"Stocking" your own cache

Gan Dalf

Disclaimer: Before reading this, it is important to understand that where I live and cache and because of a certain trackable fiend in our area, it is important to move all trackables quickly and often...

Recenelty I read a statement from a moderator that it is considered rude to stock your own caches with travel bugs that you have found and I am curious to know why that is. I asked this question of a well respected and seasoned cacher in my area farely early on in my caching career and was assured that there is nothing wrong with it.

Personally I love finding and moving trackable and when I can help them to their goal so much the better. I am also a prolific OCD cacher, I've found all of the caches within a 10 mile radius around where I work and live and have other pockets of cache clearing in other nearby communities. Consequently I am not able to drop bugs off in nearby caches that I have not found unless new ones get published. So in order to keep bugs moving, I often will place the bugs I've collected in my own caches. I have a Travel Bug Rest Stop (no restrictions) that I have set up nearby speciclly for this purpose.

I have other reasons for placing bugs that I find on my own caches but I will let this play out and bring them up as others chime in so as to keep this initial post as short as I am capable of. So I ask again, why is it considered rude to place travel bugs in your own caches?

I think it's just fine to drop a bug in your own cache. Once those are taken, throw a few more in there. Nothing wrong with that at all. Now if no one ever visits, you probably don't need to keep adding more. Too many bugs in one place + muggles = lots of sad owners. That whole "all of your eggs on one basket" thing comes to mind.

As long as the bugs can keep moving, everyone is happy. For me, the only time I've ever had a problem with it is when folks stock VERY hard to get caches. Ones that may go months without a visit. Placing lots of bugs in those types may not be a good idea. But if it's a cache with a regular stream of visitors, and it doesn't conflict with the goals set by the trackable owners, I say it's just fine to place them in your own caches.

Just my opinion.

Edited by toolson

As mentioned in the other thread, one of the potential down sides of putting a whole bunch of trackable items in a single cache is that if something happens to the cache (and I'm not just talking about people stealing it, but natural disasters, accidents, damage from animals, etc.) all those items may be gone for good, or at least damaged. (The old idea of keeping all your eggs in one basket.)

As far as you finding all the caches in your area, that does not mean you can't drop off trackable items in them. Just log a note instead of a find when you do. (I've re-visited a specific cache I know of twice in order to drop off Geocoins, because I know that particular cache is pretty muggleproof, so it makes a great spot to drop off Geocoins. It's also convenient since I usually go near it once or twice a week.) Might not work as well for TBs with travelers.

Rather then collect a bunch of trackable items and put them in one cache, in an area where it's a good idea to move them on quickly, I would put them into a bunch of different caches I liked, or let other people move them. (If the reason behind moving them on quickly is because a Geocacher likes to go around and steal them, then I would think placing them all in a single cache would be a bad idea too since the person could go and steal them all at once. Now if it's not a Geocacher, then that might be different.)

A TB hotel is a little different, I can understand people picking up items to put into one of those. I personally would probably look for items that are in caches that aren't found frequently and move those, rather then items in caches that are found a lot. I also would not move one if it does not help it's mission.

Edited by EdrickV

....why is it considered rude to place travel bugs in your own caches?

I hope this statement is a misrepresentation of what was discussed.

Perhaps you had meant to word it differently than what you did.

I do not believe it is wrong to place a TB in your own cache. If so, a lot of folks are gonna burn in h___!

misrepresentation? Not intentionally. Misinterpretation? Perhaps, I am not infalable.

The original statement was, "It is considered rude to harvest trackables just to stock your own cache."

I originally took this to mean, don't take bugs and then place them in your own caches, it's rude... I can see how this might have not been the point. Still though, where is th eline? If you go out for a day of caching and collect 4 or 5 trackables and then those traakables all end up in your caches would this be considered harvesting and stocking? What if the trackables were all in older caches tha tdon't get found that often or have been there for an extensive amount of time, is this still harvesting and stocking?

I will often avoid putting a trackable in a cache that I am the first finder for in over a month because I don't want the trackable to just sit there for a month. By putting a trackable in a chace I own, I am reassured that the bug will be safe and that since it's my cache, I can check on it if necessary.

