Found Benchmark. How do I log it?

Harry Dolphin

Last week, I went off to Maine for my niece's wedding. Then a drive through the White Mountains up to Quebec (because I had not found any caches in Quebec yet). Back down through Vermont, Mssachusetts and New York.

Doing a power trail near Lisbon, Me, and we found this benchmark:

f534f115-3f16-4815-8db1-09c6adb38c29.jpg

US Department of the Interior Geological Survey. Gauging Station. Approximate coords: N 44 04.375 W 070 12.631.

24810117-f598-4e9d-a1b2-ab86c103b1bf.jpg

Yup! There's the gauging station! But not in NGS. Oh, well.

Did the EarthCache at Quechee Gorge, Windsor County, Vermont, and found this benchmark:

e733a346-77b8-42c6-a913-eaf6e2e6d6a4.jpg

AA8834

Yup! Can log that one!

Where does Holograph come into the picture? :) Sullivan County, NH had not had a log by a geocacher yet... This colors in NH!

f0c41e94-2867-43b2-afd6-e17a54c9a7e9.jpg

OD0131

Had a fun trip!

That gauging station shows up on MyTopo maps, but obviously isn't in the NGS database, like many USGS marks. You could create a Waymark for it. If you wanted to do an official recovery report, there's info about that here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=172194

Edit: Comparing the approximate coordinates and Google Maps, it looks like better coordinates might be a good idea if you were to submit coordinates in a report, since those coordinates are nowhere near the river. (Assuming the river on Google Maps is the one in the picture.)

Edited by EdrickV

Silly. I don't do WhyBotherMarks. The one I did list was found once.

I just found it humorous that I was on a EarthCache expedition and found two benchmarks. I did miss two at Quechee Gorge. Oh, well. Smile and the world smiles with you.

Shirley, I will post photos of Quechee Gorge.

Oh, Thank you Mr. Dolphin. I will be awaiting those beautiful pics.

Shirley~