Ten Years -- My geocaches that survived a decade

Seth!

Way back in post #17, your reply to me said, "We're both off-topic while this continues, as the subject at hand should be the OP's caches". I have since stayed out of it until now. You continue to post rude, off-topic snipes.

I don't know -- it seems about even in terms of barb and counter-barb. I'm giving myself points, though, for a couple of on-topic posts in the mean time.

EDIT: btw, have you tried Seth!'s "Sawmill" cache? Quite the HTML adventure and tour of his interests.

Edited by I!
Way back in post #17, your reply to me said, "We're both off-topic while this continues, as the subject at hand should be the OP's caches". I have since stayed out of it until now. You continue to post rude, off-topic snipes.

I don't know -- it seems about even in terms of barb and counter-barb. I'm giving myself points, though, for a couple of on-topic posts in the mean time.

EDIT: btw, have you tried Seth!'s "Sawmill" cache? Quite the HTML adventure and tour of his interests.

This is not supposed to be about "barb/counter-barb" any more than it is supposed to be about the OP's cache maintenance. This is supposed to be a celebration and congratulatory thread that you seem to insist on stomping all over.

This is not supposed to be about "barb/counter-barb" any more than it is supposed to be about the OP's cache maintenance. This is supposed to be a celebration and congratulatory thread that you seem to insist on stomping all over.

Aw, c'mon, you're not that naive. Threads here don't run a prescribed course.

Did you take a look at the "Sawmills" cache? You might like it.

I did. Nice... I've tried to stay ou of this as I can see both sides but it does appear that there is some sort of agenda at work.

I did. Nice... I've tried to stay ou of this as I can see both sides but it does appear that there is some sort of agenda at work.

This will be my final post on the matter. If E! (with an exclaimation mark) insists on ranting, so be it. I am posting only because you feel there is some sort of agenda. The only agenda I have is the rude, off-topic remarks that have been made to a post that I don 't see as deserving them.

Why does this bother me? The cache owner, he he feels he needs to, is probably well up to that task. But it bothers me because of what I have heard so many times, from so many people, many of whom are my personal friends. In fact, I last heard it from a friend only three days ago... people are afraid of coming here because they see this as a "rough place". A place where they may get attacked by accidentally saying something wrong. They see it as a place full of bullies. I do not like that perception, and think that this should be a place where anybody can come without fear of attack.

What do you suppose these folks think when they see somebody coming here and starting a thread to call attention to the 10th anniversary of four of their hides, and instead of congratulations, they get attacked for wet logs and not clearing needs maintenance logs?

That, my friend, is my only agenda. Others here may have agendas of their own that I don't know about, but even if that is the case, I don't feel this is the thread to bring them up in.

i did. Nice... I've tried to stay ou of this as I can see both sides but it does appear that there is some sort of agenda at work.

This will be my final post on the matter. If E! (with an exclaimation mark) insists on ranting, so be it. I am posting only because you feel there is some sort of agenda. The only agenda I have is the rude, off-topic remarks that have been made to a post that I don 't see as deserving them.

Why does this bother me? The cache owner, he he feels he needs to, is probably well up to that task. But it bothers me because of what I have heard so many times, from so many people, many of whom are my personal friends. In fact, I last heard it from a friend only three days ago... people are afraid of coming here because they see this as a "rough place". A place where they may get attacked by accidentally saying something wrong. They see it as a place full of bullies. I do not like that perception, and think that this should be a place where anybody can come without fear of attack.

What do you suppose these folks think when they see somebody coming here and starting a thread to call attention to the 10th anniversary of four of their hides, and instead of congratulations, they get attacked for wet logs and not clearing needs maintenance logs? That, my friend, is my only agenda. Others here may have agendas of their own that I don't know about, but even if that is the case, I don't feel this is the thread to bring them up in.

The barking will only chase the cat further up the tree, but it will still glare at you. :D

That, my friend, is my only agenda. Others here may have agendas of their own that I don't know about, but even if that is the case, I don't feel this is the thread to bring them up in.

Understood, I don't disagree with you. The agenda to which I was referring was not yours however... :ph34r:

i did. Nice... I've tried to stay ou of this as I can see both sides but it does appear that there is some sort of agenda at work.

What do you suppose these folks think when they see somebody coming here and starting a thread to call attention to the 10th anniversary of four of their hides, and instead of congratulations, they get attacked for wet logs and not clearing needs maintenance logs? That, my friend, is my only agenda. Others here may have agendas of their own that I don't know about, but even if that is the case, I don't feel this is the thread to bring them up in.

The barking will only chase the cat further up the tree, but it will still glare at you. :D

funny-dog-pictures-cat-makes-dog-sit-tv.jpg

You lot are hilarious. Let's review the situation. CO says "hey, look at my caches". I say: "er, they're wet". Cue wave of pompous "calling-out" of "rudeness". Meh ... when something's old it doesn't need to be in good shape? Get a grip.

We threw you people out 230 years ago, yet you're still trying to tell us what to do. Surely there must be something closer to home for you to meddle in.

You lot are hilarious. Let's review the situation. CO says "hey, look at my caches". I say: "er, they're wet". Cue wave of pompous "calling-out" of "rudeness". Meh ... when something's old it doesn't need to be in good shape? Get a grip.

We threw you people out 230 years ago, yet you're still trying to tell us what to do. Surely there must be something closer to home for you to meddle in.