Personally I love finding and moving trackable and when I can help them to their goal so much the better. I am also a prolific OCD cacher, I've found all of the caches within a 10 mile radius around where I work and live and have other pockets of cache clearing in other nearby communities. Consequently I am not able to drop bugs off in nearby caches that I have not found unless new ones get published. So in order to keep bugs moving, I often will place the bugs I've collected in my own caches. I have a Travel Bug Rest Stop (no restrictions) that I have set up nearby speciclly for this purpose.

I have other reasons for placing bugs that I find on my own caches but I will let this play out and bring them up as others chime in so as to keep this initial post as short as I am capable of. So I ask again, why is it considered rude to place travel bugs in your own caches?

There are lots of "TB Hotels", but it's a tragedy when one goes missing, full of Trackables -- which happened recently at a local TB Hotel, huge container, that seems to have been taken by county workers from the easement in front of a Cache Owner's house.

Then there are "TB Prisons" where disgruntled cachers collect and basically keep Trackables hostage. It's kind of weird. I don't think that was necessarily the kind of cache the quote was about.

But you don't have to wait for a new cache to pop up, to place a Trackable. I guess you already know that, since your own caches aren't new ones, but I thought I should mention it anyway due to your post mentioning problems getting to caches you haven't found.

There are 4 or 5 safe caches locally, where I routinely place Trackables. These came in handy a couple of weeks ago when I was handed a bag of TBs from Europe at an event. I placed 3 TBs in each of 5 caches. Two were my own caches, but since those aren't frequently found for some reason, I'll probably end up moving some of the TBs out of them. My comfort level for TB population in a given cache is 3 Trackables. In which case I won't add more. I'd rather spread them out. If people see Trackables, they take them (cacher or non-cacher), and many people have no idea how to log them, so it's best if there are only a couple of Trackables.

Here's the deal with harvesting Trackables. Are you doing all the paperwork, and aiding all the missions? Are you personalizing all their logs? I had 15 TBs to move from the event, individualized all the logs, took & posted pictures with each one in the area for both grab and drop, with the intention that the grab would be worthwhile and interesting to the TB owners, and selected the various caches to drop them off, so maybe they don't all get stolen as a group, and maybe they get picked up by various people. I wouldn't just stuff them all into one of my caches. That just seems... rude. :rolleyes:

Edited by kunarion

The statement made about rude to stock your own caches with travelers is being misrepresented here. You are taking that statement out of context in which is was said. I, too followed the forum thread on this subject and when that statement was made it was pertaining to a specific instance whereby the cacher was putting travelers into a cache that a select few would be able to log. You had to submit your request to log that cache in advance and "be approved" to log it. So I would imagine that the cache was not even available to visit unless you in a sense made an appointment. This would prevent someone from just going to the cache and picking up the travelers to move them.

I don't think the statement was meant to cover the average cacher or the normal caching practices. It was in response to one cacher doing something that I too considered rude. How many cachers are going to log a cache whereby you must have cached on 366 days a year? Not many I imagine. So all those trackable were off limits to the average cacher. I think it is unfair to other cachers and to the TB owners to have placed that many in this type of cache,

Believe me, if I lived close to that cache I would have tried to rescue those travelers and move them on, even if it did anger the CO. I would not have logged the cache tho as i would not have qualified. However, I bet there would not have been available to do so.

I said it was considered rude to harvest Trackables (round them up from nearby caches just to put them in your own cache) to stock a cache. I wasn't citing guidelines, I was stating the feelings of this community, taken from my experience after @8 years of moderating these forums.

You can put all the trackables you want to, that you own, or are moving naturally, in a cache, but just to go out and take them from other caches, so that you can have them in your own cache, is not polite. It is especially rude if your cache is a TB prison, or unavailable.

And if it is a poorly placed cache, in a high muggle zone, there is a huge risk that they will all go missing, when the cache disappears.

....why is it considered rude to place travel bugs in your own caches?

I hope this statement is a misrepresentation of what was discussed.

Perhaps you had meant to word it differently than what you did.

I do not believe it is wrong to place a TB in your own cache. If so, a lot of folks are gonna burn in h___!

misrepresentation? Not intentionally. Misinterpretation? Perhaps, I am not infalable.

The original statement was, "It is considered rude to harvest trackables just to stock your own cache."

