Time for a new GPSr

Today I managed a really clever thing mad.gif We got back to the car and I shut the GPSr down and placed it on the car roof whilst changing footwear etc. I guess you can all see where I'm going with this, but I managed to drive off with it still on the roof. Sadly, it didn't stay there and fell off the roof at about 40 mph and that as they say, is that. So I'm in the market for a replacement. I had a MemoryMap 2800, but am not fixated on another MemoryMap unit, but Ordnance Survey mapping is essential. Any thoughts on what I should, and I guess, shouldn't buy please. ThanksRichard

Take a look at my resource site, the page on GPS. The comparison table shows all the Garmin and Magellan GPS units and all their features. There is also a detailed review of the Magellan eXplorist 710/610/510 which are worth considering. Also a section on which maps are available (free or otherwise). Both the Garmin and Magellan GPS have OS 1:50K maps available for their units.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Today I managed a really clever thing mad.gif We got back to the car and I shut the GPSr down and placed it on the car roof whilst changing footwear etc. I guess you can all see where I'm going with this, but I managed to drive off with it still on the roof. Sadly, it didn't stay there and fell off the roof at about 40 mph and that as they say, is that. So I'm in the market for a replacement. I had a MemoryMap 2800, but am not fixated on another MemoryMap unit, but Ordnance Survey mapping is essential. Any thoughts on what I should, and I guess, shouldn't buy please. ThanksRichard

+

I would look for a car with an up turned lip on the roof as this may help. Unfortunately I have had a Mcflurry, a torch, a tent pole and most embarassingly my trousers (dont ask!) that have flown off as I turned on to a main road........ Sorry... you mean which GPS (LOL)

Thanks for these ideas, I'm currently tempting myself with either a Dakata 20, or an Oregon 450, both with full UK OS mapping. As it seems to be a price differential of about £50, I'm leaning towards the Oregon at the moment.

Just to say that I use an Oregon 450t, and it's just FAB. I didn't buy it for myself (too expensive) but it was a very special present for a very special occasion, so I'm just grateful I have it. Wouldn't use anything else, now.

I've happy with the Dakota20. Great GPSr, not dissimilar to the Oregon in terms of functions. It'll make a smaller bulge in your pocket and a smaller hole in your wallet than the Oregon :)

If your budget is smaller then the new Garmin eTrex series (10, 20, 30) might

be worth a look.

Edit:

Just checked and the eTrex 30 is more than the Dakota 20 :o

Make sure whichever one you get has a 3-axis compass rather than electronic and supports paperless caching.

Edited by MTH

I started off with the Garmin Oregon 450, would highly reccomend it, cost me about £300 when i was camping in wales, I then regretably had to sell it to fund my new camera lens as I'm doing A level photography and needed it urgently, Garmin are bringing out Etrex 10 and 20 I think they're about £100-£200, paperless and you can download maps, might be worth having a look at.

Just upgraded to a Montana, so am selling my Oregon 550 if anyone wants one, before I bung it on an auction site (PM me for details)?

I can recommend both the Oregon and the Montana, excellent bits of kit, as long as you treat Garmins firmware upgrades with caution.

Jon.

If some one offers me the right money for my Oregon 450t? I will take it!

I want a Montana! Sorry but having played with one recently at a show they are so much better than Oregon...

My Oregon might be up on an auction site before long :ph34r:

Just upgraded to a Montana, so am selling my Oregon 550 if anyone wants one, before I bung it on an auction site (PM me for details)?

I can recommend both the Oregon and the Montana, excellent bits of kit, as long as you treat Garmins firmware upgrades with caution.

Jon.

Probably not the right place to ask but as an Oregon 550 owner (I think it's really great) I'd love to know what else the Montana does?

Probably not the right place to answer, but since you asked here... it offers a bigger screen for us cachers whose eyesight is past it's best, which is why I got one.

It also has a Nuvi style Sat-Nav facility with flash screen rotation sensor thingey ma bob (talks directions to you if you have the right mount), supports over ten thousand caches, has a dedicated Garmin battery pack (or uses three AA's)! Interestingly I've found it DOESN'T support Wherigo's though!

But for me, it was just the screen size and an unfavourable eye-test that sold it to me.

Jon.

What's the story there?

I've just okayed the past three updates whenever they've prompted (I did make a file system backup of the 1gb onboard memory) before doing so, but not had any probs so far.

What's the story there?

I've just okayed the past three updates whenever they've prompted (I did make a file system backup of the 1gb onboard memory) before doing so, but not had any probs so far.

Quite simply, treat the updates with caution, if your GPSr is working and you don't need to update then don't rush out and do it just because the pop up occurs from WebUpdater unless you are prepared for possible problems. For example, release 5.1 of the x50 oregon firmware from earlier this month broke the wireless sharing and caused the unit to re-load all GPX files on every load amoungst other things, although it did add some neat geocaching features. Garmin quickly fixed it, bringing out release 5.2, but in the meantime alot of geocaching trips were disrupted. Keep an eye on the forums for new releases, but keep track of feedback from folks before jumping head first into doing one.

J