what do these mean?

Well Savant means an educated person in French. HDTV is High Definition Television. :laughing: I found the HDTV log. Some smartphone loggers have indeed been known to log caches with random phrases, all while pretty much clueless they were logging a find log to a website on the internet. For example, I once stumbled on a cache find log of "Batman", and found the logger pretty much logged all of their 75 or so finds with "Batman" in 2010. If anyone questions this, I definitely remember Tweeting about his on Twitter, and it would take some time, but I could look it up. :P

YCHNVC

Your Cache Hides Never Vary Considerably?

Laughed out loud over a couple guesses!

I had to go back and see just which find he/she wrote that one on because I do have 2 "groups" out. I have 3 elf doors and 4 potted plants where they blend in with underbrush. But, no, this was your basic lock n lock in the woods.

OK, found these logs. User has 28 finds, and logs with assorted giberish. Difficult to tell if they even know their uploading these as find logs to the website, and just think they're marking them as found in their phone. They could know, and are just being whacky and zany.

There was a discussion about a year ago (I think it just came up, not a whole thread on the subject) about Smartphone users logging finds with random words. Can't find it though. And as predicted, I can't find the guy who posted all his find logs with the word Batman. I do remember it was in New Jersey though.

Your cache hidden nicely very clever? LOL

That's a good guess! I'm thinking it's more like some previous replies, a bunch of random letters, due to the proximity on a keyboard (if posted from a Blackberry or whatever). But with the "random acromyms" in all-caps, it looks intentional. So maybe it's more of a zany/whacky thing.

Edited by kunarion

Okay, at the risk of also of looking like a newbie, which of course I am, what does "No PAF's" mean by CO's in descriptions?

As pointed out already, PAF=Phone A Friend, which is the practice of using your cell phone to call someone else you know has found the cache you are looking for which you can not find.

If a CO puts "No PAF's" in the description of their cache they are implying that anyone who uses a PAF to find that particualr cache will have their logs deleted. Many CO's are annoyed by the practice of calling friends for help when you can't find a cache, the idea being that they put a lot of work into makeing the hide tricky and if they wanted people to be able to find it easily then they would have made it easier themselves.

There are several problems with this. First is that there is no "rule" against asking for help with a cache from whomever the person looking for it wants to ask, be it the CO or someone else. Second, unless a cacher admits in their log that they used a PAF, there is no way for a CO to prove that they did and so saying No PAF's is somewhat pointless. Lastly, even if someone does admit in their log that they used a PAF to a cache with a No PAF's statement in the description, telling someone they can't use a PAF and then deleting their log if they do is an ALR (ALternate Logging Requirment) which are against the TOU (Terms of Use)and so the statement is pointless in that regard as well becasue there is nothing the CO can do it about if someone does.

Edited by FobesMan

Ah phone a friend ...okay thanks. Now that I think about it though, I have this one part of the city that has about 4 caches that I have been to like, 3 or 4 times and they get logged by others as having been found. For me though just frustrating DNF's... wish I knew I could have PAF'd them ...seems like cheating, but okay...

After reading this thread, it seems the answer to your question is, no one knows.

Apparently, those are not usual and customary abrevations for 'finds.'

You can go to those caches and read the log books to see if that person really did find the cache. If so, accept their posted log. If they did not sign the log book, you can delete their finds. Or you can leave it alone. It's up to you.

Ah phone a friend ...okay thanks. Now that I think about it though, I have this one part of the city that has about 4 caches that I have been to like, 3 or 4 times and they get logged by others as having been found. For me though just frustrating DNF's... wish I knew I could have PAF'd them ...seems like cheating, but okay...

Ehhh... had some cachers call me the other day. It seems their PQ had (partially) failed and they did not notice one of my hides had been on it. They called so that they could, in essence, find it using letter-boxing techniques (with given verbal hints). They had the parking coords, but no other info. Oh well, no problem as far as I was concerned. (Yes, they did find it)

Ehhh... had some cachers call me the other day. It seems their PQ had (partially) failed and they did not notice one of my hides had been on it. They called so that they could, in essence, find it using letter-boxing techniques (with given verbal hints). They had the parking coords, but no other info. Oh well, no problem as far as I was concerned. (Yes, they did find it)

No offense, but you're not a friend, you're the cache owner. :) PAF can be controversial in the opinion of some because you're not asking the cache owner for the hint.

Three of my caches were found by the same cacher. Of course I'm used to TFTC type responses but I don't understand these:

YCHNVC

HDTV

savant

Any ideas?

Crazy idea here:

did you ask the person who posted them?

Looks like a phone-logger is being forced to put something in a text field. Rather than a "regular" type of log, he/she was just sticking any old thing in there. Are those random letters any different in essence than "." or the person's username, which I've seen posted as a "found it" log?

Three of my caches were found by the same cacher. Of course I'm used to TFTC type responses but I don't understand these:

YCHNVC

HDTV

savant

Any ideas?

Crazy idea here:

did you ask the person who posted them?

Looks like a phone-logger is being forced to put something in a text field. Rather than a "regular" type of log, he/she was just sticking any old thing in there. Are those random letters any different in essence than "." or the person's username, which I've seen posted as a "found it" log?

Well yeah, that would be the best idea. But then we couldn't have a thread about smart phone users logging odd words or phrases as find logs! Question I have (and I'm repeating myself), are they in some or most cases aware of the fact they are uploading find logs to a website, or just think they're marking them as found in their phone, and no one sees it? No, I didn't ask the batman logger from New Jersey. But then again, I can't find him any more. :P

EDIT: P.S. I had heard once or twice the Iphone App prompts you for text now, and the infamous blank logs are a thing of the past. Anyone?

Edited by Mr.Yuck