Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
markcase

High School PE

Guilford County Schools suggested using Geocaching as an alternative to 'walking the track'. PE teachers were encouraged to set up a series of caches around school property. To get credit for the mile walk, students had to go to each cache and physically sign the log, in their own hand writing. The PE teacher collected the caches at the end of the day and thoset that did the cache run got credit for the mile walk AND extra credit.

What do you think? Like the idea? Improvments? Suggestions I can pass along to the PE teachers?

I think his caches are actually clip boards. He changed from containers to clip boards this year to make it easier on himself. He changes the location of all 8 spots every day, so they have to use the GPS or the app on their phones.

Guilford County Schools suggested using Geocaching as an alternative to 'walking the track'. PE teachers were encouraged to set up a series of caches around school property. To get credit for the mile walk, students had to go to each cache and physically sign the log, in their own hand writing. The PE teacher collected the caches at the end of the day and thoset that did the cache run got credit for the mile walk AND extra credit.

What do you think? Like the idea? Improvments? Suggestions I can pass along to the PE teachers?

I created an entire unit for my high school physical education classes. Most of the kids really enjoyed it. I utilized a number of powerpoints I created, incorporating a lot of the video clips about geocaching and all information I felt was important. I have a set of Geomate Jrs., but have had trouble getting them loaded so borrowed some from community members and had the students work in groups. I also allowed students to use their smart phones for this unit. They learned to first follow a simple map of our athletic areas inputting coordinates of the markings I had given them (somewhat like following a treasure map). Many students have difficulty following a simple map. After they learned how to read and write coordinates and follow the compass on the GPS, then I had them create caches within their own groups. I provided the containers and log sheets and they had to provide the SWAG. They had to find a hiding location, get coordinates, and create their story and hint. Over a period of days (depending how many groups), the students would head out at the beginning of class, hide their cache in their designated spot, return to where I was to pick up a listing of two or three caches to find I had placed the story and coordinates from each group in a sheet protector. When they completed those caches, they would return for the next set. Before the period was over, they had to pick up their own cache and return. They did far more moving around during each class period than most of them would do in a day. All aspects of the unit were graded and students were given the opportunity to earn extra credit by finding caches in the community. As they've left high school, several have become avid geocachers.