I originally took this to mean, don't take bugs and then place them in your own caches, it's rude... I can see how this might have not been the point. Still though, where is th eline? If you go out for a day of caching and collect 4 or 5 trackables and then those traakables all end up in your caches would this be considered harvesting and stocking? What if the trackables were all in older caches tha tdon't get found that often or have been there for an extensive amount of time, is this still harvesting and stocking?

I will often avoid putting a trackable in a cache that I am the first finder for in over a month because I don't want the trackable to just sit there for a month. By putting a trackable in a chace I own, I am reassured that the bug will be safe and that since it's my cache, I can check on it if necessary.

I'll go along with you regarding the "harvesting" aspect. I didn't see a direct reference to it (from the quote). Yes, I know this stems from another thread, but somebody else may not have caught that thread. :blink:

IMHO a person that harvests trackables simply to stock their own cache is a "user". This is simply a variation of a person that "uses" other people as a matter of existence. It happens in life, so it only makes sense that one would extend it to geocaching. I call them "leeches".

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

The term harvest applies when someone is collecting TBs with the sole intent of stocking their cache, with no regard to the bug's mission. If you are making a reasonable attempt to assist the bug's mission you can place it in any cache you wish.

Of course there are those who think that placing any bug in their own cache is assisting the bug, even when it is in direct opposition to the goal. And they expect the rest of us to believe them.

If a travel bug hotel is in a good spot for the quick and easy exchange of travel bugs, then an empty hotel won't stay empty long. People are always looking for a convenient place to drop bugs off. The owner of a well-placed hotel should actually be pleased if the hotel is occasionally empty, since it shows that the hotel is serving its purpose: to get bugs moving quickly. And if a hotel does stay empty for long periods of time without the cache owner continually raiding other caches to re-stock it, then it's not a good place for a travel bug hotel. - the hermit crabs @ Dec 2 2005,

Edited by BlueDeuce

So if I'm hearing things correctly, it's OK to go out on a normal caching day, pick up a few bugs from the caches you find and then place them in a cache or caches you own as long as that is conducive to the trackbales goal.

What is not OK is to go out on a run for the sole purpose of collecting trackables either from caches that you have found or ones you have not and then stick them in your own cache for the purpose of keeping it stocked with trackables...

I own a TB rest stop and I do put trackables in it that I have collected, either locally or during my travels. I also will often times remove or exchange the ones that are already in the cache to move them somewhere else, usually in conjunction with their goal. There is another trackable cache about 40 miles away near where my inlaws live (owned by someone else) that I will go to when I am in there for the purpose of exchanging bugs there as well. Sometimes the bugs that I remove from there end up in my own cache and vice versa.

It sounds to me that what I have been doing is OK, as long as I am not altering a particular bug from it's intended path. I was afraid that what I had been doing for the last 4 years was frowned upon and that I would have to change my approach to moving trackables, if not abandaning the practice all together.

So if I'm hearing things correctly, it's OK to go out on a normal caching day, pick up a few bugs from the caches you find and then place them in a cache or caches you own as long as that is conducive to the trackbales goal.

What is not OK is to go out on a run for the sole purpose of collecting trackables either from caches that you have found or ones you have not and then stick them in your own cache for the purpose of keeping it stocked with trackables...

I own a TB rest stop and I do put trackables in it that I have collected, either locally or during my travels. I also will often times remove or exchange the ones that are already in the cache to move them somewhere else, usually in conjunction with their goal. There is another trackable cache about 40 miles away near where my inlaws live (owned by someone else) that I will go to when I am in there for the purpose of exchanging bugs there as well. Sometimes the bugs that I remove from there end up in my own cache and vice versa.

It sounds to me that what I have been doing is OK, as long as I am not altering a particular bug from it's intended path. I was afraid that what I had been doing for the last 4 years was frowned upon and that I would have to change my approach to moving trackables, if not abandoning the practice all together.

Sounds OK to me. :)

That's a good clarification.

When TBs are gathered into one cache, people won't always understand what the purpose is. So one thing you could do is make a note on the TBs' pages or the cache page, mentioning what's going on. And when you pick up & place any TB, try to do that (with its goals, and with decent logs) in a way that you know the TB owner will appreciate.

I'll go along with you regarding the "harvesting" aspect. I didn't see a direct reference to it (from the quote). Yes, I know this stems from another thread, but somebody else may not have caught that thread. :blink:

IMHO a person that harvests trackables simply to stock their own cache is a "user". This is simply a variation of a person that "uses" other people as a matter of existence. It happens in life, so it only makes sense that one would extend it to geocaching. I call them "leeches".

