Bookmarklets

DavidMac

I happened across This website and decided that the bookmarklet concept was an easy way to bypass the Search page and make searching for caches faster. While I only have limited knowledge of javascript, I did find a way to create custom ones. Basically, a it is a few short lines of javascript code (2, to be exact) in place of a URL that can perform basic functions and can be saved as a bookmark.I have created several of my own for searching geocaching.com; I'm hoping the link works in these forums...

Search by Zip

Search for Waypoint

Search by Keyword

Caches found by...

Caches hidden by...

If those don't work, I can put them on my webpage and provide a link. They should be able to be saved as bookmarks and accessed any time, though some of them are fairly long. Just hoping that they don't create some sort of obnoxious load on the serve that would violate some user policy or get someone banned from the site icon_razz.gif. I know that many sites (not sure about GC.com) frown on using bots to gather information, but I dont think this is quite the same concept...

...Not all who wander are lost... unless the batteries in their GPS die, their maps get ruined by rainwater when their pack leaks, and they find themselves in a laurel thicket. Then, they are probably lost.

-DavidMac; (formerly Someonenameddave)

Hmmm...don't work for me. Working ones are on my page.

...Not all who wander are lost... unless the batteries in their GPS die, their maps get ruined by rainwater when their pack leaks, and they find themselves in a laurel thicket. Then, they are probably lost.

-DavidMac; (formerly Someonenameddave)

quote:
Originally posted by DavidMac:

Just hoping that they don't create some sort of obnoxious load on the server that would violate some user policy or get someone banned from the site icon_razz.gif. I know that many sites (not sure about GC.com) frown on using bots to gather information, but I dont think this is quite the same concept...

This wouldn't add to the server load. If anything, it would decrease the server load since it is not having to serve up the 'HIDE & SEEK A CACHE' page as often. Definitely not the same thing as a bot.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"