my eTrex 20. I was talking about the confusion between profiles and dashboards.

Sorry if ive confused you all, that wasnt my intention.

I think AndyT1 is on my wavelength.

I'll explain again.

Say, I want to go to "someplace" whether this is a waypoint/POI/place on map/recent place. BUT NOT A Geocache (for now anyway)

So i set my 'Go to' to that place and click 'GO'

then i go to the maps screen to walk to my location.

So now, when in the maps screen, i can choose the way my screen looks.

Because i would like the 'View' to see some data fields and a compass and map at the same time, the only option to do this, is the 'Geocaching' option.

However this is the Problem....

At the top of the screen ( ie the Geocaching bit) the data is all refering to a geocache, which is closest too me which happens to be in my Cache file.

Why doesnt it point to where i have choosen.

Surely, im not the only person to have noticed this.

many thanks

Strangely when in the geocaching view/mode, the pink line still draws me to my waypoint/location, but the data and the name at the top refers to the closest cache to my current location.

Is anyone else having this problem please.

Yes, I see the same thing on my eTrex 20. I suggest that when you're navigating to a waypoint that isn't a geocache, you change your map display settings. Either choose a dashboard other than the one called Geocaching, or ignore the preset dashboards and set up the data fields of your choice for the map.

If we are talking about the same thing the dashboard that you are using is called " Geocaching - Nearest"

It does what it is supposed to - point to the nearest Geocache, nothing else.

When the geocache you are navigating to actually does become the nearest then the info at the top of the screen pertains to the cache that you are navigating to.

Of course I am asuming the ETrex works the same as the Orgon.

Can you post a screenshot?

If we are talking about the same thing the dashboard that you are using is called " Geocaching - Nearest"

It does what it is supposed to - point to the nearest Geocache, nothing else.

When the geocache you are navigating to actually does become the nearest then the info at the top of the screen pertains to the cache that you are navigating to.

Of course I am asuming the ETrex works the same as the Orgon.

Can you post a screenshot?

I'll try and post a screenshot later.

i dont think that i have as many options on my Etrex 30 as you do on the Oregon. for example we just have the option of Geocache, not geocache nearest.

In reply to Winertimes reply, how do you set up data + compass + map ? you can't can you. Or if youve done it, please could you let me know how.

thanks again.

Nick

i dont think that i have as many options on my Etrex 30 as you do on the Oregon. for example we just have the option of Geocache, not geocache nearest.

The other option (at least on my Oregon) is the "geocaching - active" dashboard. This will (should) point to and contain the info of the geocache that you're navigating to. However, if you're not navigating to a geocache (which is also the case when you're navigating to something else, like a waypoint) then it will behave like the "geocaching - nearest" dashboard. In other words, if you want to navigate to something other than a geocache, then you can't use any of the geocaching dashboards.

In reply to Winertimes reply, how do you set up data + compass + map ? you can't can you. Or if youve done it, please could you let me know how.

My personal preference is the map screen with the "small data fields" dashboard. One of the data fields is set to "pointer" and another to "distance to destination", which together behave like a compass (kinda, anyway).

I can now see what you're trying to do, although I'm not sure why, must be me being stupid. With that much info on the map screen I'd be concerned about losing too much of the map display. I have the compass page separate so I can toggle between the 2 using the 'back' button.

I'll play with mine (!) and see if I can manage what you're after though I think you're right, it can't be done.

Edit: Well if it can be done I can't manage it :(

Edited by sussamb

I can now see what you're trying to do, although I'm not sure why, must be me being stupid. With that much info on the map screen I'd be concerned about losing too much of the map display. I have the compass page separate so I can toggle between the 2 using the 'back' button.

I'll play with mine (!) and see if I can manage what you're after though I think you're right, it can't be done.

Edit: Well if it can be done I can't manage it :(

I can use a little help on this one. On my Etrex 20 I cannot find a way to either change or delete a profile. (I can rename it, but that is hardly changing the profile.)

I can use a little help on this one. On my Etrex 20 I cannot find a way to either change or delete a profile. (I can rename it, but that is hardly changing the profile.)

Once you have your profile loaded, you can then change what you want while your are in the profile.

To delete a profile, go Setup > Profiles > highlight the profile you want to delete, push down on the joy stick, Choose Delete

(unneeded quotage deleted)

To delete a profile, go Setup > Profiles > highlight the profile you want to delete, push down on the joy stick, Choose Delete

I strongly suggest that folks save the Profiles folder before changing or deleting anything. I had a small heart failure when I created a new profile and suddenly couldn't see any others. They came back when I rebooted the GPSr, but then I backed up all the profiles in case anything disappears in the future.

Patty

I may not be the only one who's confused about the difference between the geocaching profile and the geocaching dashboard. I think you can choose any of the dashboards within any of the profiles, correct? The relationship between these two choices is another topic that Garmin doesn't explain on their support website. :-(
Once you have your profile loaded, you can then change what you want while your are in the profile.To delete a profile, go Setup > Profiles > highlight the profile you want to delete, push down on the joy stick, Choose Delete

The Delete option isn't available. I have an Etrex 20 with firmware version 2.40. I created a new profile that needs refining or deletion. The system cleverly called it Profile 6. When I go into setup > Profiles > Profile 6 (selected by pushing joystick) my only options are "Edit Name," and "Move Up." If I press the Menu button at any of the three levels (when profiles is highlighted, or at the list of profiles, or in profile 6) all I get is the message No Options.

I haven't tried making changes to something, say the dashboard, while the profile is active (I presume that is what you mean by "profile loaded") to see if the change persists through a profile selection change and/or a power cycle. I'll give that a try and if it works, I can get by without the strangely missing delete function.

I did notice a Profile 6.gpf file in the Garmin\Profiles\ directory, but I'm reluctant to edit the system options by moving or removing items at the file system level.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Any changes you make to a profile are automatically saved, so no need to 'save' anything.

As for the delete function, something isn't working right as the delete option comes up on mine. The only time it shouldn't is when you only have one profile in the list. Note that delete doesn't work on the FIRST profile on the list. To delete that one you need to move it down first. Maybe that's your problem?

The .gpf files ARE the profile files, and are worth backing up occasionally as Patty says. You are also perfectly safe to delete any you don't want/need, just leave at least one!

Edited by sussamb

i have just looked at my etrex 30 and this is what i think.

when you go into setup and click 'create profile' is saves your current settings to be 'that profile' at that time. You can then change the name of it if you want or move it up and down.

You cannot delete it at this stage because it is your current profile ! (profile means current setup, ie colours, positions of icons on screen, particular data fields etc etc)

if you create another one, or select another one, then you can delete the previous one.

i hope that makes sense.

Cooper1569

i have just looked at my etrex 30 and this is what i think.

when you go into setup and click 'create profile' is saves your current settings to be 'that profile' at that time. You can then change the name of it if you want or move it up and down.

You cannot delete it at this stage because it is your current profile ! (profile means current setup, ie colours, positions of icons on screen, particular data fields etc etc)

if you create another one, or select another one, then you can delete the previous one.

i hope that makes sense.

Cooper1569

That's a big DUH and head slap for me. I thought I had tried switching profiles away from the one I wanted to delete but obviously not. Thanks for turning on the light for me!