This type of post is the reason I call this TB forum, The Whining and Unrealistic Expectation Forum.

Equating trackable movement YOU don't agree with to loathsom human behavior is obtuse. <_<

As a trackable owner, I want my TB to keep moving, or be in safe hands. As a trackable mover, I must be pure evil to you. I don't often stock my caches with TBs unless I'm doing maintenance but I do do it. (Yes I said, "do do.") TBs are a trading currency at events and I prefer to move them hand to hand for the most part because I hate being the last finder of a TB before it goes missing in a cache I left it in.

Taxing a brain cell to worry about the intent behind the movement of a TB or TBs that probably don't even belong to you is kinda petty and I don't understand whyyy people do this or why they would post about it as if their view of TB movement were law.

Edited by Snoogans

This type of post is the reason I call this TB forum, The Whining and Unrealistic Expectation Forum.

Equating trackable movement YOU don't agree with to loathsom human behavior is obtuse. <_<

As a trackable owner, I want my TB to keep moving, or be in safe hands. As a trackable mover, I must be pure evil to you. I don't often stock my caches with TBs unless I'm doing maintenance but I do do it. (Yes I said, "do do.") TBs are a trading currency at events and I prefer to move them hand to hand for the most part because I hate being the last finder of a TB before it goes missing in a cache I left it in.

Taxing a brain cell to worry about the intent behind the movement of a TB or TBs that probably don't even belong to you is kinda petty and I don't understand whyyy people do this or why they would post about it as if their view of TB movement were law.

Snoogans, did you miss the distinction made earlier in the thread between dropping a few trackables into your own caches and harvesting? Or do you truly believe that 25 trackables in a single cache are safer than being spread out among multiple caches? I have had some TBs sit in caches with that many travelers waiting to be moved. It was quite a few months before it got picked up, and only then because I had posted a note to the trackable's page with a request that it please be moved.

Snoogans, did you miss the distinction made earlier in the thread between dropping a few trackables into your own caches and harvesting? Or do you truly believe that 25 trackables in a single cache are safer than being spread out among multiple caches? I have had some TBs sit in caches with that many travelers waiting to be moved. It was quite a few months before it got picked up, and only then because I had posted a note to the trackable's page with a request that it please be moved.

Actually I think it is you that is missing the point of the thread. The original question was about whether or not it is acceptable to place trackables that you have collected into your own cache. The question has been answered and the consensus seems to be that as long as you are sticking to the goals of the bugs, placing then in you r own cache is acceptabel behavior. Harvesting and hoarding is not acceptable and is a practice that I think most people would agree is reprehensible. I believe that Snoogans probably believes this as well and was simply taking exception to the fact that an earlier post seemed to imply that simply placing a trackable in your own cache made you a leech...

No, I understood the point and consensus. Snoogans quoted and bolded part of Gitchee-Gummee's post so I was under the impression that was the post Snoogan's words were being directed towards. They both also seemed to be on the same page concerning the issue. So I was just asking for clarification from Snoogans if there really was a difference of opinion on the issue.

Actually I think it is you that is missing the point of the thread. The original question was about whether or not it is acceptable to place trackables that you have collected into your own cache. The question has been answered and the consensus seems to be that as long as you are sticking to the goals of the bugs, placing then in you r own cache is acceptabel behavior. Harvesting and hoarding is not acceptable and is a practice that I think most people would agree is reprehensible. I believe that Snoogans probably believes this as well and was simply taking exception to the fact that an earlier post seemed to imply that simply placing a trackable in your own cache made you a leech...

No, I understood the point and consensus. Snoogans quoted and bolded part of Gitchee-Gummee's post so I was under the impression that was the post Snoogan's words were being directed towards. They both also seemed to be on the same page concerning the issue. So I was just asking for clarification from Snoogans if there really was a difference of opinion on the issue (between Snoogans & Gitchee-Gummee).

No, I understood the point and consensus. Snoogans quoted and bolded part of Gitchee-Gummee's post so I was under the impression that was the post Snoogan's words were being directed towards. They both also seemed to be on the same page concerning the issue. So I was just asking for clarification from Snoogans if there really was a difference of opinion on the issue (between Snoogans & Gitchee-Gummee).

