2-29 multi event and coin?

Doctor A

Here is the artwork for the coin we are making for our event. Is you are interested in joining us, in this coin for your event, please let me as soon as possible.

1c72964f-bc2b-4087-8c35-deb55b8f82b9.jpg

e1b055cb-0192-446e-83e8-bca1e1158b8e.jpg

Love it ...we are in!! As it turns out, by that date, that day will complete our Calendar Wooo Hoooo! B)

Edited by JoenSue

Well it looks like there's going to be a multi-event coin for 2-29-11. Look for details soon so you can start planning your event and your coin!

Here is the artwork for the coin we are making for our event. Is you are interested in joining us, in this coin for your event, please let me as soon as possible.

1c72964f-bc2b-4087-8c35-deb55b8f82b9.jpg

e1b055cb-0192-446e-83e8-bca1e1158b8e.jpg

We are interested in hosting a 2/29 event and acquiring these coins to sell at the event as well. Thanks for the wonderful design.

Cute coin! Same coin or two different ones being planned?

We are looking at it this way.

Our perception is this does not fall into the "Multi-Event" category but if the usual crew runs an event that day it would not hurt to advertise that is happening in multiple states/countries on your cache page.

1) An event like this may only be published every 4 years... no guarantee it will happen on the next leap year!

2) Educating all the new cachers that are popping up about the grid would be our focus. (45% of our 11-11-11 attendees were new cachers within the last year)

3) Telling them they have the hardest day logged after attending the event :rolleyes:

4) An LE 2012 coin will be available to either complete your grid or launch your challenge for the next 4 years :cool:

We don't expect a huge attendance on a Wed night (good luck if your running a day event) in Feb so an investment in a 100+ multi-event coins really does not fit the bill.

We really like NOSNOWS design.... geez a frog leaping over a frog...top that!!!! We like the idea that FEB 29 should be highlighted in some manor.

There is minor customization available according to the email we got back but we really like what was posted. If we have to customize it won't be far off :lol:

Just typing outloud.... Comments? :D

Our perception is this does not fall into the "Multi-Event" category but if the usual crew runs an event that day it would not hurt to advertise that is happening in multiple states/countries on your cache page.

1) An event like this may only be published every 4 years... no guarantee it will happen on the next leap year!

2) Educating all the new cachers that are popping up about the grid would be our focus. (45% of our 11-11-11 attendees were new cachers within the last year)

3) Telling them they have the hardest day logged after attending the event :rolleyes:

4) An LE 2012 coin will be available to either complete your grid or launch your challenge for the next 4 years :cool:

We don't expect a huge attendance on a Wed night (good luck if your running a day event) in Feb so an investment in a 100+ multi-event coins really does not fit the bill.

We really like NOSNOWS design.... geez a frog leaping over a frog...top that!!!! We like the idea that FEB 29 should be highlighted in some manor.

There is minor customization available according to the email we got back but we really like what was posted. If we have to customize it won't be far off :lol:

I agree. At my 11-11-11 event the other night I talked a little about the interest in an event and a coin that day and we probably had a similar percentage of newbites there. It was pretty clear that many people hadn't even thought about the difficulty in covering Feb 29th and that next year will be an opportunity they shouldn't pass up.

Here's one thing I'm planning to do to help with the issue of investment in coins: Since my family lives in the Fredericksburg VA area and are very active cachers, and I live in the Fresno area of CA, we're actually going to try to do a "Fresno/Fredericksburg" custom colors selection. I'll do an event here and my parents will do one there but this way we only each have to worry about selling 25 coins instead of the minimum 50. I did a poll at the 11-11-11 event to see who was interested in a coin and basically about 18 coins were wanted. Now granted everyone in the community wasn't there the other night, but we had a good turnout of about 40 or so people, and I'll expect less to come on a Wed night, though there may be some different ones. I had 14 of the 11-11-11 coins and did sell them all, but just exactly- no one wanted one that didn't get one. So I didn't want to risk me shelling out money for 50 coins and maybe ending up with 25 or so left. I'm happy with sharing colors with one other city, especially since there's a connection there- I've met a lot of the cachers in that area during travels and my mom has met quite a few of the local cachers here during visits.

So I thought I'd share that idea, other people may want to copy it- feel free to do so!

I agree. At my 11-11-11 event the other night I talked a little about the interest in an event and a coin that day and we probably had a similar percentage of newbites there. It was pretty clear that many people hadn't even thought about the difficulty in covering Feb 29th and that next year will be an opportunity they shouldn't pass up.

Here's one thing I'm planning to do to help with the issue of investment in coins: Since my family lives in the Fredericksburg VA area and are very active cachers, and I live in the Fresno area of CA, we're actually going to try to do a "Fresno/Fredericksburg" custom colors selection. I'll do an event here and my parents will do one there but this way we only each have to worry about selling 25 coins instead of the minimum 50. I did a poll at the 11-11-11 event to see who was interested in a coin and basically about 18 coins were wanted. Now granted everyone in the community wasn't there the other night, but we had a good turnout of about 40 or so people, and I'll expect less to come on a Wed night, though there may be some different ones. I had 14 of the 11-11-11 coins and did sell them all, but just exactly- no one wanted one that didn't get one. So I didn't want to risk me shelling out money for 50 coins and maybe ending up with 25 or so left. I'm happy with sharing colors with one other city, especially since there's a connection there- I've met a lot of the cachers in that area during travels and my mom has met quite a few of the local cachers here during visits.

So I thought I'd share that idea, other people may want to copy it- feel free to do so!

We live close enough to Fresno to go there for an event and would love to have an event-specific coin to commemorate the day. We'd even buy a couple from you if we can't make it to the event. Don't know if you are making a list of people who want one, but you could add us if you are!

