Testing in Ontario: Organized Group Hunts

CacheDrone

Recently the reviewers of Ontario approached Groundspeak with a request. We asked if Ontario could be used for a two month period to test the idea of allowing an Event to be listed for the sole purpose of group caching (organized cache hunt). We are pleased to announce that they agreed. For the months of November and December it will be possible to create an Event Cache to simply go geocaching. We are very interested to see what the community creates during this period and how these events are received. This test is exclusive to Ontario and will end on the 31st of December. We may have to limit the number of group hunt events that are listed in any given area. With the exception of allowing group hunts, all other guidelines still apply to the review process, like the 14 days advance notice. It should go without saying that each of these events, the logs posted on them and any forum feedback will be tracked for discussion with Groundspeak at the end of the test. This should be viewed as a one-time opportunity to explore a new way to be social with fellow geocachers on the trail and not an indicator or future developments. We look forward to this study and your feedback.

If you have questions about this you can reply within this forum thread or email me directly at cachedrone@gmail.com

:cool: CD

A great idea ! We have attended many "pub style" events and enjoy them very much - a great way to meet and chat with fellow cachers. We have also attended many of the GHMGC outings. Based on the fact that the cachers are meeting at a chosen location and going out caching together - the GHMGC outings certainly deserve an, "event" designation. Given the caching activity involved, probably more so than the pub style events.

To be perfectly blunt, it's about time.

Events have always been about getting geocachers together, but the one thing that cachers like to do the most is go caching, but yet we haven't been able to have an event to do just that. I've always sort of understood the half logic used by GSP to have their non organized hunt rule, but for many situations, the rule didn't make sense. Plus, there were plenty of other organized hints where the event was very obviously for the hunt, but still allowed for some reason.

I know for myself, I am anxious to see how this turns out as it would directly apply to an event that I host every year that I have to do a work around in order to get it listed. It will be nice to see if I can actually have my race event (here for specifics) listed as an event vs a BBQ at the end of the actual event.

Please post updates on how this goes.

Too bad the test didn't take place during the nicer weather months. Lots of canoeing/kayaking get-togethers could have been planned as "cache hunting events".

Just curious: what's the yardstick going to be to measure the "success" or "failure" of this test run?

The test run is to determine how best to implement cache hunts and officially bring them into the game. We will be considering how to update guidelines, and best practices when reviewing these cache types.

We are following this thread with interest.

Cheers!

Too bad the test didn't take place during the nicer weather months. Lots of canoeing/kayaking get-togethers could have been planned as "cache hunting events".

i was just thinking the same this morning, just didn't have time to post it

the good weather plus the longer days would have made it possible to organize during the week too

nevertheless i am still eagerly waiting to see what comes out if this

If Organized Cache Hunts becomes an acceptable Event Cache type, I'd like to see it split out as a separate type/icon, so we can still easily spot the difference between a geocaching event and a few friends going out geocaching together.

I'd imagine that the listing text in the cache description will suffice in making this distinction, so I'm not sure that a separate icon is necessary.

I think this is a nice test to attempt to increase the social aspect of the game. It'll be interesting to see what folks come up with.

If Organized Cache Hunts becomes an acceptable Event Cache type, I'd like to see it split out as a separate type/icon, so we can still easily spot the difference between a geocaching event and a few friends going out geocaching together.

I'd imagine that the listing text in the cache description will suffice in making this distinction, so I'm not sure that a separate icon is necessary.

Required? No.

Nice to have? Yes.

The same can be said about pretty much anything. If attributes were used more often we could potentially filter on that. But if this launches we'll potentially see hundreds of events per month in "Ontario" so I'd still like an easy way to spot the difference between GHAGAFAP and "Bob's friends weekly geocaching outing", without having to open up and read 100 event listings. Cuz what will happen is most people will simply stop after 10 events and completely miss out on the GHAGAFAP's or Spring Flings unless they find out by word of mouth.

I don't see why there would be an issue with another icon type for Organized Cache Hunt vs traditional Geocaching Events, the same as we get icon types for CITOs and GPS Maze Events which both could arguably be classified generally as "Events" and people would find out if they are caching or picking up garbage by reading the listing.

I think this is a nice test to attempt to increase the social aspect of the game. It'll be interesting to see what folks come up with.

I also want to be clear that I fully support the experiment, and welcome the idea of events that are specifically to encourage more caching. Just asking for a filter option.

But if this launches we'll potentially see hundreds of events per month in "Ontario" so I'd still like an easy way to spot the difference between GHAGAFAP and "Bob's friends weekly geocaching outing", without having to open up and read 100 event listings. Cuz what will happen is most people will simply stop after 10 events and completely miss out on the GHAGAFAP's or Spring Flings unless they find out by word of mouth.

