GpxView for Pocket PC 2002 is here

astrandb

Here is my attempt to view gpx files on the Pocket PC device. It is only tested on HP Jornada 568. It will only work on Pocket PC 2002.

The application is not complete or bug-free but it works reasonable well - so no guaranties... Please try it and have fun.

GpxView for Pocket PC 2002 can be found here

Åke Strandberg

Stockholm, Sweden

quote:

Here is my attempt to view gpx files on the Pocket PC device. It is only tested on HP Jornada 568. It will only work on Pocket PC 2002.

Works dadgum good on my iPAQ 3835.

Had to re-start the app to change from metric to statute, but I think I'll keep it. icon_smile.gif

And best of all, now I can scrap my half-baked PPC GPX app. Looking forward to more!

Thanks a bunch! And if you ever need a kidney or anything, drop me a line!

alex

quote:
Originally posted by Ake S:

Hi Åke

The app works extremely well, except one thing ...

I can't get the hints links to work. Nothing happens when I click on them.

Is this a bug?

I can't believe that I am the only person using this great application. It is so simple, you just sync the GPX file to your Pocket PC and you have the web page for every cache in your query. I have deleted Mobipocket from my PC and Pocket PC.

Give it a try, I think you will like it.

Aladin Sane

Sadly, my technical abilities only allow me to enable the VCR to blink the actual time. Would someone be so kind as to post detailed step-by-step instructions for making this work on an IPAQ? And I do mean detailed (i.e., #1 Turn on computer). I have Avantgo on the IPAQ - though I am clueless as to how to use it/configure it.

Well, I'm not using it since I have no way of using it. (I don't have a PocketPC, much less 2002.) I'm really interested in what it does, though. Incidentally, what's it written in?

(I'm curious. I'm not to the point I can get a new PocketPC, but I'm certainly always thinking of things for Watcher's present and future.)

quote:

Sadly, my technical abilities only allow me to enable the VCR to blink the actual time. Would someone be so kind as to post detailed step-by-step instructions for making this work on an IPAQ? And I do mean detailed (i.e., #1 Turn on computer). I have Avantgo on the IPAQ - though I am clueless as to how to use it/configure it.

Quick Install:

click on the word "here" in the first message.

select "download latest version" from the resulting web page.

save "gpxviewinstall.exe" on your computer somwhere.

make sure iPAQ is in cradle and ActiveSync is "Active"

locate somewhere on your computer and double click "gpxviewinstall.exe"

click next

select "I accept.." after reading the license agreement.

click finish.

activesync will ask to install into the default directory. Say yes.

the application installs.

copy a GPX file to your "iPAQ My Documents" (or whatever) folder. It should auto-sync to the iPAQ.

on the iPAQ, click GPXview on the start menu.

select your GPX file.

you're on your own from here. icon_smile.gif

Now that's what I call "step by step." icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps!

alex

Clay, I have no idea what the program is written in. I am an engineer, and I figured out long ago that programmers where better at programming than I am, so when I need something written, I hire a good prgrammer. I do like your Watcher utility also. As for a Pocket PC, I love mine. It is far more powerfull than any Palm device I have ever seen. I also like the fact that the data entry area of the screen can be turned on and off, leaving you with a much larger viewable area when it its turned off. Start saving, it will be worth it.

Aladin Sane

quote:
Incidentally, what's it written in?

It's written in eMbedded Visual C++ 3.0 using MFC.

It is really simple in it's logic:

1. Display a list of files with gpx and xml extension.

2. The user selects one of them.

3. The program will show a list view of the caches, name, urlname, distance and bearing to "home". You can sort by any of the columns. No filter implemented yet.

4. Click on a cache and all the details from the gpx-file is displayed

5. That's all for now.

I'm working on next version. It will include a few bux fixes, display af cache type icons in the list view, better performance, a little bit more complete help file, possibility to scroll using the keys on the PocketPC, possibility to export caches to push-pins for MS Pocket Streets, and a few more things. ETA approx one week from now.

/Åke S

The difference is that GPXview is resident on your Pocket PC. You sync the GPX file to your PPC and GPXview opens the file and displays a list of the caches in your query. There is limited sorting that you can do to this list. You can then tap on the cache name you are interested in. This pulls up a compact version of the cache web page. Complete with hints (either decrypted or not) and recent logs.

I understand a few more search/display options will be added in the weeks to come.

I love it. I will never print our another paper cache sheet.

Aladin Sane

quote:

It's written in eMbedded Visual C++ 3.0 using MFC.

