Now what will I do?

We were over on the Kaibab today and made another attempt to find M 51. We (I) have made several attempts at finding this one and even with help had not been very lucky. Today I took my own advice and we measured from 2 known points and each pointed to the same spot. 1 was to the 'east' and 1 was to the 'west' and where they came together they were both at the correct distance, so I felt that this was the correct place to search for the mark. Everything just fell into place and in less than 15 minutes I was getting pictures of this elusive benchmark.

Here is a shot of the benchmark location as seen from the highway.

ec1f2699-668a-49a2-863d-dd2db3ac36b4.jpg

Now the question is "What will fill the void that this recovery has left?". I had been studying the maps and the description and every time we drove past that area I would always slow down and scope out the area.

I have found the object of my quest and there is a bit of a let-down since I now have nothing left that is haunting me. Nothing that I know is there, but haven't been able to find is there to now occupy my spare time.

What a fellow to do? I know where there is another mark W 52 that hasn't been found since the 1980's, but I don't know who I need to talk to, to get permission to access the restricted area. Maybe that can be my next project.

Has anyone else gone through this emptiness after making that great recovery?

John

John,

Congratulations on your find and congratulations on your perseverance!

Those that require multiple trips seem like they are often the most rewarding.

I still have one that taunts me every time we drive by – I have yet to find it.

As far as filling the void – it seems like there is always another one – even if you have to drive farther or pick one with a low possibility of success. You can always try for one of Holoscenes’ Extreme Triple Challenges! (What a sadistic list he came up with).

Congrats!

Now the question is "What will fill the void that this recovery has left?". I had been studying the maps and the description and every time we drove past that area I would always slow down and scope out the area.

I have found the object of my quest and there is a bit of a let-down since I now have nothing left that is haunting me. Nothing that I know is there, but haven't been able to find is there to now occupy my spare time.

What a fellow to do? I know where there is another mark W 52 that hasn't been found since the 1980's, but I don't know who I need to talk to, to get permission to access the restricted area. Maybe that can be my next project.

John

I understand exactly, what you are experiencing. CP2772 was my "white whale" you could say. It consumed a lot of research time, and studying of aerial maps, trying to see if a trip was warranted just to look for it.

I can say, you will eventually move on and start aiming your sights towards others, and that emptiness will fade away as you become goal-oriented again.. It's what makes the hunt so fun. As Tillamurphs states, Holograph's list of extreme benchmarks are always good.

'

If nothing else, you can hang out in the forums here with your fellow 'Benchmarkers Anonymous' support group. We have a great 12 step(or approx. 36 feet from the center of the road) program :lol:

Edited by LSUFan

John

I understand exactly, what you are experiencing. CP2772 was my "white whale" you could say. It consumed a lot of research time, and studying of aerial maps, trying to see if a trip was warranted just to look for it.

I can say, you will eventually move on and start aiming your sights towards others, and that emptiness will fade away as you become goal-oriented again.. It's what makes the hunt so fun. As Tillamurphs states, Holograph's list of extreme benchmarks are always good.

'

If nothing else, you can hang out in the forums here with your fellow 'Benchmarkers Anonymous' support group. We have a great 12 step(or approx. 36 feet from the center of the road) program :lol:

I guess it is time to sign up for the support group! I just checked Holographs site for extreme benchmarks and saw that we have recovered 4 (#1, 2, 5, 6) of the 10 oldest benchmarks in AZ. We did not recover #7 since we did not have a boat and wasn't sure how it should be logged (we were there 7 years ago and were pretty green at benchmarking), We also recovered the Least recent recovery mark, but did not log it on GC since that PID is not listed there and we don't log on the NGS. That mark is definitely gone, if anyone wants to go and verify our findings. Picture available.

I did download both extreme challenges and will carefully look them over.

Thanks for the advice.

Nice recovery for CP2772.:D

John

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

John,

I'm heading south out of Moab on Thursday or Friday and could use some help on the missing links in the Lee's Ferry complex. Have an extra (quite stable) kayak.

Would consider renting an instrument & rod if they are available in Page.

Contact me off forum if you would be available this week end or next. Mike

John,

Would consider renting an instrument & rod if they are available in Page.

Hi Kayakbird,

I hope you will excuse me for butting in here. I was wondering if you could tell me how the instrument and rod will help with your benchmark recovery?

Thanks.

Well, first I need to figure out (preferably have one of the experts here tell me) if there is any correlation/accuracy between VERTCON & POSTED elevations.

BM 12 GP0234* NAVD 88 - 959.02 (+/-2cm) 3146.4 (feet) VERTCON

M 7 GP0233* NAVD 88 - 960.279 (meters) 3150.52 (feet) POSTED

GAGE BM 1 GP0236* NAVD 88 - 952.024 (meters) 3123.43 (feet) POSTED

Then I can set up the instrument, take a reading on the nearby FOUND M 7

e65df26b-4ac0-4e77-b5f3-d76bfa94cb24.jpg

and limit the search zone to that +/- elevation difference. With luck it may also work for GAGE RM 1, or at least be able to get a water surface elevation at the river's edge (very little gradient for a nearly mile either way) and get an idea about how far above (or below) the water to look.

Might set up a water level if instruments are out of reach.

Wish us luck - or come join the party (anyone) - I have a total of four boats. MEL

Mike

The significant figures give an indication of the accuracy, although with Vertcon the accuracy is stipulated as +/- 2cm. Vertcon is a transformation program to convert values from one datum to another, as opposed to recomputing values in a newer datum using raw field observations.