Personal Coins

AtwellFamily

The first coins produced and for a number of years were personal coins that were 1.5" and didn't have all the bells and whistles we do today on coins. What would it take (besides a lottery win) to get you to produce a personal coin these days? quantity, price, features, size, tracking or not? I am curious to know and I am working to produce a personal coin that would be trackable as well as some that would not be. Just wondering what others are thinking.

Are people willing to trade for personals if they have not met or do you need to know the person. Just been reminiscing about the old days (2-3 years ago).

Look forward to the discussion.

personal coins remain my favorite, and I've traded trackable coins for a lot of great non trackables. I've traded with people I've met, and people that I will meet in the future :) .

the jukebox top 50 coins were a great group coin, and I hope to see something new in the future.

ILYK

well, I just had a personal produced that was at least 2-3 years in the making. I think it boils down to the sluggish economy for the most part, as to why they aren't produced the way they once were. let's face it, producing a coin is essentially done with someones disposable funds and there isn't as much of that as there once was for most folks.

Giving that statement, the obvious solution would be to reduce the cost of making a personal geocoin. Making group coins like drneal suggests does have a certain appeal to it... they aren't as expensive and have always seemed to do well. so that may be a small solution to your question.

Also as caching grows and evolution takes it's course, many feel geocoins have seen their day in the sun and cost too much to put in caches only to be stolen after a 3 cache/50 mile journey. and as much as the lilypad tries to ignore those little pathtag thingies, it has grown into the trade item of choice by many cachers and anyone can make approximately 12-15 different tag designs for the same cost of your average coin these days.

I did mention a couple years ago after the alluminum micro compass tag came out that if marketed the right way, I could see alluminum tags becoming the personal coin of yesterday... geoswag has done alot with the alluminum tag idea by offering them with a unique icon for each design, but they never became as personable as I had thought back then with anyone else but the folks at the lilypad. I have seen several lackeys that have personal tags which again, is much cheaper than a coin. hell, Geico even went the alluminum tag route... I think if any *personal trackables could be kept under the $5 range and they aren't obligated to buy a minimum order of 100 or so* , then your average cacher would show interest in it, even if it were a group coin project...

*non-approved vendor removed by moderator*

bottom line is, I wouldn't expect the personal coin craze to come back to even a fraction of what it used to be anytime soon... folks don't have the extra funds and the market has alot more to offer these days at cheaper prices...

Edited by Eartha
remove unauthorized vendor

The main issue, I believe is always going to be money. But sometimes it is also about local interest. I have been trying to get a coin for Estonia off the ground as, so far, noone has had one made here and I cannot get enough interest to fund it. The design is pretty much complete and I have had the quotes to have them made and this is where we stay as I personally do not have the cash to fund it on my own. In the mean time I have designed my first personal coin too but with no money it will stay a design only for now :)

I think a lot of former coiners have moved on to another type of round shiny thing, which is much cheaper to get minted.

One reason I myself haven't minted a personal coin in probably four years or so because I still have a bunch of my last personal coins left. And the cost of producing a coin has gone up since then.

I'd like to do another personal coin especially with the split. I really see no reason to have a personal coin trackable when to me they are meant to be traded and not a traveler. Most of the coins in my collection are not activated. But it seems that the current coiners don't like nontrackables as opposed to those that were collecting when I first started. The current coins have a lot of "bells and whistles" and are very pretty but to me are just commercial. For me I like the personals of the people I know--whether I have met them in person, traded with them or if the design grabs me. Take a look at Degai's coin and Snobird & Mountain Goat. I have to smile every time I look at them. But I have absolutely no money and actually am in the red. When I win the lottery I will mint another and also maybe a mystery coin. :P But in order to win I have to buy a ticket and I don't have any money. :(

As for the other shiny rounds things I have no money to mint them either. I do have a pretty good collection of them though. Around here a LOT of people make them -- I think because the company is Michigan based and we all know the owners. I find a lot in caches and trade for them. But sometimes I need a magnifying glass to figure out what they say or who might have minted them. :P With coins I really only need the magnifying glass to read some of the tracking numbers. Sooo if the coins were not trackable I wouldn't need the magnifying glass. :laughing:

We've minted 2 personals - trackable and non-trackable...and many of those "other" items. I prefer the non-trackable coins...the trackables seem too commercial to me, and hold less meaning (except for the milestone and event coins). I do not think a coin needs all the bells and whistles to be a good design. My favorite coins are the ones that hold a special meaning to me because of the memories associated with getting them...and most of those are simple designs and non-trackable. Brenda has a chibi dragon (her caching name) design in mind, and we may follow thru with it, but that is the only coin we have considered minting recently.

In regards to trading for personals...I've traded with many folks that I do not personally know, and will continue to do so. My prefered method of trading, though, is face-to-face. :D

Certainly, as has already been mentioned, money is first. Without that, there is no coin.

What would it take otherwise? Well, the stars would have to align for the most part . . . and it appears that they have, so I have a design and the art is at the mint. It will be my 2nd coin, the first in late 2006 -- 1.5", non-trackable and 150 of them. They were not sold, only traded or given away, or actually sent out traveling, using TB numbers. I think one of them may actually be still traveling.

