ETA on mapping feature

CacheMonkeez

Once we ensure that the new server is ok, we'll start implementing maps. I suspect it will be available in 7-10 days.

Some features will be member only, some will not. It depends on how much bandwidth these maps will cause by having them on the site. In many ways I suspect people will use them over the nearest cache page, which is a concern (cost related).

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

In many ways I suspect people will use them over the nearest cache page, which is a concern (cost related).

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Hmmm. A reason to add functionality to the nearest cache page. (Only caches with TBs, only caches found in last x days, only caches not found, only caches (etc).) You've surely had more than enough suggestions for enhancements.

The maps are nice, but I'd prefer increased functionality in searches. (Of course, I really want both. icon_smile.gif)

7-10 days! That's wonderful! I just looked at the map page, and saw that it still had the "end of May" message, and assumed that it'd be next May.

/remembering back when the message said "end of February"

Budophylus

San Antonio, TX

5-star cache team member (because we can make the easiest 1/1 into a 5-* difficulty cache)

What started all of this? Well, I said to my friend: "I'm bored. Can't we find a new sport?" Now, hundreds of caches later...

Jeremy must have a strange defination of "in production".

quote:
The maps are now in production ......Once we have it operational we'll announce the new maps.
So they are in production but not operational. icon_biggrin.gif All kidding aside I am looking forward to them being operational.

quote:
Originally posted by AllenLacy:

Jeremy must have a strange defination of "in production

Approvers are currently using the maps. They are in production but not accessible to everyone.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Now that it's public knowledge that the approvers have been using the new maps for awhile, let me just say that they ROCK. A vast improvement over the old shapefile maps. They look pretty much like the sneak preview posted months ago, but with some new surprises that you all will see soon enough.

--------------------

Saving the day and approving all the caches... before bedtime!

Come on, give us a peek. Save one of those maps and post it here!

quote:
Originally posted by Keystone Approver:

Now that it's public knowledge that the approvers have been using the new maps for awhile, let me just say that they ROCK. A vast improvement over the old shapefile maps. They look pretty much like the sneak preview posted months ago, but with some new surprises that you all will see soon enough.

--------------------

Saving the day and approving all the caches... before bedtime!

quote:
Originally posted by Keystone Approver:

They look pretty much like the sneak preview posted months ago, but with some new surprises that you all will see soon enough.

We all! So they will apply worldwide then!

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

When will they go public?

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by AllenLacy:

Jeremy must have a strange defination of "in production

Approvers are currently using the maps. They are in production but not accessible to everyone.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Maybe a screen shot?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.

Sydney J. Harris

The fool who knows he is a fool is for that reason very wise. The fool who thinks himself wise is the greatest fool of all.

Shakyamuni

this is the text from the other thread (GC.com Discussion >> Locationless Moratorium) that rldill referenced above:

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

Step 0: Get maps operational (soon!)

We'll have a beta by this Friday. I'm almost solid on the date since we're now generating all the files needed to separate the cache types out by icons. I believe the locked file issue for these files have been fixed, which means we can now regenerate the files we need daily to keep the cache data current for the maps.

Bottom line: This is the top priority

Step 1: Move to new platform

We're moving all the "log a cache" "log a benchmark" and "log a travel bug" code over to the new platform next week. Well, the code will ultimately work with all the different areas, but we'll start with "log a cache." This includes new upload code that no longer has the 100k file upload limit. It will autosize your images when you upload them.

The "log a cache" page is the biggest step on the way to moving the site over to the new platform. We still have a lot to do to get the site moved over, but we're working hard to get it done as quickly as we can.

Step 2: Finish locationless caches.

We definitely have a plan for this, and as part of the coding I am doing to move to .net I am adding pieces to work with locationless caches. They are not going away.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

-- I am looking for cache recommendations for Salem, Mass. Got any?

I wasn't here when the 'old' maps were still fuctional so I'm not sure exactly what they were capable of so I don't know what to expect.

Can an admin give us a hint about what the new maps will do?

I assume they will differentiate between Caches you've found, Caches you haven't found, and caches you hid? Will they exclude any of these at user request?

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

quote:
Originally posted by southdeltan:

I wasn't here when the 'old' maps were still fuctional so I'm not sure exactly what they were capable of so I don't know what to expect.

Can an admin give us a hint about what the new maps will do?

I assume they will differentiate between Caches you've found, Caches you haven't found, and caches you hid? Will they exclude any of these at user request?

southdeltan

I don't know what's coming, but the old maps differentiated between old, new, found, and unfound. You'd be amazed at how helpful the found/unfound option is when planning a caching adventure. I've been quietly waiting for this feature to return, I'm excited to see the new version. icon_biggrin.gif

Arrrruuuuaaaagggghhhh!

Ack! Pttthhhb!

Still undergoing the long term effects of "map withdrawal."

It was supposed to be a week back on July 19!

Please tell me it will be this Friday (ie. tomorrow)!

I used the map feature *all* the time to plan cache hunts. Now everything looks identical and I have to resort to "&f=1" in the "nearby caches" feature. (That's another issue. I'd like the filter for that link as well as on my home page.)

There are over a thousand caches in my area, so squares all over doesn't help much when I've found 717 of them.

I appreciate that you all work hard with little thanks or reward. I just miss the map feature...

Parsa

quote:
Originally posted by Doc-Dean:

yes... 6:45 min to go... Can you make it?

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/aktion/action-smiley-076.gif

And may no Admin bricks http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/19490_2600.gif fly your way

We should place bets. big_smile.gif

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

logo_small.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by wilywampa:

umm.. he said "We'll have a beta by this Friday." betas are usually for internal testing, not for release to us commonfolk yet..

<<SNIP>>

Where did he say that?

I thought he said.......

quote:

We're still looking on-schedule for a release Friday. The new version of the map server seems to be working fine.

That means he is Beta testing it already with approvers I believe. But I may be wrong.

Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.

Sydney J. Harris

quote:

umm.. he said "We'll have a beta by this Friday." betas are usually for internal testing, not for release to us commonfolk yet..

http://home.comcast.net/~jakens/wampasig.jpg

http://wilywampa.zacknetwork.net/

From this post I gather it will be released to us.

quote:
posted by Jeremy

September 24, 2003 12:50 PM

We're still looking on-schedule for a release Friday. The new version of the map server seems to be working fine.

icon_mad.gifFormer EarthNOlink user!!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gif

icon_biggrin.gifTake a chance or you'll never know. Let your spirits soar! icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Harrald:

quote:

<<SNIP>>

Where did he say that?

I thought he said.......

quote:

That means he is Beta testing it already with approvers I believe. But I may be wrong.

_Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own. _

_Sydney J. Harris_

He did say that. He also said this (from this thread):

quote:
Step 0: Get maps operational (soon!)

We'll have a beta by this Friday. I'm almost solid on the date since we're now generating all the files needed to separate the cache types out by icons. I believe the locked file issue for these files have been fixed, which means we can now regenerate the files we need daily to keep the cache data current for the maps.

Bottom line: This is the top priority

and

This: ( this )

quote:
What cache are you referring to?

And quit griping. Maps will be up on Friday. Sheesh.

Jeremy Irish

I was under the impression for these that a beta version for USERS would be available friday. Approvers/Admin have had access to it for a while I think.