11-11-11 cache ideas?

jmobr

LOL....this date is no more significant than others! It's really 11-11-2011. Spoils the fun when you add those pesky two digits, doesn't it? :) Now if it was 11-11-1111 that would be interesting. But, the closest we can ever come is 2-22-2222 @ 22:22. That is, unless we restart at year 1 like in the movie 2012. :)

Edited by Clayshooter

On 11/11/11 after work I actually will be getting on the train to Paris to visit a friend, and we're going to the France v USA game that night (yes there really is one, talk about a way to celebrate the anniversary of the Treaty of Versailles! :laughing: ). Hoping to get a cache in then... day after we're going to Luxembourg for a day so if nothing else I'll get a new country that weekend. :)

On 11/11/11 after work I actually will be getting on the train to Paris to visit a friend, and we're going to the France v USA game that night (yes there really is one, talk about a way to celebrate the anniversary of the Treaty of Versailles! :laughing: ). Hoping to get a cache in then... day after we're going to Luxembourg for a day so if nothing else I'll get a new country that weekend. :)

I want your life

I want your life

Move to Europe.

It's fairly easy to hit a couple different countries on a weekend by taking the train or even driving. Paris is only about 5.5 hours by car from Amsterdam (where Yvette lives) and you'll have to go through Belgium to get there. It's a "little bit" out of the way to go through Luxumburg on the way back but certainly doable via train. Still, I'm amazed at how much travel she does at such a young age.

I'm going to Buffalo this weekend. :huh:

Shouldn't France, the UK and US team up against Germany for that game?

I'm going to Buffalo this weekend. :huh:

At least your states are small and you can hit a few in a weekend. But yeah, Europe sounds way better! B)

I want your life

Move to Europe.

It's fairly easy to hit a couple different countries on a weekend by taking the train or even driving. Paris is only about 5.5 hours by car from Amsterdam (where Yvette lives) and you'll have to go through Belgium to get there. It's a "little bit" out of the way to go through Luxumburg on the way back but certainly doable via train. Still, I'm amazed at how much travel she does at such a young age.

You know, that's not a bad idea. Now that I'm single again I've been wondering what to do with myself.

The better half of team hzoi and I will be up around Alabama's highest point, hoping to catch the tail end of fall. Nothing numerically special, though as a veteran of OIF/OEF I'll be thinking how nice it is not to be in Southwest Asia.

I love Luxembourg. Enjoy. If you like Indian food, there's a good place in Luxembourg City, Maharaja.

I want your life

Move to Europe.

You know, that's not a bad idea. Now that I'm single again I've been wondering what to do with myself.

Yeah, PaddleCacher more or less nailed it- here in Amsterdam for me to head to Bruges for a weekend was 2.5 hours by train, and compared to when I was living in Cleveland the furthest I got in 2.5 hours of driving was Pittsburgh. Paris is just over three hours on the high-speed train line from here, so a completely doable weekend, and the friend I'm meeting up with likes to collect new countries so we're doing a daytrip over on Saturday (I think that'll be 2 hours each way or so).

In some ways mind this isn't too impressive, in case you missed the post a Dutch team just set a geocaching record of 15 countries in 24 hours. :blink:

A local cacher just had a "welcome home the troops" event cache archived due to a personal agenda. I don't get that.

I do.

I didn't get welcomed home by anyone except my wife, when she picked me up from the Frankfurt airport after my year in the sandbox. Neither did she really get any support during the year I was gone. So, believe me, I have no problem with this particular cache agenda.

But if one agenda gets an event, then all of them can, good or bad. Klan meetings, Westboro "Baptist Church" hate festivals, NAMBLA conferences, what have you. Do you want geocaching associated with this kind of agenda? 'Cause I don't.

The idea is that geocaching is about geocaching, and that's it. And if we have to keep some good agendas out to keep the bad agendas out, so be it.

Edited by hzoi

We've got a 11/11/11 at 11:pm night cache hunt planned here in Connecticut.. GC352WX 11-11 at night Though, Alfred may've put a little extra difficulty on the ratings.

Surprisingly, I was able to find quite a few caches further south, despite the rash of downed trees, limbs and branches. The CT Cachers (See Discussion) are raring to go!! Let's get out there and find it!

Stephen (gefling6)

Edited by gelfling6

Shouldn't France, the UK and US team up against Germany for that game?

LOVE THIS LMAO

A local cacher just had a "welcome home the troops" event cache archived due to a personal agenda. I don't get that.

I do.

I didn't get welcomed home by anyone except my wife, when she picked me up from the Frankfurt airport after my year in the sandbox. Neither did she really get any support during the year I was gone. So, believe me, I have no problem with this particular cache agenda.

But if one agenda gets an event, then all of them can, good or bad. Klan meetings, Westboro "Baptist Church" hate festivals, NAMBLA conferences, what have you. Do you want geocaching associated with this kind of agenda? 'Cause I don't.

The idea is that geocaching is about geocaching, and that's it. And if we have to keep some good agendas out to keep the bad agendas out, so be it.

NAMBLA - National Association of Marlon Brando Look Alikes!!!

I do.

Thank you for your service. I greatly appreciate it. You make valid points but welcoming troops leading to NAMBLA or Klan meeting events is a bit of a stretch. That would be like saying if we allow little girls to become girl scouts and join exclusive female organizations like that what's next? They become strippers?

I've attended over 20 events, several had an agenda, but they were approved, such as celebrating November, supporting a children's home, supporting an animal shelter and one at a event open to the public, which I was told be a reviewer that events created at third party events open to the public are not approvable. Just asking for consistentcy.

Edited by TerraViators

Crssedup & I are hosting an 11-11-11 event here in Charleston. There are two major 11-11-11 events nearby. One in Savannah and one in Myrtle Beach. So there won't be a huge turnout, but we get to meet other cachers in the area that aren't traveling to the big events. We have it listed on the event page to let us know if any of the cachers coming are veterans, and crssedup is a veteran, so we're going to do a little something special for them. Not huge, it's just a small meet & greet, we can't do anything huge.. but just a little something to show appreciation for their service.

Maybe not the biggest plans.. but we've never hosted a meet & greet before, so we're really looking forward to it.