Debating a new toy?

Wadders

I have been using a mio 350 for some years now as i like to use Memory map and i already have the whole of the country at 1:50 and 1:25.000

The thing i like about the Mio, is the ordnance survey maps and the size of the screen 74mm x 55mm or 3" X 2" for those of us with longer teeth :laughing:

What i don't like about it, is that i have to run cachmate alongside Memory map for descriptions etc.

So what would you recommend?

I have looked at the Satmap, but at £280 per region for 1:25000 i think it's a rip off...

Let the recommendations begin ........... B)

I have been using a mio 350 for some years now as i like to use Memory map and i already have the whole of the country at 1:50 and 1:25.000

The thing i like about the Mio, is the ordnance survey maps and the size of the screen 74mm x 55mm or 3" X 2" for those of us with longer teeth :laughing:

What i don't like about it, is that i have to run cachmate alongside Memory map for descriptions etc.

I have looked at the Satmap, but at £280 per region for 1:25000 i think it's a rip off...

I've got mine set up so that when I double-tap on the cache icon, the description (in HTML) pops up. The Mio 350 is, I think, still an excellent geocaching device. Ladysolly uses one, and swears at it.

Garmin Montana gets my vote. But you're gonna have to buy your maps all over again! As you would with the Satmap.

The only way to utilise your current significant investment in maps is to stay with a Memory Map product, either go down the Adventurer route - I can't help with any experience of said units though - the paperless geocaching side would need some investigation on that platform OR opt for a smartphone that runs Memory Map, such as an iPhone with GPS.

What aspect of Cachemate are you not liking?

Jon.

Garmin Montana gets my vote. But you're gonna have to buy your maps all over again! As you would with the Satmap.

The only way to utilise your current significant investment in maps is to stay with a Memory Map product, either go down the Adventurer route - I can't help with any experience of said units though - the paperless geocaching side would need some investigation on that platform OR opt for a smartphone that runs Memory Map, such as an iPhone with GPS.

Jon.

The fact that i have not sussed out the one click for cachemate to come up, and that on more than one occasion memory map decides that i am "trying to open a file past it's end date"

Which is a real pain!

Jon.

The fact that i have not sussed out the one click for cachemate to come up, and that on more than one occasion memory map decides that i am "trying to open a file past it's end date"

Which is a real pain!

I have been thinking the same Terry but you have to for go spoiler pics plus the added cost of maps.Think i will wait until my 60csx dies !

Used to have a Mio (still languishing in a drawer somewhere) but now have an oregon. Would never go back to the mio as the oregon is just so much more sturdy and has better battery life. I don't have that same worry about dropping it, getting it wet etc...

I do miss the 1:25000 maps, but have got used to only having 1:50000 discoverer maps and it's not actually been a problem at all. And you can still create custom maps if you do want them but it involves a bit of effort so I've never bothered.

You can still use spoilersync if you want - the oregon has a photo viewer so you can load all spoilers and take them with you.

Had a play with a satmap last summer and can see it's ok for walkers, but didn't appeal to me for caching at all. Only redeeming feature for me was the big screen size. With the oregon you would have to compromise with this - not sure what the montana is like and how much heavier it would be than the Mio but may worth be a look if screen size is important to you.

Used to have a Mio (still languishing in a drawer somewhere) but now have an oregon. Would never go back to the mio as the oregon is just so much more sturdy and has better battery life. I don't have that same worry about dropping it, getting it wet etc...

I do miss the 1:25000 maps, but have got used to only having 1:50000 discoverer maps and it's not actually been a problem at all. And you can still create custom maps if you do want them but it involves a bit of effort so I've never bothered.

You can still use spoilersync if you want - the oregon has a photo viewer so you can load all spoilers and take them with you.

Had a play with a satmap last summer and can see it's ok for walkers, but didn't appeal to me for caching at all. Only redeeming feature for me was the big screen size. With the oregon you would have to compromise with this - not sure what the montana is like and how much heavier it would be than the Mio but may worth be a look if screen size is important to you.

Thanks Ali,

I do like to have the 1;25000, spoiler sync is not important to me but screen size is. may have a look at the Montana.

Terry

Any suggestions on where to buy the Montana?

Bought mine from WestBrook cycles and since two friends also wanted them, managed to buy three with a nice discount! Top service, quick delivery!

Probably worth mentioning that the Montana DOES NOT seem to support Wherigo cartridges.... just in case that sorta thing floats your boat.

Jon.

Edited by Dakar4x4

My gadget of choice at the mo' is a HTC Touch 2, sensible sized screen and WinMo 6.5.

I have MM loaded for when it's needed but run Cachebox which uses free maps.

They're not always as detailed but they CAN do routing...

As WinMo is obsolete they can be picked up for about £60 now, it also doubles as a phone [:)]

I'm ready for the Android move with MM Tracker, a 3rd Party App for QCT files.

MM have promised an App before Xmas, but I'm not hopeful...

Cachebox is Geocaching Live enabled and on Android too...

I have had a Mio P550 which I had to replace with a P350. I was devastated when that also broke as I saw it as the perfect caching and walking companion. I now use MM Tracker on my Android phone and that is almost as good. The phone of course is more fragile and has to be kept in a waterproof case but it holds the caches and my maps which is what I need. I also use an Oregon.

I've had a Satmap for several years and only use two map cards - 50K All UK and 25K Essex but to be honest I could probably survive with just the 50K card.

Both map cards and GPS were picked up on a well known auction site and at considerably less than the RRP.

I do have an Oregon with talkytoaster maps but mainly use that as backup or when abroad or for those caches that the Satmap can't cater for - (Wherigo's & Chirps). Again an auction site bargain.

Having "grown up" with the Satmap as it's become progressively more geocaching friendly I really rate it, and find the Oregon a little clunky when I use it.

Montana is quicker on scrolling discoverer maps than the Oregon. But it's still not memory map speed.

From what I've seen though, it does depend on the maps regarding the performance. There are some illegally copied maps out there in Internet auction site land that are much slower to move around on. These could well be equally as slow on the Montana, but I've yet to see some in order compare.

Jon