New earthcache scam?

keehotee

I recently had an email from a new cacher with a name very similar to my own (kehotee, not keehotee) claiming a find on one of my earthcaches.

I didn't know what was behind it, and after a few hours they'd changed the name on the account so I thought nothing more of it.

However, at the weekend I met a friend who'd recently logged that earthcache - and he'd had an email, supposedly from me, saying that I'd misplaced his answers email, and could he reply to the email confirming his answers.... if he hadn't known me personally there'd have been almost nothing to tell him this wasn't a genuine email from me asking for confirmation of the answers.

I've no idea if others had been emailed - and it was only the fact that one of the recipients was a friend that I even found out about it.

So look out - if you do get an email asking for confirmation of answers - or co-ords for a puzzle - check who sent you the email...and if I were you, only reply through the account link on the cache page :unsure:<_<

I don't know I'd call it a scam, given that if the perpetrator had succeeded in his dastardly plot you would have lost precisely nothing and he would have gained nothing except a blue circle turning into a yellow smiley and an extra point on his score that is worth, well, not much.

It's not like he can empty your bank account or trade his smileys in for money or anything.

I have a cache like that :D

Thought I'd have a quick Google and this is what I found.

Not guilty!!! At least this person didn't have the gall to use their geocaching name (unlike some). When googling for ideas now I am careful not to use any of the text or whatever in the puzzle in order to avoid links to solutions.