This 2nd one is something of a departure from the 1st -- I'm being a bit more deliberate this time, I think because of one really bad experience in the past, since the first. Finally, I had a concept, found an outstanding designer for some art, and went from there. So, I'm looking at a primarily round 1.85" trackable coin with an icon. For now there will be 200 of them of as-yet-to-be-determined metal(s), samples, etc, etc, etc. Again, they won't be sold, but primarily traded or given away. My feeling is trading is trading, whether by mail or in person, but face-to-face is always nice. A coiner and cacher extraordinaire local to my neck of the woods once told me to keep my coins close . . . I liked that, and still do, planning to proceed deliberately.

Even with all that being said, I'm still on a wing and a prayer where the bucks are concerned. But I think all will align. However, the almighty dollar still rules!

I just made my own personal coin. It became a dream of me when I saw the first personal coins and the more I got coin addicted and the more I got stuck into this forum and the great people here (for sure one of the best communities in the world) the bigger got this dream. The final push to do this project came from Avroair when he asked in a cointest: ”…when did you make your first personal coin? N/A if you haven't yet, why not?”. I am blessed with a lovely and understanding wife and a great job so there was no reason for not doing this project.

First I thought of participating in a group project which started almost at the same time but I wanted to have a unique coin just for us. I also wanted to have it trackable because I wanted to send a few out into the wild and I thought it becomes more desirable for others. I wanted to have bells and whistles too so we hired a great designer (Chris Mackey) to finalize the ideas that I had in my head. At the bottom line I spend much more than I first wanted to but it was really worth it.

In general I’m sure money is the biggest obstacle. Even producing a non trackable small coin without expensive additional things is something people can pay out of the petty cach. Group projects are a great thing and I’m sure I will participate in one if there will be an attractive design in the future but again it is usually more than 5$ per coin.

Regarding trading personals I love to trade. The best is to trade face-to-face because the coin reminds me then on the coiner, the situation, the event and so on and gets a higher value to me. But I also love to trade without knowing the people. I just love to get and to open these bubble mailers from all over the world - and I love what Drneal said:

...I've traded with people I've met, and people that I will meet in the future :) ...

ILYK

Well, excess money for starters. That's the main thing that's kept me from minting another one since 2007. They're also too expensive to leave as swag in caches anymore and I've gone on to that something else Mauison mentions for that purpose.

Ideally, I'd like to get involved in another group coin again where I can purchase smaller quantities. I've done the GeoJellies, Big Bean, Top 40 Record and Parrothead as part of a group system where I could customize and make my version unique, purchasing as little as 20-25 pieces while still getting "trackable with icon."

Edited by AtlantaGal

unauthorized vendor? :blink:

I'm not sure why my post got edited. It wasn't like I was a walking billboard for anyone. I was only pointing out a geocaching personal trackable that under the current guidelines is considered a geocoin that is offered for sale to geocachers which helps promote geocaching.

I guess this is a clear case of I should be careful of whose toes I step on today because they could be attached to the reviewer you're kissing to make up with tomorrow! well, you get the picture...

my intention was not to promote anyone, I was mearly discussing trackables* that are in the market for geocachers to enjoy.

* trackable on gc.com with a unique icon, which also brings up the question, How can someone not be an approved vendor if they have many items that support and promote gc.com? gc.com supports the product in some way or another because gc.com is printed all over many of the products for sale through them.

back on topic,

I think you found the answer to your question boils down to the cost of having a coin minted.

I also went for the whole shooting match this time around. I hired an artist who made my idea come to life and minted the coin with all the bells and whistles... multi level 3D, shaped, trackable, icon...ect,ect,ect... it was quite pricey after I figured up the final cost per coin including the designer fees, but well worth it in the end.

Would I do it over again? certainly, but only for commercial coin purposes, not for a personal... another personal would probably come in the form of something much easier on the pocketbook...

Just like yanagi I had a personal coin made this year. In discussions through the forums I know he watch mine as we waited through the process and I watched as they made theirs. Having a personal made was a completion of a dream, I had a couple of group coins wbich helped inspire my personal.

As for the cost well it is expensive but there are less expensive ways with common backs etc. I figured that before I got onto a fix income I'd give myself a thrill and it is all very worth it, there's nothing like handing a coin to someone and saying "this is me" :D or having others come to you and complementing the coin.

Would I do it again .. in a heart beat :)

Believe it or not...we had our personal coin minted to SAVE money. We learned early on that it was cost effective to make our own coin and trade for the ones we liked rather than buy them outright. This has worked quite well for acquiring other personal coins but not so well getting the more commercial offerings

Edited by TeamEccs21

I'm reluctant to post this but, aside from the money aspect, in all honesty, I could not continue promoting the sweat-shop labor employed at the factories where many coins are minted. I'm not saying they are all like that. But once I discovered the process of how they are made and what the employees do to earn a very limited income, it made me feel bad that a project I wanted would subject other human beings to those kind of working conditions.

And again, I don't know about all of the factories and how they operate. I know that I was hoping to get my coins made as cheaply (though as beautifully) as possible. That probably meant going with a factory that didn't pay their workers very well.

Please, to my fellow coin lovers, this is in NO way a judgment on anyone else's decision to mint coins. I'm just saying it is a big reason why coins are less attractive to me at this point.

And if anyone has information that I am wrong about this, I'd LOVE to hear it.