It is really simple in it's logic:

If you're open to suggestions, some things that I'd like to see:

user-configurable columns in the listview (optional hider, date hidden, etc..)

an option to "make this cache my 'home coordinates'" (sorta like find nearby caches)

last-logged in a column (for reading recent logs)

Heck, I'm even willing to write them. I do C and a bit of C++. I'm sure I can overcome the learning curve of eVC with a bit of sample code to work from. I've all but scrapped my little eVB application due to a lack of power in the standard ADOCE database tools and the fact that it seems like everything I try to do required mapping raw API calls anyway. If you want help, lemme know.

Keep up the good work!

alex

The only issue that I found is that the external up/down scroll button doesn't work when viewing the cache pages. It moves from one cache to the next on the main page, but you have to use the scroll bar within the software to scroll on the cache page.

quote:

It´s there already. Try to tap-and-hold in the list view.

Excellent! Just checked out 1.0 also. More GREAT work. One little bug...

It seems to have East and West backwards on the direction. For instance, it says that GC8ECA (N29.78582 W93.33492) is East of GCAF1A (N29.90897 W91.90257). It appears to be correct for points East of -90 degrees, however.

Keep up the good work!

I just got my pocket pc back and I just love GpxView. It loads up a little slow but I love the layout and I love not being dependent on yet another server.

Ake s:

I went to your website and when I tried to register got the policy screen and clicked on accept or ok (I forgot which it was) and was taken back to the top of the policy screen. Couldn't get beyond the policy page.

quote:
I went to your website and when I tried to register got the policy screen and clicked on accept or ok (I forgot which it was) and was taken back to the top of the policy screen. Couldn't get beyond the policy page.

It works when I try to register a new member. Check that cookies are enabled in your browser.

/Åke S

quote:
Originally posted by Leek:

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you generate the GPX files to feed this application?

You get GPX files from the Pocket Query Generator (one of the great features you get for being a supporting member of Geocaching.com).

With GPXView (for PocketPC 2002), Watcher (for Windows), gpx2html (for anything with a web browser - PocketIE, Plucker [for PalmOS], or whatever), and GPX Spinner (for twiddling things), Pocket Query GPX files are quite worth the investment.

I am a member and had been using the .LOC and .PRC downloads with MobiPocket... Hadn't noticed the drop-down which allowed me to select GPX format...

Thanks...

You will seek the Cache, and you will find it if

you seek it with all your heart and with all your soul...(with apologies to Deuteronomy)

quote:
It works when I try to register a new member. Check that cookies are enabled in your browser.

Cookies are turned on and I still can’t register. Might be something going on in my system, I’ve been having strange things happening here lately. I spent almost two hours on the phone with Dell yesterday and the new hard drive is supposed to be here Monday. I’ll try again after I get it all loaded up.

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

It seems to have East and West backwards on the direction. For instance, it says that GC8ECA (N29.78582 W93.33492) is East of GCAF1A (N29.90897 W91.90257). It appears to be correct for points East of -90 degrees, however.

This phenomenon is now removed. I have tested with waypoints around the world and I think it is OK now.

Columns with "Date placed" and "Date Last logged" are added.

Download here

/Åke S

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Is there a way to search for a waypoint? I've got 300+ in one querie and 500 in another.

i.e. search for GCBLAH in 4010.gpx and 891.gpx? You can always merge the two into one big GPX and use the column heading sorts to put 'em in logical order...

I think a recent version of Clayjar's watcher app will let you merge the two, as well as gpsbabel. Unfortunately, the bigger the GPX file, the longer it takes to load it all up. icon_smile.gif My iPAQ 3835 takes about 15 seconds to load up a 2MB GPX file with about 600 total caches in it.

???

alex

Finaly got everything working. Well mostly working. There are a couple of things that have me perplexed:

1) The distance and bearing columns don't seem right. The distance is in Kilometers (7800+) and the bearing always seems to be NW. I did the search based on my Oregon Zip code - yet it seems to think I am 4000+ miles somewhere else. Any idea what is wrong?

2) The longitude and latitude are not in the same format as Geocache.Com They show as 45.##### versus 45.##.###. (I know one is HH.MMM but can't recall what the other is.) Anyway - is there a way to show it as 45 ##.####.

Thanks,

Zigzag3

quote:

2) The longitude and latitude are not in the same format as Geocache.Com They show as 45.##### versus 45.##.###. (I know one is HH.MMM but can't recall what the other is.) Anyway - is there a way to show it as 45 ##.####.

