Interesting Cache Hides

lindam2003

I am a newbie. I set up my account 14 months ago and went out twice....then didn't do it for 9 months. (Go ahead...rant away) But I really enjoy geocaching. So I have started getting back into it. My biggest issue is I don't really have anyone that I personally know in my area that is as interested in it as I am, and I don't want to go alone. Anyway, I LOVE it when I find an interesting hide. For the most part I find medicine bottles tossed under trees. I have seen a couple of very neat ideas that I may use sometime in another area, but I am just now in the process of placing my first hide, so I am starting easy. I have two questions for you:

1. Do you find if you see a hide that you want like and you place another hide similar to it in the next town over, do folks get nasty with you about "you stole my trademark"? And I am just referring to conatiner or hiding location...not the hints and puzzles used.

2. What are some interesting hides you have found along the way that you remember for more than 5 minutes after you drive away?

Thanks,

[and please if you aren't going to be nice, just don't respond:)]

I am a newbie. I set up my account 14 months ago and went out twice....then didn't do it for 9 months. (Go ahead...rant away) But I really enjoy geocaching. So I have started getting back into it. My biggest issue is I don't really have anyone that I personally know in my area that is as interested in it as I am, and I don't want to go alone. Anyway, I LOVE it when I find an interesting hide. For the most part I find medicine bottles tossed under trees. I have seen a couple of very neat ideas that I may use sometime in another area, but I am just now in the process of placing my first hide, so I am starting easy. I have two questions for you:

1. Do you find if you see a hide that you want like and you place another hide similar to it in the next town over, do folks get nasty with you about "you stole my trademark"? And I am just referring to conatiner or hiding location...not the hints and puzzles used.

2. What are some interesting hides you have found along the way that you remember for more than 5 minutes after you drive away?

Thanks,

[and please if you aren't going to be nice, just don't respond:)]

Have you yet discovered the "CCC" (Cool Cache Containers) thread in this forum? I think that's what you are basically asking about.

1. Do you find if you see a hide that you want like and you place another hide similar to it in the next town over, do folks get nasty with you about "you stole my trademark"?

If I were to see a truly unique hide style, and I wanted to mimic it, (imitation being the sincerest form of flattery), there are a couple things I would do. First, I would contact the owner of the unique hide and ask them for permission to copy their idea. Then, I would post something on the cache page to the effect of; "Copied this hide from one by BillyBobNosePicker with his permission". After doing both, I would not anticipate any problems.

Check out the CCC thread. It's chock full of kewl ideas! B)

We move around every couple years. I have a private bookmark list of puzzle caches I've enjoyed in other locations. We've used a couple of them so far.

I call the list "Copycat: Caches to redo once we move." But maybe I'll rename the list to "flattery," because that sounds a lot better. :anibad:

Someone just contatced me about one of my creative hides, looking to copy it in a nearby town.

I told him I had no issues with it. The only concern I mentioned was that you would have two identical creative hides, and thought that that would minmize the uniqueness of the hide, and one would lose the "wow" factor as the same hide style was used in to nearby locations.

But I didn't say he couldn't do it.