I would agree with this completely. While I like the social aspect of the group hunts I don't like the "finding" aspect. What I mean by that is, if you aren't willing to elbow your way to the front of the pack you likely won't participate in the search or even see the hide for that matter. For the most part I would shy away from the large group hunts and stick to the events as we know them. For this reason the filtering aspect would be helpful.

Mrs T.

Required? No.

Nice to have? Yes.

The same can be said about pretty much anything. If attributes were used more often we could potentially filter on that. But if this launches we'll potentially see hundreds of events per month in "Ontario" so I'd still like an easy way to spot the difference between GHAGAFAP and "Bob's friends weekly geocaching outing", without having to open up and read 100 event listings. Cuz what will happen is most people will simply stop after 10 events and completely miss out on the GHAGAFAP's or Spring Flings unless they find out by word of mouth.

I don't see why there would be an issue with another icon type for Organized Cache Hunt vs traditional Geocaching Events, the same as we get icon types for CITOs and GPS Maze Events which both could arguably be classified generally as "Events" and people would find out if they are caching or picking up garbage by reading the listing.

I'm not averse to some sort of method to filter (new icon or required attribute for "group caching") but I just don't see this as necessary.

Case in point: Our BFL Crew outings. We know that these happen regularly on Friday nights like clockwork. What we generally don't know until the Wednesday/Thursday prior is where we're targeting. Given that there needs to be a specific meeting point and a minimum of 14 days of lead time to be considered for listing, we couldn't list our outings as a group caching event if we wanted to - and we're regular "group caching" type cachers. What I'm getting at is simply the notion that if we can't plan something 14 days in advance with a specific target area, I can't imagine many others will either, and thus, the thought that a cacher will have to weed through the multitude of "group" events on the website seems a tad remote. Not saying it won't happen, but it just doesn't seem logical to me.

On the rare occasion, an adventure caching weekend is planned well in advance amongst the BFL, with the specific intent of finding caches. These tend to be in remote areas and thus require lead time to plan for scheduling and incidentals. In the past, if we wanted to have an event listed on the site to coincide with this, the description verbiage of that listing would be skewed in such a way that the event itself was the highlight as opposed to finding some great caches amongst friends. This sort of listing seems more the intent of the test for "Organized Group Hunts", IMO. There's no reason to hide the fact that we're going caching, and we're opening it up to others to join us. I also tend to think that BFL Bootcamp falls under this banner since I can't imagine very many people just coming to the command centre without going out into the woods to do some nightcaching too.

Required? No.

Nice to have? Yes.

I'm not averse to some sort of method to filter (new icon or required attribute for "group caching") but I just don't see this as necessary.

Case in point: Our BFL Crew outings. We know that these happen regularly on Friday nights like clockwork. What we generally don't know until the Wednesday/Thursday prior is where we're targeting. Given that there needs to be a specific meeting point and a minimum of 14 days of lead time to be considered for listing, we couldn't list our outings as a group caching event if we wanted to - and we're regular "group caching" type cachers. What I'm getting at is simply the notion that if we can't plan something 14 days in advance with a specific target area, I can't imagine many others will either, and thus, the thought that a cacher will have to weed through the multitude of "group" events on the website seems a tad remote. Not saying it won't happen, but it just doesn't seem logical to me.

On the rare occasion, an adventure caching weekend is planned well in advance amongst the BFL, with the specific intent of finding caches. These tend to be in remote areas and thus require lead time to plan for scheduling and incidentals. In the past, if we wanted to have an event listed on the site to coincide with this, the description verbiage of that listing would be skewed in such a way that the event itself was the highlight as opposed to finding some great caches amongst friends. This sort of listing seems more the intent of the test for "Organized Group Hunts", IMO. There's no reason to hide the fact that we're going caching, and we're opening it up to others to join us. I also tend to think that BFL Bootcamp falls under this banner since I can't imagine very many people just coming to the command centre without going out into the woods to do some nightcaching too.

I don't really want to enter into a large discussion about this particular thing. It's filed under "I'd like to see it". If it doesn't happen, big deal. Life will go on for me. The groups that want to pile on the smileys will do that with minor edits.

I'm also sure you are correct about the "spirit" of the experiment but I've been caching in Southern Ontario long enough to know that there are people here who will push it as far as they can, and well outside that "spirit".

One minor point I will mention though that is a significant difference between Event, CITO, Maze and Organized Cache Hunt. The first three occur at a fixed point, where you can arrive a little late. The organized cache hunt starts at a position and then leaves it - to look for geocaches. If you arrive 5 minutes after the posted time there could very well be nobody there. Now I understand we all have things like bookmark lists and descriptions that detail the plans for the day but the person who goes to the posted co-ordinates will have a different experience at an OCH than they will at a traditional event.

One thing I would like to see as part of a guideline for Organized Group Hunts is a bookmark list (of some sort) outlining which caches are being targeted as part of any particular OGH listing. In this way, a cacher can know in advance what they're getting themselves into and what caches they may have already found.