Nice! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Once again, someone else posts exactly what I've been thinking. :lol:

Like what, spoiler videos posted to YouTube? No need to meddle, the videographer has like 100% support over there. :anibad:

Huh, the Forum Gods are still warring! I suppose someone here will eventually break out a dictionary, a thesaurus, or perhaps recite something from the great literary works of mankind to show their intellectual superiority (as we see in so many other forum threads). Intellectual superiority or civility and reason in this thread...Oh No! It’s just another dog and cat fight over someone publicly patting himself on the back for having old geocaches. As a previous post pointed out, this is like civilization in a fish bowl.

Carry On!

This forum can be a really hard room sometimes. While I know from his prior posts that Seth! is a big boy and can take it, that doesn't excuse the behavior seen in this thread.

To the OP: Congrats on your caches.

My Great Caesar's Ghost cache turned ten years old last Thursday. Lately, I have been struggling with whether or not to archive it.

This should be a nice positive thread. There really should be no need for any negativity in this type of thread. Lets try to get this back to and stick to the positive side that some caches can and do survive for several years.

Edited by BruceS
spelling

This forum can be a really hard room sometimes. While I know from his prior posts that Seth! is a big boy and can take it, that doesn't excuse the behavior seen in this thread.

To the OP: Congrats on your caches.

My Great Caesar's Ghost cache turned ten years old last Thursday. Lately, I have been struggling with whether or not to archive it.

Only three finds since you last restocked the cache with what sounds like some very nice swag... some good comments, and apparently a challenging hide, even after the puzzle is solved... it looks from here as though it would be missed, should you archive it. I hope you keep it going for as long as you can.

:drama:

Zoinks. I just got back to read this thread I started. Now I remember why I stopped posting here! Thank you for the kind remarks. I'll ignore the others, except to say that yes, some of my geocaches need maintenance and I am quite behind in that regard. I'll do some sprucing up this weekend, in honor of the 10-year milestone.

Zoltig, that Far Side is one of my favorite comics. I had a coffee mug with that one on it when I was teaching.

Well, I'll probably not be seen in these forums for a while. Maybe in five years! Happy geocaching everyone.

Zoinks. I just got back to read this thread I started. Now I remember why I stopped posting here! Thank you for the kind remarks. I'll ignore the others, except to say that yes, some of my geocaches need maintenance and I am quite behind in that regard. I'll do some sprucing up this weekend, in honor of the 10-year milestone.

Zoltig, that Far Side is one of my favorite comics. I had a coffee mug with that one on it when I was teaching.

Well, I'll probably not be seen in these forums for a while. Maybe in five years! Happy geocaching everyone.

LOL! I feel your pain Seth! I once pronounced an achievement in this forum. I gave away 13,000 caches at GW4 as part of my One Degree of Separation project. To this day caches are still being hidden as part of the project, but for months, at the beginning, they were being listed at the rate of 1 every 4 hours. More than 1000 were hidden. Almost every state had at least 1 if not many and they were in 15+ countries all over the world after 1 year. I purposly kept it out of the forum until my goal of 1,000 caches hidden as part of the project was nearing completion. The coolest cache hidden as part of the project was on Saddam Hussain's viewing stand in his palace in Baghdad. I'm still very proud of the achievement and it hasn't been matched. :anibad:

The outcry over the project was verrrry entertaining. Concentrating on container quality and inflating the number of film can micros while almost completely ignoring the fact that 300 regular to large sized caches (seed pods) were the base of the project.

I still look at it from time to time when I need a laugh or think about tooting my own horn. :laughing: I was even accused of destroying the spirit of geocaching in one area. That (to me) is the best jumping of the shark I ever read in this forum. I'm so proud to have inspired it. :rolleyes:

Just think of the forums like you would think of a manicured lawn. When one blade sticks its head out above the rest... Someone else will be eager to cut it down to the correct length. :laughing:<_<

Edited by Snoogans

LOL! I feel your pain Seth! I once pronounced an achievement in this forum. I gave away 13,000 caches at GW4 as part of my One Degree of Separation project. To this day caches are still being hidden as part of the project, but for months, at the beginning, they were being listed at the rate of 1 every 4 hours. More than 1000 were hidden. Almost every state had at least 1 if not many and they were in 15+ countries all over the world after 1 year. I purposly kept it out of the forum until my goal of 1,000 caches hidden as part of the project was nearing completion. The coolest cache hidden as part of the project was on Saddam Hussain's viewing stand in his palace in Baghdad. I'm still very proud of the achievement and it hasn't been matched. :anibad:

The outcry over the project was verrrry entertaining. Concentrating on container quality and inflating the number of film can micros while almost completely ignoring the fact that 300 regular to large sized caches (seed pods) were the base of the project.

I still look at it from time to time when I need a laugh or think about tooting my own horn. :laughing: I was even accused of destroying the spirit of geocaching in one area. That (to me) is the best jumping of the shark I ever read in this forum. I'm so proud to have inspired it. :rolleyes:

Just think of the forums like you would think of a manicured lawn. When one blade sticks its head out above the rest... Someone else will be eager to cut it down to the correct length. :laughing:<_<

Just make sure you come back in here and let us know how many of those film cans lasted ten years, ok? :D

Just make sure you come back in here and let us know how many of those film cans lasted ten years, ok? :D

Some have already lasted 5 years. It's not too much of a stretch to think a few could last 5 more... :) Which sorta lessens the arguments against them at least in my mind. :rolleyes:

I'd bet money that there are already 10yo film can hides. I know of a few in Nevada that are already 8 or 9yo.

Edited by Snoogans