Ten Years -- My geocaches that survived a decade

Seth!

Hey, fellow geocachers. Four of my oldest geocaches have their ten-year anniversaries this month. My first geocache, Cul de Cache, hit that milestone on the 7th. That was followed by Urban Cache: Overdue (October 11, 2001), GPS? IP Address! (October 17, 2001), and Sawmill a.k.a. Your Browser's Cache that turns ten on the 30th.

I remember when Adrian (then four, now 14) and I hid Cul de Cache and thinking how cool it would be if it was still out there a decade later. It would be like ancient treasure! Would you believe that there were only 8,439 geocaches in the WORLD when we hid that? That number has rocketed to 1,554,874. It has been remarkable to see this activity grow from what it was then to what it is now. In the most basic ways, the game hasn't changed, but it is quite different in many other respects.

If you find yourself in the Seattle area, come on over to Kirkland and find some of the oldest surviving geocaches in the area. My Urban Cache: Overdue is a hit with everybody and the first of its kind, as far as I know. Cul de Cache is right by my house, so come say howdy.

Happy geocaching!

Congratz !!!! I only hope mine can last that long. One is in an area that is plagued with muggles The previous cache there all ways seemed to have issues. Which is how I ended up the that spot. The other area is WAY off the beaten trail, right near my childhood home :D I hope they make it to one year, then we shoot for the next milestone.

You might've cleaned-up the caches before drawing our attention to them:

* on one: "Very wet, needs drying,thanks!"

* on another: "As others have mentioned, the log is damp but signable."

Ok, but before you come on the forum to show off about it, do some serious maintenance work on your caches. :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: I dont understand your reason to come on the forum about it.

Plus, the cache right by your house got report that your logs are wet. That alone tell me what kind of CO you are.

Oh, good GRIEF, people! That inexcusable rudeness does not belong in a thread like this. Let's see how well you are maintaining your caches in ten years.

Very nice, Seth! You deserve to come here and boast a little bit. Congratulations, and thanks!!

Ok, but before you come on the forum to show off about it, do some serious maintenance work on your caches. :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: I dont understand your reason to come on the forum about it.

Plus, the cache right by your house got report that your logs are wet. That alone tell me what kind of CO you are.

Oh, good GRIEF, people! That inexcusable rudeness does not belong in a thread like this. Let's see how well you are maintaining your caches in ten years.

Very nice, Seth! You deserve to come here and boast a little bit. Congratulations, and thanks!!

Thank you KnowsChad, I was thinking the same thing.

To balance things out for the OP, I'll acknowledge the excellent originality of the idea behind his logbook-only cache.

But I stand by my comment about cache maintenance.

To balance things out for the OP, I'll acknowledge the excellent originality of the idea behind his logbook-only cache.

But I stand by my comment about cache maintenance.

Then I will stand by my comment about inexcusable rudeness. Do you go to somebody's birthday party and tell them how fat and old they are getting? Come on... there may be a time and a place for things like that, but this is surely not it. :mad:

Then I will stand by my comment about inexcusable rudeness.

Oh, get back in your box. The OP invited comment and got it.

Yes I'm sure he was looking for ridicule. This was a cool post until the trolls jumped in, but once again, somebody had to throw their un-needed two cents in. I guarantee you wouldn't talk like that to someone face to face, you'll just hide behind your monitor with little snipes, but do us all a favor, until you grow a pair, stay off the happy threads.

Then I will stand by my comment about inexcusable rudeness.

Oh, get back in your box. The OP invited comment and got it.

No, he did not. He was proudly announcing the ten year anniversary of his caches. Congratulations is due, not criticism. Your "get back in your box" line to me is also out of line. Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

No, he did not. He was proudly announcing the ten year anniversary of his caches. Congratulations is due, not criticism. Your "get back in your box" line to me is also out of line. Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

We're both off-topic while this continues, as the subject at hand should be the OP's caches and not the posting style of other contributors to the thread.

(On-topic edit: the OP's caches ... his old, in part inventive, in part ill-maintained, caches, that is.)

Edited by I!

If they're still around in ten years <_<

Hey, fellow geocachers. Four of my oldest geocaches have their ten-year anniversaries this month. My first geocache, Cul de Cache, hit that milestone on the 7th. That was followed by Urban Cache: Overdue (October 11, 2001), GPS? IP Address! (October 17, 2001), and Sawmill a.k.a. Your Browser's Cache that turns ten on the 30th.

I remember when Adrian (then four, now 14) and I hid Cul de Cache and thinking how cool it would be if it was still out there a decade later. It would be like ancient treasure! Would you believe that there were only 8,439 geocaches in the WORLD when we hid that? That number has rocketed to 1,554,874. It has been remarkable to see this activity grow from what it was then to what it is now. In the most basic ways, the game hasn't changed, but it is quite different in many other respects.

If you find yourself in the Seattle area, come on over to Kirkland and find some of the oldest surviving geocaches in the area. My Urban Cache: Overdue is a hit with everybody and the first of its kind, as far as I know. Cul de Cache is right by my house, so come say howdy.

