Help! Garmin Oregon vs iPhone 4s

Hello all,

I would very, very much appreciate some help! I recently got the iPhone 4S and was very pleasantly surprised by the improvement in its GPS and general geocaching usefulness (I use the Geocaching.com app). I used to use my Nuvi and iPhone 3G together to geocache (using the satellite picture when the Nuvi was playing silly buggers), and there were only a couple of times I couldn't find the cache because I couldn't pinpoint the location. A couple of days ago, though, while geocaching with my new phone, I thought "hey, this is great, I won't need my Nuvi for caching anymore!"

Yesterday was my birthday, and my husband surprised me with a Garmin Oregon 450T. Sadly he heard me gushing about how great my new phone was for caching a few days before my birthday, and my husband's heart sank. He's now tasked me with finding out whether it's truly worth keeping the 450T or return it and use my iPhone 4S instead. The 450T is not cheap, so I'd rather not keep it unless it's going to give me a real caching advantage.

Can anyone advise me, or at least give me more to think about?

Thanks in advance,

Laurelei

PS: I'm in the UK, if it makes any difference...

Edited by Broomsticks

In my experience using a 'proper' GPS is far better than using a phone, but it depends on where you do you caching. In cities then a phone is fine I guess.

The main advantages I've found it getting a decent GPS signal under tree cover and battery life..also having decent maps is a real advantage.

Is there anyone close by who has one and would let you go with them and use theirs? That way you could use it but still keep yours if you decide to return it?

Honestly though buying a GPSr was one of the best things I did when I started geocaching....

off the top of my head...the Oregon is waterproof and shockproof, not so the phone on its own

to me the phone its just that, nice to have as emergency back up and getting online to see more logs, pictures etc but will not beat a handheld GPS

if you do all your caching in an urban area the phone should be enough, once you get in the woods its a different story

IMO i would exchange it for a regular 450, without the Topo maps, there's a good extra chunk of money for those, because you can get lots of free maps for your Oregon

Edited by t4e

I looked at the OP's caching stats and would guess "urban cacher" -- vast majority are micros and smalls within 10 miles of home. Pretty similar to my own profile.

The iPhone can serve pretty well in these cases. That's not to say a dedicated GPS wouldn't be a fine extra tool to have in hand -- especially if her plan is to go further afield and into rougher conditions. With that in mind, and for the sake of domestic harmony, I'd say keep the gift and get hubby to go geocaching with you. That way you can each have a GPS to use...

Okay, we us our iPhone and Oregon to cache. We have been using iPhone4's, but my wife has a 4S and we haven't seen a difference in accuracy. The phone is great for logging caches and getting current info, but you just can't beat the accuracy of a dedicated GPSr. We often cache with just the Oregon when we are somewhere with no cell signal, but would rarely cache with just the iPhone, as it just isn't as accurate as the actual GPSr. Since you have both, load a PQ into the Oregon, and head out with both devices, see if there are times that you can find a cache with the Oregon that you couldn't get a good "fix" on with the iPhone. By the way, love the avatar!

Keep the 450T. Once you use it for a while, you will see that the accuracy is way better than the iPhone. The day will come with out a doubt when your 450T will take you straight to a cache while your iPhone will still be trying to find itself within that 200 foot diameter circle on its screen. At that point make sure you turn to your husband and properly thank him for your nice gift.

off the top of my head...the Oregon is waterproof and shockproof, not so the phone on its own

to me the phone its just that, nice to have as emergency back up and getting online to see more logs, pictures etc but will not beat a handheld GPS

if you do all your caching in an urban area the phone should be enough, once you get in the woods its a different story

IMO i would exchange it for a regular 450, without the Topo maps, there's a good extra chunk of money for those, because you can get lots of free maps for your Oregon

(This is OP's husband)

I considered the 450 vs the 450t having seen a lot of people make the same point you do, but the difference in price was actually pretty small. The t was only about £25 more which seemed a reasonable price to get a topographical map out of the box, plus I beleive the t has more internal storage?

For your comparison, can I ask what phone have you used?

I gave a cursory look at the 450 unit, and then purchased the 450T and never had any regrets. Just yesterday I was in the woods and used the topographical map to decide how best to approach a cache.

In about 30 seconds, someone will chime in and post a list of websites where you can get free maps. I have added some of those trail maps to my 450T because they also add trail maps to my area. I highly recommend you do as well.

I purchased the Groundspeak app for my iPhone 4 on the ATT network here in the states. Like I stated earlier, the 450T blows the iPhone away when it comes to accuracy and ease of use. I often use both when I am Geocaching. If I decide on a whim to do some Geocaching, and If I have a 3G signal I can search for the nearest cache, copy the coordinates from the iPhone to my 450T and be on my way. once I am under the tree canopy, I usually have found the cache long before the iPhone has figured out where in the 50 foot diameter circle on its screen it thinks it is.

Once I've found the cache, I file the log on the iPhone from right there in the field and then do a search for the next nearest cache and repeat the process all over again.

Cheers!

I gave a cursory look at the 450 unit, and then purchased the 450T and never had any regrets. Just yesterday I was in the woods and used the topographical map to decide how best to approach a cache.

In about 30 seconds, someone will chime in and post a list of websites where you can get free maps. I have added some of those trail maps to my 450T because they also add trail maps to my area. I highly recommend you do as well.

I purchased the Groundspeak app for my iPhone 4 on the ATT network here in the states. Like I stated earlier, the 450T blows the iPhone away when it comes to accuracy and ease of use. I often use both when I am Geocaching. If I decide on a whim to do some Geocaching, and If I have a 3G signal I can search for the nearest cache, copy the coordinates from the iPhone to my 450T and be on my way. once I am under the tree canopy, I usually have found the cache long before the iPhone has figured out where in the 50 foot diameter circle on its screen it thinks it is.

Once I've found the cache, I file the log on the iPhone from right there in the field and then do a search for the next nearest cache and repeat the process all over again.

Cheers!

(OP's husband again)

Hi Steve, which version of the iPhone do you have?

(This is OP's husband)

I considered the 450 vs the 450t having seen a lot of people make the same point you do, but the difference in price was actually pretty small. The t was only about £25 more which seemed a reasonable price to get a topographical map out of the box, plus I beleive the t has more internal storage?

For your comparison, can I ask what phone have you used?

well that's not a big price difference, in that case its worth keeping it

never used a phone for caching, i started out with a PDA that had GPS and i can tell you the difference was very noticeable plus the added convenience of the two things i mentioned, rugged and waterproof

i did see people caching with phones and the image that stuck most in my head, and i thought was funny too, is getting out of the car...the cacher with the phone went completely the other way at first :lol:

having said that, if money is not an issue, the two will compliment each other very well

Edited by t4e