Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
markcase

Geocaching in Science

Here is one of the lesson plans I have used as an extra credit or an alternative assessment for students. Suggestions or ideas?

It has worked very well for me the past year.

geocaching in science.pdf

Edited by markcase

There will be a geocaching 101 session at the North Carolina Science Teacher Association meeting in Greensboro, NC this Friday, November 11. For more info, visit NCSTA website at NCSTA.ORG

A special treat: Groundspeak will have an exhibitor booth!

I worked with another teacher over the weekend to develop a geocaching lab activity. Similar to what the physical education or gym class is doing but with a little more accountability. Tested it this week with three classes and fine tuned it a bit more. Here is what we came up with. The locations are for my school campus. You can change the coordinates for your own school grounds.Geocaching Lab.pdf

From your avatar it looks as though your vehicle of choice is MC. Good choice. I bought a GS Dual sport partially because I wanted to get off the beaten path for GC.

Bikers rock!

I have a 2007 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom 50th anniversary edition. It has about 10,000 caching miles on it now.

Great - but why limit to 2 Earthcaches - when these are probably the most "scientific" of the caching types?

Also - I would suggest some key focus questions on the presentation for learning ideas - e.g. relating to maps, other tools possible (compass bearings etc.), satellite and geo-stationary concept.