We live close enough to Fresno to go there for an event and would love to have an event-specific coin to commemorate the day. We'd even buy a couple from you if we can't make it to the event. Don't know if you are making a list of people who want one, but you could add us if you are!

I love the design but as I said to Randy I think it is more of a 366 coin than a 2/29 coin. Here is how you can tell. If you needed Aug 3rd to get all your days to complete all 366, would you buy this coin to celebrate? My answer is yes, when I finish the 366 I want the coin. I think there could be a very nice design for 2/29 developed if we worked together and at the same time Randy could still produce his coin (not trying to step on toes).

Please provide your ideas for a coin and I'll have one of my artist help work it up. I think it would be cool to work together in the forums to design the coin. Things to think about, how do you want to show 2/29 (calendar, leap year, etc...), do you want it to be geocaching theme (elements of geocaching on the coin)?

Speak up, I am willing to do the leg work!

I wonder if maybe not having the word "done" on the calendar side would make it seem like a more applicable coin to everyone? It seems like there are clearly two different needs or wants- a coin for an event on Feb 29th and also a coin for having cached every day of the year. So I wonder if that word was gone if it wouldn't achieve both? For the event, the date of Feb 29th would be highlighted, and for people trying to cover their caching calendar, whether they went to an event on Feb 29th or not, it'd highlight that they cached all 366 days fo the year, including the elusive Feb 29th?

I like the idea of a frog leaping over an ammo can and I like the idea of highlighting Feb 29. Like Doctor A says there does seem to be two different wants. Maybe leaving the word Done off the back and put Feb 29 there. That side would be for the event. Leave the other side with that wording and that is for the folks that will be done. (not me unfortunately as I guess I don't think that far ahead LOL)

The coin I designed was for a multi event. It has the lilypad with 366 on the front. And a circular calendar with a 29 pointed star on the back. Similar to the 10-10-10 or 10 years. Do we need two separate threads.

What no Signal? :laughing:

Licensing fee!

Forgot that Generic leap frog then :P Definitely not a toad though.....

The coin I designed was for a multi event. It has the lilypad with 366 on the front. And a circular calendar with a 29 pointed star on the back. Similar to the 10-10-10 or 10 years. Do we need two separate threads.

I'm thinking of doing an event for that meaningful day (because my first event was very well :D ), so I'd like to have a special coin, depending on the minimum quantity to purchase <_<

There will be a unique version, due to the proximity of the event?

Sorry for the lack of updates. The last few weeks have not been fun at work.

Status update:

The dies for the coin are in process. Custom color submission is due by December 15 (min quantity of 50). If you want a quantity of more then 10, but less then 50 a generic version will be available (color to be reviled Dec 15 – Order by Dec 30). Rumor has it that single coins will be available at a web site near you.

If you are interested in more info for a custom color, please e-mail through GC.

The Minnesota event has been published GC37EMF.

For those that have not completed the grid by the event, we are going have these flip ready to insert into the flip.

320d88af-5bcf-4b02-b13f-3232f79cd4ef.jpg?rnd=0.3698432

884da807-9db0-4cb7-88ac-7b79b09727f1.jpg

Sorry for the lack of updates. The last few weeks have not been fun at work.

Status update:

The dies for the coin are in process. Custom color submission is due by December 15 (min quantity of 50). If you want a quantity of more then 10, but less then 50 a generic version will be available (color to be reviled Dec 15 – Order by Dec 30). Rumor has it that single coins will be available at a web site near you.

If you are interested in more info for a custom color, please e-mail through GC.

The Minnesota event has been published GC37EMF.

For those that have not completed the grid by the event, we are going have these flip ready to insert into the flip.

320d88af-5bcf-4b02-b13f-3232f79cd4ef.jpg?rnd=0.3698432

884da807-9db0-4cb7-88ac-7b79b09727f1.jpg

FYI the grid is also online under your geocaching stats tab. Shows all the days you are missing.

Any updates from anyone?

The Minnesota event GC37EMF is getting large as of now we have some 46 will attend which is I think is around 90 cachers, and we are still two month away.

As far as the coin,the final mint art has been sent to all participants. Coins are scheduled to arrive to participants mid February.

A version of the coin will be available from an approved Geocoin manufacturer, I’ll let them make the announcement and disclose their version.

If you want more than ten (10) coins, there is a generic version. Please let me know by Dec 30th. The generic version is below.

5cfe2e74-4a49-45d7-befc-01eed07d1a75.jpg

i'm now planning on a small gathering at a local ice cream shop, early evening. i do have a question though...will there be a souvenir for the gatherings that day?

ILYK

Not that I know about. I haven't heard anything from Groundspeak (doesn't mean something isn't in the works though).

The coin looks great, Avroair. Is there a list of multi-event locations?

Not that I'm aware of, I'm not holding an event, and I didn't organize this. I have a list of locations, or at least the ones I know about:

New York

Florida

Spain

Ontario, Canada

Praque

South Bohemia

New Zealand

Portugal

Manchester UK

Boise, ID

Arizona

Cologne, Germany

I think there's another thread for them with photos.

Edited by avroair

I'm not really into the coin thing, but there are at least 4 events here in the greater Austin area on 2/29.

1 person is hosting 1 at lunch and 1 in the evening in the SE part of the city. They are "fill the calendar" themed.

I am hosting 1 in the evening up north and it is themed on getting a smiley on Leap Day and I do make mention of getting that to be eligible for the bonus smiley on my calendar challenge cache.

The fourth is a flash mob event just before my event to meet at a nearby ball field where some folks will pool their skills and abilities to go after a fairly difficult cache.

There are more in other communities nearby.