Christmas cache idea

Cyberbloke

I have an idea for a cache, but it's a bit unusual so I would like to run it past some cachers.

There is a patch of ancient woodland near me with a series of caches in it. The woods is mostly made up of oaks and other English trees, but while looking for caches I came across a perfect 10ft Christmas tree, which I suspect someone planted after the festive season one year.

I am thinking of hanging a pine cone cache on here, which would be just fine, but I am also thinking of going one further.

How about if I get the cache published around the first of December and also hang a single Christmas bauble on the tree. On the cache description I could ask everyone who comes hunting the cache in the month of December to bring along a Christmas decoration, which they will know what to do with when they get there.

In theory the tree will get more and more festive as Christmas approaches, and muggles who use the woods may even join in, presuming it does not get trashed. It should at least raise a smile for people who come across it.

I'd have to remove all the decorations and clean up after Christmas has passed, but it could be a fun little prank that could capture the imagination of the neighbourhood.

I'd appreciate feedback.

I think it's a lovely idea.

It's one that has been done before in UK. I have a vague idea that the cache owner did an event at their tree on Twelfth Night so that everyone gathered to help remove the decorations and brought mulled wine etc. Just remember that the actual cache needs to have permanency so make sure you can leave it in place for at least 3 months.

MrsB :)

I would post on Thanksgiving

When asking to bring decorations be sure to stress that the baubles should be able to survive in the elements till Christmas.

If I was there I would go through my collection of old (but still good) decorations that I never get to deploy cause of the amount of buildup.

Great Idea

be sure to post some after pictures before you clean up the tree.

Archive cache in Summer and then re-list again next year maybe starting a Geo-Tradition in your area.

I followed the link to the other Tree cache and the idea of a post event gathering for the cleanup is also something you may want to do as well.

Edited by Cliff's Notes

After re-reading a previous post I now see it in a different light and no longer see any need to comment. Good luck with your Christmas cache.

note: Long before I was ready to post my comment, the web site seemed to just grab it and toss it up here. Unless I accidentally made an unconscious click, that's a new one on me.

Edited by Cardinal Red

That is a super idea. Good luck with it, I feel it will be a big hit!

Be sure to use the "Unknown Cache" (X) type.

(not geocaching related, but...)

Near our home (we didn't do it -- and nobody seems to know who started it), there is a pine tree that locals and non-locals alike keep decorated up as a Christmas tree (year 'round).

It is in the middle of what most would call "nowhere" -- the nearest actual residence is approximately six miles away.

The decorations come and go, but it still exists after quite a few years.

It only helps to know that it is located not far from a small town called Christmas.

EDIT to add: I see the linked "Christmas Tree" actually had a multi-cache. Your idea should actually (I think) be listed as an Unknown or container-less cache. A log container could actually be one of the ornaments, or simply a write-in-the-rain paper hanging on the tree.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

It sounds like a pretty fun idea to me.

A few things to remember would be that a cache needs to be permanent, so if you put it up for the season, it will still be viable afterwards into the new year - I see no problem if you hid a normal cache, then added the extra christmas theme for the appropriate season, removing it afterwards and leaving a normal cache with a cool story. I guess you could even make the hide theme appropriate then change it afterwards (no different from a cache getting muggled and swapped for a different container later).

Litter could be an issue - decorations like tinsel could easily blow away, or paper decorations getting wet and creating a mess so those wouldn't be ideal, and after the season I guess the decorations will need to be taken down and the cache area cleaned up which will be another job for yourself (remembering to do it in appropriate time to prevent bad luck befalling your cache).

It is also worth noting that Groundspeak don't allow caches with additional rules added (you must do x action to get the smiley) so while you can promote the decorations, you can't demand them of cachers.

If you use a high difficulty container like you mentioned, you may not get as many visitors as you might like. On the other hand, most would probably be experienced Geocachers so hopefully you wouldn't have much of an issue with people walking off with the ornaments. You should make sure the land owner understands exactly what the cache would entail so they don't get surprised and potentially cause problems.

Edited by EdrickV