Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
markcase

High School Language Arts

I am a science teacher and have lots of lesson plans for using geocaching in science. A co-worker teaches English 9, the class for grammar and spelling for high school.

I told her geocaching can be used in ANY subject (ok, science can tie to any subject). She aske how.

My suggestion was for students download the listing for the three closest caches to where they live. These are public published documents as anyone can view them. Correct for spelling, grammar and sentence structure.

My science club is getting ready to place a cache in the next week. We gave the English class the basic information. They studied several cache pages as a template. The assignment was for each person to write the listing. The best listing is going to be used by the science club.

Any more ideas?

I agree with you that geocaching can be used in any subject. But my experience has been in "educaching" where I create the caches and hide them on our campus. In that way you can load the caches with mini-science experiments, math problems, art supplies, a walkman with recorded music, tools to perform certain tasks, riddles, prompts, questions, the list in endless. But here is my problem. We use Geomate, Jrs. which allowed me to create private waypoints on our campus and download from the Geomate Jr site to the devices. Last week Geomate took down their site and I am left with six Geomate paper weights and a bunch of disappointed kids. I understand there is software I can download to help download a pocket cache from geocaching.com. But I can't create the private caches on geocaching.com because they will be too close together. You mentioned in a post in another forum that there was a way to create a data base of waypoints and upload them. Can you please explain the directions for this in detail? Thank you from me and all the kids waiting to resume geocaching.

There are a lot of ways to incorporate different subjects. I teach Spanish and I have my students Geocache all in Spanish. Writing the clues, searching for caches in Spanish-speaking countries, finding Geocaches on Google Earth, Finding Virtual Caches using internet, etc... English, for example, have students make puzzle caches using poetry (number of syllables in a haiku, how many sonnets did Shakespeare write, what year was this poem/book written). You can also search Geocaches by keyword. So, search using Shakespeare or Ralph Waldo Emerson or whatever you're studying.

As an English teacher, we are going to collect a cache and then move it to a new location. Students will be writing the listing for their new cache and after following it, they will write an essay from the perspective of the cache on its travels. I will keep you posted.