Virtual Designator in the ID?

Team PCBeach

Is it possible to have the cache designator (GCxxxx) have something that makes it clear the cache is a virtual? I often download the nearest 100 caches to a place I am going and then hunt just using the lat/lon in the GPS with no cache page. It would be nice to know if a location was a virtual so I would not spend time looking around thinking I was going to find a micro.

Before a bunch of people jump on you for unwittingly beating a dead horse, let me just answer your question as simply and concisely as possible.

If you are a premium (i.e. subscribing) member, you can use Pocket Queries to get GPX files of up to 500 caches at a time. (Those files are, basically, the entire cache pages of all the caches in them.) You can then take those and load them into a PDA, or use Watcher (yipee!) to do cool things with them, or even... use Spinner of gpsbabel to change the waypoint names, icons, or what-have-you based on the type of cache (or any of a number of other things).

Best thing since the removal of Selective Availability? It just might be. icon_wink.gif

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

Sorry, but when I see a dead horse i just have to beat it a little!

Perhaps when you are downloading the nearest 100, you could look at the cache list enough to tell what type of cache it is? Don't check the box beside a virtual, or multi, or "?", or anything that would require you to have the cache page.

Nearest 100 would be five pages. That should take you about two minutes to screen through, or a bit longer on dial-up.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

Thanks. Didn't think it was a dead horse as I did a search first and did not find anything. Maybe I did not look back far enough.

I also don't want to miss the virtuals, just know what they are. The process I use now is the manual one, after I download the .loc file I rename virtuals to end in V before I send them to the EMap. Guess that is the best solution for now.

I will also look into the Spinner/Plucker Solution.

[This message was edited by PCBeach on July 25, 2003 at 07:36 PM.]

Well, I didn't have problems before, but I do now.

Many times when I'm actively using geocaching.com (cookies on), I'll click on the My Page link and will get the login page instead. The login boxes are *not* displayed. In fact it says I am logged in (as Parsa). However, if I click the My Page link again, I just go back to that same login page. I have to actually log out, and log in again, at which time I'm transfered to the My page.

Parsa