New Approver Notes

Spange & Crew

I just spent a great deal of time setting up a multi-cache and used the new approvers notes feature. Reading that this was to be deleted at approval I thought this would be a good place to place spoiler info for the approver. Like the final coordinates to the cache.

The cache was approved and the note was not deleted. So there the "new" cache was with the final coordiantes posted for all to see. I am not sure how long it was in this condition or how many may have seen it. Needless to say I will not be using this feature in the future.

Is this supposed to work like this?

Spange & Crew

"It's not rocket surgery...!"

Jeremy, I know it should be irrelevant, but is there a GPX log type for "note to admin" notes? If there is, I'd like to add support for it in Watcher, just for completeness' sake. (I already added "Note" and "Webcam Photo Taken" to Watcher, but I need to update my documentation for the other application people, since I seem to be the de facto information source when people need to know the enumerations.)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

Jeremy, I know it should be irrelevant, but is there a GPX log type for "note to admin" notes?

I would hope not. This information doesn't belong in a GPX file. It seems the auto-delete makes this a moot point anyway.

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

Jeremy, I know it should be irrelevant, but is there a GPX log type for "note to admin" notes?

I would hope not. This information doesn't belong in a GPX file. It seems the auto-delete makes this a moot point anyway.

And what if the approvers ever get the caches in special PQ-like GPX format? Or what if they let you get a single-cache GPX file, and you download one of your own not-yet-approved caches? Or... Or... Or...

I can make up plenty of valid hypothetical reasons to actually need to know, but all those are irrelevant to me. It is enough to know that it exists for me to want to properly support it. There have been two new log type enumeration values added recently; if I could add support *before* anyone actually gets a GPX file with the value, that's a good thing. Since I seem to have become the unofficial keeper of the enumerations (by virtue of the facts that I'm reachable and I know most of the answers), I figured I'd ask right off.

(Remember that old programmer's adage: Just because something can't happen doesn't mean it won't.)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

You should not see that note, but you're right about bringing up new log types. I also owe you an email, ClayJar, but It may not be until next weekend.

Thank you, Jeremy. I am very glad to hear a reply, and I'll keep an eye out for an email (although I might not think of it *too* much, since I've got to get everything together this week for next weekend's hiking Mount Leconte in the Smokies with my very best friend... she's actually going to come along and hike it! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif).

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]