For clarification, trackable movement is a game within a game/sport/hobby/activity. Still, trackables are a game. Inanimate objects, not someone's child. No one can direct what another person does with one of my trackables. I just want them to move so I know that they are still active and not lost or stolen. I DON'T CARE HOW MY TB MOVES or who moves it, so why should anybody else? Sadly alot of this goes on in geocaching and I find it icky and creepy. Phooey on community consensus on how my TB should be moved.

The business of tacking on a label of loathsom human behavior in this context is incredibally obtuse.

For example, do you think Survivor or Big Brother are real? They are called reality but they are only game shows. Put 20 people in my way for a million dollar prize and I'll show you some entertaining behavior that some folks would call loathsom. It's a million freakin' dollars for cryin' out loud. It would NOT be an accurate representation of me. It would be me playing a game and trying to win. However people on those shows get labled evil, or stupid, etc. The same thing happens here and when I see it I say something.

Edited by Snoogans

Interesting. No matter that trackable owners release with what would seem to be a similar goal (movement), they are a varied lot. Some owners have made me smile with their notes; for other trackables, the owners cause me regret having bothered. Unfortunately, their trackables look the same inside a geocache container. To heck with mission statements; trackable movers need owner temperament cards! ;)

The business of tacking on a label of loathsom human behavior in this context is incredibally obtuse.

Snoogans is correct with this statement. The label that I attached to loathsome human behavior should have been kept to myself, or at least kept for a direct personal conversation. I shall endeavor to correct this dysfunction.

It was however, not meant to call a "harvester" a derogatory name (redundancy?), but to equate a type of behavior observed over (many) years totally unrelated to Travel Bugs, geocoins or geocaching in general. As such, it probably should not have been placed in this forum.

As far as releasing a TB into the wild, well... Que Sera, Sera. I do not believe we disagree on that issue.

The title of this thread should have been "Harvesting TBs just to stock your own cache....".

It is not rude to move a TB. We are discussing the practice of rounding up TBs from caches, just so your own cache will be stocked.

If it's a good location, travelers will visit on their own, through natural cacher activity.

I agree with toolson. I don't see a problem with it, but it frustrates me when you cannot access a certain bug you want to help move along. For instance, last fall somebody put one on a cache on a mountain pass near me. The snow didn't melt enough to find the cache until late AUG. Consequently, that bug was "frozen" there from OCT-AUG.

The title of this thread should have been "Harvesting TBs just to stock your own cache....".

But that is not how I interpreted the original statement. The way I read it, right or wrong, it seemed to me that simply placing bugs in your own cache was frowned upon. I titled the thread based on that assumption to ask if that perception was corect? It has been pointed out to me that my perception was not correct and that I had misunderstood. Which is good, and the reaosn why these forums exist, no?

Based on other threads and 'common' opinion, "Is it rude to put TB's in your own cache?" - both yes and no...

The difference as I see it is whether you are moving TB's around for the fun of moving them, or hoarding them as some form of incentive to going to your cache... TB's are meant to move, so if you can help them move about then great, by all means go for it, and if a cache of your own is the most appropriate for whatever reason then that is cool. As I see it a cache is a cache, and if it helps the journey then great.

What does become an issue is when you hear of owners collecting lots of TB's with the sole intention of filling up their own caches with them as some form of 'draw' to get other cachers visiting their caches. This (while technically perfectly legal) is frowned upon - this way means TB's are getting placed into a small range of caches which opens the door for muggles or thieves to find a whole cache full of cool items, and in one case mentioned on the forum lately had the owner putting TB's into a high difficulty cache, where traffic is always going to be limited, effectively putting the bugs into 'storage' until enough people come and find them.

It is worth noting that you don't need to be an owner or be new to a cache to place a TB there - If you go and revisit an already found cache to drop a TB, just log it in a note that the TB was dropped rather than claiming a find.

I see no reason to not put TBs in your own cache, unless one is trying to force people to treat your cache as a TB hotel prison, which from personal history, I believe you do not do. You have a TB hotel, I see nothing wrong with putting the odd trackable in there. If you try to maintain say 7 TBs in there at a time and tell people they HAVE to trade, then that is wrong.

Unfortunately, I think our area is not limited to just one individual's TB issues but I do think is the biggest offender.