Check your settings. Select the "DD MM.MMM" button on the Tools -> Settings -> Units tab.

quote:

1) The distance and bearing columns don't seem right. The distance is in Kilometers (7800+) and the bearing always seems to be NW. I did the search based on my Oregon Zip code - yet it seems to think I am 4000+ miles somewhere else. Any idea what is wrong?

Check your home coordinate settings on the "Home pos" tab (same place as above). If you're in Oregon, this should look something like:

Latitude: N 42 09.123

Longitude: W 122 40.456

If you enter something like "N.42.09.123" or "N 42.09.123", you're going to confuse it. icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps!

alex

Try the built-in help, (tap Start->Help). You will fing short explanations of the different settings.

The reason behind "Enable external links" is that some cache descriptions include links to other sites. If you have e.g. bluetooth connected mobile phone in your pocket, it will automatically connect to internet if the page contains an image from an external site. If you do not want your phone start dialling "spontaneously" then keep the default setting.

/Åke S

GPXView is nearly perfect. I sure would like to see a couple more columns added to the initial screen (e.g., list of caches).

1) Cache type. I would like to sort on virtual, multi-point, etc. I am not a big fan of virtual. A 2 character code/abbreviation (i.e., VC) would be great for space purposes.

2) Travel Bug (checkbox). I like to home in on caches with TBs. Either a Y or N field, or Y or blank would do the trick.

3) Difficulty/Terrain. I suppose this is two columns - but combining the two fields into one column works for me.

With above columns, I can quickly find the cache that is right for me. Thanks for this tool. For the technologically challenged, you have made it a no brainer. Simply load the GPX file and go.

Thanks again,

Zigzag3

Zigzag3, why don't you just use the options in the query generator to screen out virtuals, or select caches with Travel Bugs? You may not have noticed that the cache icon beside the GCnumber changes for the type of cache it represents. At least it does with standard and multi caches. My query only reports those types.

Aladin Sane

I could limit the selections and create the "perfect" GPX file. However, I would rather have all caches in my vicinity. Sometimes you only have enough time/energy for a quick cache - and an easy cache with a TB doesn't meet my time constraints. As such, better to find a virtual cache, than no cache at all.

Zigzag3

quote:
I could limit the selections and create the "perfect" GPX file. However, I would rather have all caches in my vicinity. Sometimes you only have enough time/energy for a quick cache - and an easy cache with a TB doesn't meet my time constraints. As such, better to find a virtual cache, than no cache at all.

That's pretty much where I was going with the "User Configurable Columns" suggestion.

For instance, I really don't care much about bearing, difficulty, terrain, travel bugs, and even GCBLAH numbers for that matter. I wouldn't want to have to scroll past your travelbugs to get to my "date last logged." icon_smile.gif We're limited to 3-4 good columns of data at most on these little screens before rolling-right becomes too much of a hassle.

Although I'm not the one doing the work, what little experience I have with MS list controls and GPX/XML tells me that it isn't an impossible task.

Then again, I'm also pleased as punch with what I've got now and very thanful to Åke for letting me play with it free of charge. icon_smile.gif

alex

What an easy process. I got a Dell Axim for Xmas and when I saw Geocaching added the query feature I paid my dues. No more pages to forget in the car.. I spent last night and this morning reading discussions and started to think all the work to get cache pages on my handheld. But learning about GpxView, it is so easy. Thank you Ake. icon_cool.gif I feel sorry for those Palm guys.

quote:
Originally posted by Utahbill:

SWEET! I just installed it on my wifes Axim and it runs very well. My Palm IIIC with mobipocket reader doesn't look to good any more. Now if she will just let me take it caching....

Utahbill

Heh I leave mine in the car.. (w/alarm ppl) icon_smile.gif

Well for one thing GpxView can resort the data on several fields including distance from a center point which can be changed to any coordinates you desire. I make the cache I'm currently on the center then tap the dist heading and they are all displayed in order of distance from where I am. Another cool feature is the way it handles hints, linked right from the cache listing and not in an appendix. While viewing the cache you scroll instead of page flipping. It's a lot easier to find a particular cache but best of all it's shareware.

It could be an interesting challenge to combine the programs into one.

An obvious problem is that Windows CE/Pocket PC does only include a limited subset of functions compared to the full Windows. This also applies to Pocket Explorer and Internet Explorer. The built-in XML parser is also slow and with limited functionality compared to the versions available for full-size computers.

Most thing can be solved in C++ but it is beyond my capacity to extend the API:s in Pocket PC.

Can you explain your problems regarding "sort by nearest". It is supposed to work.

/Åke S