oops! I logged the TB in the wrong cache

Little Miss Muffet

I picked up a bunch of TB's from the table at GeoCoin Fest recently. Went caching with the family yesterday along a trail with 4 caches on it. I dropped TB's in caches along the way. I got home, started logging our finds and logging the TB's and accidentallly logged a TB in the wrong cache. I logged it in one cache when actually I placed it in another. I no longer have the TB so I don't have the number.

I tried deleting the log hoping that it would put the TB back into my inventory. It didn't work.

I did email the TB owner with the correct cache #, put notes in the logs, and there was another cacher following in our footsteps and he got it straightened out thankfully.

But is there a procedure on how to fix this? I'm sure this won't be the last time I make this error.

I picked up a bunch of TB's from the table at GeoCoin Fest recently. Went caching with the family yesterday along a trail with 4 caches on it. I dropped TB's in caches along the way. I got home, started logging our finds and logging the TB's and accidentallly logged a TB in the wrong cache. I logged it in one cache when actually I placed it in another. I no longer have the TB so I don't have the number.

I tried deleting the log hoping that it would put the TB back into my inventory. It didn't work.

I did email the TB owner with the correct cache #, put notes in the logs, and there was another cacher following in our footsteps and he got it straightened out thankfully.

But is there a procedure on how to fix this? I'm sure this won't be the last time I make this error.

You did all the right things. Not much else you could do without the TB number. We have all done it. Can't think of anything else you could have done and luckily it got fixed quickly.

It's possible, but gets a little long winded.

First/only/main rule is to "Keep a note of the TB's tracking number" in case of problems.

Makes trying to sort things out after a mistake so much easier!

Second rule is "Don't make the mistake"! :laughing:

If you have the TB's number, you can Retrieve or Grab the TB back, THEN delete logs, and start again.

Failing that, leave notes on the TB's page, and the caches involved (the one you dropped it in, and the one you said you dropped it in) and hope the next cacher will either correct things, or let you have the tracking number.

(OR, contact the TB owner, and see if they will let you have the TB's tracking number.)

Yes, keep the number (for your use only).

We actually have quite a list of all the trackables that we have moved. Although paperless, we immediately jot the name/number onto our personal (paper) notepad. Having this very question posed so many times in the forums -- that's right, you are hardly the first -- we decided early on to stay "un-paperless" when it comes to moving and recording travelers.

A big problem with never writing the number down, is the same-day pickup/drop off situations. The trackable can be picked up before you can even log it in. It happens pretty darned often!

Good luck caching, and enjoy the fun.