Hides in a sign post

Mark+Karen

I'm wanting to put out a cache where I work and the best hiding place I can see is a street sign, which has removable caps on the top of the posts.

Now I've found quite a few of these types of cache, usually you remove the cap and the cache is sitting there. But how are they done? As the post is just hollow, presumably you fill it up with something to stop the cache falling to the bottom, but what?

What out spoiler alert....

I've not seen anyone block the tube but I've seen:

attached to the cap

hooked over the lip of the post with a wire coat hanger

string, paracord or fishing wire - of differing lengths.

magnet

all have limitations but work.

Recently we recovered a nano that had been pushed a little too far down for anyone to reach with fingers (certainly not where the CO had left it as we had a previous finder with us).

I have a cache like this. I had some lengths of 2x2 wood and dropped a bit about 4ft down first. That left a drop of about a foot. I then put another bit in and marked it level with the top. I then cut it just smaller than the cache would be, so it only had a drop of an inch. I used a "pre-form" for the cache, and taped a bit of coat hanger wire to hook it on the post, then replaced the cap. Hope this helps.

I had some lengths of 2x2 wood ...(etc)
Hmm, okay, that's not (quite) as bad as I'd imagined from the OP's post.

So maybe I should rephrase my question to the OP: what's so great about where you work, or indeed that signpost, that you feel the need to invite people to see it?

When answering, please bear in mind the placement guidelines - "When you go to hide a geocache, think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot. If the only reason is for the geocache, then find a better spot."

I had some lengths of 2x2 wood ...(etc)
Hmm, okay, that's not (quite) as bad as I'd imagined from the OP's post.

So maybe I should rephrase my question to the OP: what's so great about where you work, or indeed that signpost, that you feel the need to invite people to see it?

When answering, please bear in mind the placement guidelines - "When you go to hide a geocache, think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot. If the only reason is for the geocache, then find a better spot."

I explain the reason for it on the cache page...........

Edited to add that not one of the 45 finders had a bad thing to say about it either!

Edited by GAZ

I remember a cache some years ago that was in a tubular gate post. There was a small hole drilled in it close to the ground. You had to block the hole and pour water into the post. The cache floated up to be retrieved. You unblocked the hole, the water ran out and the cache could be dropped back in. Simples !!

I remember a cache some years ago that was in a tubular gate post. There was a small hole drilled in it close to the ground. You had to block the hole and pour water into the post. The cache floated up to be retrieved. You unblocked the hole, the water ran out and the cache could be dropped back in. Simples !!

Messe has one very similar called, H2O (GC1196Q). Very clever and loads of fun.

We have experienced various ways hiding signpost caches, most of which have been mentioned above. One of the best ones we ever did had a clue that read, 'base of sign'. We spent absolutely ages looking for it in the grass and were barking up a very wrong tree, it was simple but clever at the same time. When we eventually found it, we got a round of applause because unbeknown to us, we were being watched by the CO and his friends from his garden :anicute: .

I had a vision of the OP filling the sign post with expanding foam but I think that would be expensive. :laughing::laughing:

Seriously though, good luck with it.

We have experienced various ways hiding signpost caches, most of which have been mentioned above. One of the best ones we ever did had a clue that read, 'base of sign'. We spent absolutely ages looking for it in the grass and were barking up a very wrong tree, it was simple but clever at the same time. When we eventually found it, we got a round of applause because unbeknown to us, we were being watched by the CO and his friends from his garden :anicute: .

I had a vision of the OP filling the sign post with expanding foam but I think that would be expensive. :laughing::laughing:

Maybe it was the LR giving away your parking position... I'm sure you wouldn't have been left to leave without a hint either.

:anibad:

I can't remember what cache it was, but there was a tube again, however it has several holes in it going up it, and had to plug them all, I have to say we got rather wet

Edit: It was this one GC1V66A

Edited by matt1988

I can't remember what cache it was, but there was a tube again, however it has several holes in it going up it, and had to plug them all, I have to say we got rather wet

There's a fantastic little series near me of similar ilk (http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=c8f5b201-12a0-4753-82bc-24dd1c1ed154).

You are asked on the cache page to take with you:

Krypton Caches Require Special Equipment: You need 1 Litre of water, perhaps a little more or maybe its the Metal key ring attached to end of fishing line or similar which is over 35" long or a balloon. You need to work out yourself which one will retrieve the cache.

There's a fantastic little series near me of similar ilk (http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=c8f5b201-12a0-4753-82bc-24dd1c1ed154).

You are asked on the cache page to take with you:

Krypton Caches Require Special Equipment: You need 1 Litre of water, perhaps a little more or maybe its the Metal key ring attached to end of fishing line or similar which is over 35" long or a balloon. You need to work out yourself which one will retrieve the cache.

Yeh that looks like a good series, and only 35 miles from me :). Maybe I will have to make a caching day of it, although me being a noobie, I presume you need all those things, and something over 35" hmmm... Maybe I need more experience, and for puzzle caches I don't even know where to start lol.

As the post is just hollow, presumably you fill it up with something

Oh ... my ... God ...

No. There should be no need to mess with public property to that degree just to hide a film canister.

first thing that popped in my mind when reading your reply was this :lol:

hi-rail-big-9.jpg

Maybe it was the LR giving away your parking position... I'm sure you wouldn't have been left to leave without a hint either.

:anibad:

Yeah, the LR spare wheel cover isn't exactly subtle is it? :ph34r::laughing: .