Happy geocaching!

Cool on you Seth!

Good placement is the key.

I have a few caches that are candidates to outlive me since some of the mountain top and trail registers in the vacinity are in excess of 100 years old or nearing it. I'm hoping at least a few of my caches will last as long. Especially since they are in even better containers and sooo remote that they only get found a few times a year if that. :anibad:

Here's hoping yours go the long haul too.

My thoughts on this. Anyone that feels a need to legally add an exclamation point to their name obviously thinks too highly of himself. He obviously came here looking for more of the praise he's used to, and I think it's pretty funny that a few people set him down a notch for not maintaining his caches.

Are you speaking about Seth, or I? :D

Now that there was some funny stuff. Not to mention I don't know which one he's talking about either. :ph34r:

Are you speaking about Seth, or I? :D
Now that there was some funny stuff. Not to mention I don't know which one he's talking about either. :ph34r:

Perhaps you two should attend the OP's school for gifted children. All would, I think, become clear.

Edited by I!

My thoughts on this. Anyone that feels a need to legally add an exclamation point to their name obviously thinks too highly of himself. He obviously came here looking for more of the praise he's used to, and I think it's pretty funny that a few people set him down a notch for not maintaining his caches.

My name is Roman, growing up I had so many nicknames I was rarely called Roman so that became my online name. Signing up if this forum Roman was taken so I took [Roman] but thanks to this thread I now changed it to Roman!. Not legally mind you, I'd be just fine without the ! but as I've been called just about everything under the sun Roman is a nice break from it all.

Unbelievable rudeness, even by the notoriously low standards of these forums. Shame on the both of you.

Miss Manners: It's rude to reprimand others for their rudeness

The principle here is a major one: prohibiting embarrassing others. Even Miss Manners does not make herself obnoxious by going around reprimanding others.

Of course you are bound by the same rules, so you cannot reprimand the young ladies for their rudeness. But as you are on close terms with them, you can open a discussion about manners — surely a riveting subject — by complimenting them on their table manners and leading them into questions about the deeper purposes of etiquette.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/14/2655323/miss-manners-its-rude-to-reprimand.html#ixzz1bjeorw1m

My name is Roman, growing up I had so many nicknames I was rarely called Roman so that became my online name. Signing up if this forum Roman was taken so I took [Roman] but thanks to this thread I now changed it to Roman!. Not legally mind you, I'd be just fine without the ! but as I've been called just about everything under the sun Roman is a nice break from it all.

Well, that seems kind of excessive for just a joke inspired by the thread, but if you had a variation of plain old "Roman", I suppose it's better than the bracket around it. :P

WOW! I am always shocked about how this site lets stuff like this stay up. It is actually good and I think it might be the right way for this site but on the fishing site I moderate I would take away many of the negative comments and/or just lock the thread. I think it is good to let everyone here say what they want.

I for one want to say great job on having the caches out there for 10 years and counting. I would be happy if some of mine lasted 10 years and the comment was only damp log but still signable . As of now I would go change it but who knows how I will be in 10 years from now. If I was closer I would go find them for sure. If I ever end up in the area those ones would be ones I would seek out if I knew they had been there that long. Keep them going.

-WarNinjas!

Miss Manners: It's rude to reprimand others for their rudeness

The principle here is a major one: prohibiting embarrassing others. Even Miss Manners does not make herself obnoxious by going around reprimanding others.

Of course you are bound by the same rules, so you cannot reprimand the young ladies for their rudeness. But as you are on close terms with them, you can open a discussion about manners — surely a riveting subject — by complimenting them on their table manners and leading them into questions about the deeper purposes of etiquette.

Read more: http://www.kansascit...l#ixzz1bjeorw1m

I'll see your quote and raise you one "It Takes a Villiage to Raise a Village". I will call out rudeness when I see it, thank you, Miss Manners.

To the CO: it looks like you've got some great caches out there, but do you realise that many of them have Needs Maintenance attributes on them? In some cases, it seems the NM is out of date; in others, maintenance is genuinely needed e.g. due to wet logs. Please remember to use the Owner Maintenance log to clear the NM attribute as you attend to your caches. Then, as readers of this thread respond to your opening post, they won't be put off by all the firstaid-sm-yes.gif symbols.

You people are proof that the end is near. Not the end of the world. But the end of civilized society as we know it. How lame.

You lot are hilarious. Let's review the situation. CO says "hey, look at my caches". I say: "er, they're wet". Cue wave of pompous "calling-out" of "rudeness". Meh ... when something's old it doesn't need to be in good shape? Get a grip.

If the moderators weren't looking I'd fer sure commit a bannable offense.

If the moderators weren't looking I'd fer sure commit a bannable offense.

PM me if it helps your blood pressure.

Way back in post #17, your reply to me said, "We're both off-topic while this continues, as the subject at hand should be the OP's caches". I have since stayed out of it until now. You continue to post rude, off-topic snipes.