Montana Batteries

JetMonkey

Just a quick question,

Can you install both the battery pack that comes with the Garmin Montana AND the AA batteries at the same time or just one or the other?

It would be nice if the pack and the AAs could be installed then switch between the two one the other loses power.

Thanks in advance.

JetMonkey

Bummer, it would be nice to be able to install both types of batteries then toggle from one to the other when one type gets low. Not sure what the point of the sealed battery pack is other than saving a couple of ounces of weight since the AA option is far cheaper if using rechargables and the duration with the AAs is longer.

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to order a Montana, and still carry extra batteries of one form or another in my pockets!

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to order a Montana, and still carry extra batteries of one form or another in my pockets!

the device need to be larger by 5X7X2 cm and heavier by 50 grams.

For me I would rather carry a lighter and smaller device.

Well, if they packed the Montana software into the Oregon, I'd have stayed with the Oregon a bit longer. However, like many ppl who's eyes are starting to have trouble focusing close, the larger screen is a blessing. Not to mention on the battery pack, the screen is way brighter. Also. the screen readablity is better then the Oregon also.

Yes, it's significantly larger and some times I would prefer the smaller unit, until I win the lottery, i have to make sacrifices in my toys.

Well, if they packed the Montana software into the Oregon, I'd have stayed with the Oregon a bit longer. However, like many ppl who's eyes are starting to have trouble focusing close, the larger screen is a blessing. Not to mention on the battery pack, the screen is way brighter. Also. the screen readablity is better then the Oregon also.

Yes, it's significantly larger and some times I would prefer the smaller unit, until I win the lottery, i have to make sacrifices in my toys.

Or you could go the next step up from the Montana to the 62s. Smaller screen but more geocaching friendly and brightness is similar.

Edited by baloo&bd

I would argue that the Montana is a step up from the 62, but that's just my opinion after owning both.

Montana Batteries: My observations.

Rechargable Li-ion: recharges in the cradle, lasts about a half a day, lighter, better in extreme cold weather (below zero).

AA's: Lasts an entire day afield, does not recharge in the cradle, heavier, suffers in extreme cold (below zero).

Edited by yogazoo

haven't used the 62 so i can't speak to that but i have cached with a few magellans, and a lot of different Garmins. The majority of my finds were done with a 60Cx. I had since owned the Colorado, once the bugs were gone, a nice caching unit. The Oregon, even better. But the Montana tops them all.

Fully agree

I am not complaining about the montana being too large. I just don't support the idea of making it anymore larger.

I would argue that the Montana is a step up from the 62 but that's just my opinion.

As someone who owns both, as far as geocaching, 62s hands down better.

As someone who sold his 62S after getting the Montana, Montana hands down better. Faster coordinate input, larger screen, better JNX handling for sattelite images, better geocache screen and with a free extra Li-Ion battery from garmin just about unbeatable :)