Many things aren't necessary. It's not even necessary to have events listed here at all, they could just as easily be organized off-site, in the forums or wherever. It's also not necessary to get a smiley for attending an event. Yet they do all of those things.

Maybe you mean to say that you think it would be useless. It might be useless to you, but I'm sure it will be useful to others.

I think OGH as an Event type would be a great idea, as per the above suggestions. When setting up the listing, alternate requirements can be added to the form - like the bookmark list, or even an attribute automatically set for filtering if the OGH doesn't get its own 'icon'.

The penguin makes a good point, in that OGH's are inherently a different type of event, simply in the fact that it doesn't remain at one coordinate, and if you're early or late you may arrive to find nothing there. And for that reason I think a bookmark list (or at least a provided set of GC codes) makes perfect sense for that event type.

ETA: If implemented well, it could even automatically provide a list to the user on the listing page that highlights which caches they've found or not to help decide if they want to attend the OGH.

Edited by thebruce0

i don't understand why the resistance to creating new cache types is, would make it so much easier to filter out as opposed to letting people become "creative" and using inappropriate attributes...i.e. power trail requires scuba gear...it pretty much renders filtering by attributes useless

There is some good feedback being generated in this thread. Here's where I stand:

1 OGH as a new cache type

2 Booklist of caches as a requirement

3 Remove the 14 day min and make it say 6? This gives the weekly groups a chance to complete one weekly OGH and then prep for the next one. I'm not sure of any reasoning for 14 days for this type of "event". IMO these "events" will largley be discussed in regional forums for the most part and the "regulars" will know about them when they need to...

Now what D/T ratings will they be??? :ph34r: Yikes I guess it would have to be the max D and the max T of the caches in the hunt? What if you don't complete the hunt and you only did the 2/2s and skipped the last 4.5/4 and you get credit in your stats for it? Hmmm luckily it's not about the #s ;)

The only problem I can see with 'other part of the website' is the 'geocaching challenge' effect (not that this is the sole cause of its lack of uptake). If it's not on the map, not in queries, not discoverable, they'll ultimately lose their audience. I think one of the key things that gets new cachers involved in the local community is seeing events on the map, showing up in their general examination for local caches.

Now, that doesn't mean that if they're 'somewhere else on the website' that they can't be on the map, just saying...

Edited by thebruce0

Personally, I'm indifferent to cachetype vs attribute, if the OGH can at least be treated (or discovered) differently than other events

using attributes is flawed, it works fine for those that attend regularly, someone new coming into the game will have no idea of the trend...plus, in the example i have given, if i want to find scuba diving caches i don't want to end up with a list of a 1000 caches from a powertrail, same goes for the use of other unrelated attributes, UV Light and so on

Now what D/T ratings will they be??? :ph34r: Yikes I guess it would have to be the max D and the max T of the caches in the hunt? What if you don't complete the hunt and you only did the 2/2s and skipped the last 4.5/4 and you get credit in your stats for it? Hmmm luckily it's not about the #s ;)

how is that any different from, lets say a tree climbing cache, where one person only does the climbing and the rest claim a find?

Edited by t4e

The only problem I can see with 'other part of the website' is the 'geocaching challenge' effect (not that this is the sole cause of its lack of uptake). If it's not on the map, not in queries, not discoverable, they'll ultimately lose their audience. I think one of the things that gets new cachers involved in the local community is seeing events on the map, showing up in their general examination for local caches.

Now, that doesn't mean that if they're 'somewhere else on the website' that they can't be on the map, just saying...

On the other hand, I'd welcome the fact that when I clicked on the "newest in Ontario" link, I wouldn't get two pages of events first...

On the other hand, I'd welcome the fact that when I clicked on the "newest in Ontario" link, I wouldn't get two pages of events first...

True... but how many people search for new caches in an entire state/province? I think most people (in the context of casual cachers at least) would go to the local map from home coordinates. *shrug*

I gotta admit that I am indifferent as towards how they would be represented on my profile and whether or not they would be distinct in a search, but I am a big fan of this kind of event cache idea. I think at the core of many event efforts us the desire to cache together, so this will be a good fit. I have noticed in my short tenure that many people run into the wall of describing their event in a way that doesn't elude to the desire to be an organized cache hunt. There are of course some events that are about eating wings and hiking, but many still come down to caching together at some point. Glad that GS has allowed us to be a test group.

Personally, I'm indifferent to cachetype vs attribute, if the OGH can at least be treated (or discovered) differently than other events

I'd prefer the new cache type. Too many CO's don't bother with attributes and the reviewers ignore and/or don't enforce them.

Someone else mentioned putting keywords in the cache name but I can't filter on that in a PQ.

I'd prefer the new cache type. Too many CO's don't bother with attributes and the reviewers ignore and/or don't enforce them.

Someone else mentioned putting keywords in the cache name but I can't filter on that in a PQ.

Are we really anticipating that many OGH style events. As it is there are only about 8 within 30 miles of me right now, I can't imagine that it will end up being 100s of caches that would cause confusion.

My opinion: Since finding the caches would be optional then the D/T should be the minimum needed for someone just tagging along with the group. For example, a hunt along the Bruce Trail would be based on the the D/T of the trail itself. Any tree or cave or whatever caches can be skipped by those who are not able to do them.

Reality: The CO is free to rate the event whatever they want. You can always log the event with a note if you don't want it to mess with your stats.

I didn't look at them, but going by this bookmark list (which I consider to be authoritative), those 8 aren't organized group hunts.

When I looked at all the upcoming events within 100miles there are still only 37 upcoming events. So we still aren't talking about a huge amount of events.

Now give the trial a year and see what populates. This concept is known to forum lurkers, not everyone.

Two months - at the start of winter - is going to skew things. Run the same trial in June/July and give a one month warning that it's coming, and you'll see considerably more uptake.

There are a lot of cachers who hang up the GPS this time of the year, and wait until the spring .....

To me, this is just making official something that cachers have been doing unofficially for a long time. :ph34r:

How many times is there an event with a description of "get together to chat", but where you know very well that groups are using mailing lists or local forums to get organized and get together to cache before or after the official event of "getting together to chat".

With the new trial, I think the event description will be allowed to actually say "come cache with us for a few hours, then we'll chat over drinks" or "come eat breakfast, then we'll form groups to go caching together". To me, that's more honest, and it gives a chance to the new people (who may not be on mailing list or local forums) to get involved in group hunts if they'd like.

I'm not really concerned about "numbers", but it seems much simpler and practical to keep those events as events (with or without a different event type, as they are not, in my opinion, really different from many events I've attended. Making them different (ie not a geocache), so that they don't appear on the map or in notifications would defeat the purpose.

And how is meeting with a group to go caching together less deserving of a smiley than other events, such as a flashmob? I'm sure the people would spend more time talking and socializing at one of those group hunts than they do at one of those 15 minutes events :rolleyes:

To me, this is just making official something that cachers have been doing unofficially for a long time. :ph34r:

How many times is there an event with a description of "get together to chat", but where you know very well that groups are using mailing lists or local forums to get organized and get together to cache before or after the official event of "getting together to chat".

With the new trial, I think the event description will be allowed to actually say "come cache with us for a few hours, then we'll chat over drinks" or "come eat breakfast, then we'll form groups to go caching together". To me, that's more honest, and it gives a chance to the new people (who may not be on mailing list or local forums) to get involved in group hunts if they'd like.

I'm not really concerned about "numbers", but it seems much simpler and practical to keep those events as events (with or without a different event type, as they are not, in my opinion, really different from many events I've attended. Making them different (ie not a geocache), so that they don't appear on the map or in notifications would defeat the purpose.

And how is meeting with a group to go caching together less deserving of a smiley than other events, such as a flashmob? I'm sure the people would spend more time talking and socializing at one of those group hunts than they do at one of those 15 minutes events :rolleyes:

I never said deny a smiley or not make it a cache. I said make a separate icon/cache type to make it distinct.

I am not a real big fan of this idea. I don't really think that it is necessary. In my mind geocaching was meant to be an individual endeavour not a team event. I was not really feeling the geocaching vibe at the NWOG Fall Cache Challenge when I was at a cache with 5 other teams. If I interpret this correctly, it is an event cache where a bunch of cachers go out and find a bunch of caches together as a group. I see no need to give an extra smiley for that, not to mention to have to plan it 2 weeks in advance. If you want a group to come with you, just use your local forums and tell people that you are planning a trip...those that are interested will come. Not so sure an extra smiley is required.

Mechman

I am not a real big fan of this idea. I don't really think that it is necessary. In my mind geocaching was meant to be an individual endeavour not a team event. I was not really feeling the geocaching vibe at the NWOG Fall Cache Challenge when I was at a cache with 5 other teams. If I interpret this correctly, it is an event cache where a bunch of cachers go out and find a bunch of caches together as a group. I see no need to give an extra smiley for that, not to mention to have to plan it 2 weeks in advance. If you want a group to come with you, just use your local forums and tell people that you are planning a trip...those that are interested will come. Not so sure an extra smiley is required.

Mechman

its all a matter of personal preference and i'm with you on the part about not being a fan of big group caching, however other people enjoy it

a new icon will make it easy for both sides to either ignore or seek out such activity

what is the big deal about them getting an extra smiley?

Love this post. Says everything I feel about this experiment and wanted to convey in my earlier posts in a much more succinct way. I am in 100% agreement.

Merci! :)