Geocaching: Hobby or Sport?

dcmcveigh

Here is a topic that should cause some heartache. Would you consider geocaching a hobby or sport?

Definitions from Dictionary.com:

Sport (noun)

1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

2. a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.

3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

4. jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.

5. mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him.

Hobby (noun)

1. an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation: Her hobbies include stamp-collecting and woodcarving.

2. a child's hobbyhorse.

3. Archaic. a small horse.

My opinion it is a hobby, where there are no winners/losers, no uniforms, no practice sessions for the big game, no playoffs, and no championship. I think of a sport where people work out and stay in shape to be better than the next opponent. There is a little athletic activity involved in geocaching, for example long hikes through the wilderness, rock climbing, swimming, canoeing, stretching, and jumping to name a few, but overall I think it doesn't take a bunch of energy to do a majority of the caches. So it drives me nuts when I see geocaching referred to as a sport. I played sports or competitive activites majority of my life, and done some physically tough geocaches, even competed in the Texas Challenge, but bottom line is that geocaching doesn't earn the title of a sport.

Now I can see where some cachers consider it a sport b/c the the stat chasing or FTF hunt, but to me it is still a hobby.

......and go with the responses....

A great question. Personally I treat it as a hobby but as you point out it could be defined as a sport when certain factors are involved. Where it breaks down as a sport is the fact there are no clear winners/losers or a defined start and end point.

That could be changed by introducing geocaching trials. Like sheepdog trials where there is a defined course and objectives that are observed/marshalled in a controlled way (can I copyright that?? :blink: ). Some such objectives would naturally involve speed and agility depending on the terrain. But that's for another topic B).

As all things it's a matter of perspective!

Here is a topic that should cause some heartache. Would you consider geocaching a hobby or sport?

Definitions from Dictionary.com:

Sport (noun)

1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Hobby (noun)

1. an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation: Her hobbies include stamp-collecting and woodcarving.

2. a child's hobbyhorse.

My opinion it is a hobby, where there are no winners/losers, no uniforms, no practice sessions for the big game, no playoffs, and no championship. I think of a sport where people work out and stay in shape to be better than the next opponent. There is a little athletic activity involved in geocaching, for example long hikes through the wilderness, rock climbing, swimming, canoeing, stretching, and jumping to name a few, but overall I think it doesn't take a bunch of energy to do a majority of the caches. So it drives me nuts when I see geocaching referred to as a sport. I played sports or competitive activites majority of my life, and done some physically tough geocaches, even competed in the Texas Challenge, but bottom line is that geocaching doesn't earn the title of a sport.

Now I can see where some cachers consider it a sport b/c the the stat chasing or FTF hunt, but to me it is still a hobby.

......and go with the responses....

I think it's just as much a sport under def 3 as a hobby under def 1. Def. 3 for sport has no mention of winners/losers, uniforms, practice sessions for the big game, playoffs, or championship. If competition--to be better than the next opponent--is necessary for an activity to be called a sport, then are such athletic activities as swimming and bicycling "sports" only if/when engaged in competitively?

I prefer to think of it as:

obsession

[uhb-sesh-uhn]  

Origin:obsession

1510s, "action of besieging," from L. obsessionem, noun of action from obsidere (see obsess). Later, "hostile action of an evil spirit" (like possession but without the spirit actually inhabiting the body). Transferred sense of "action of anything which engrosses the mind"

ob·ses·sion

   /əbˈsɛʃən/ [uhb-sesh-uhn]

1.the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc.

2.the idea, image, desire, feeling, etc., itself.

3.the state of being obsessed.

4.the act of obsessing.

:blink::blink::blink:

Edited by wimseyguy

Certainly lots of caches require a certain amount of prowess or skill...or both.

I don't know about you, but I mostly do it out-of-doors.

Except for the DNFs.

Happens here in the forums all the time.

Another typical day in the forums.

Seems to coincide with #3 above, yes?

2. a child's hobbyhorse.

Nice swag, if you can fit it into the cache.

Once it's dead, we can continue to beat it.

So, all the definitions apply to some degree.

That's the beauty of Geocaching, you can make whatever you want to out of it, to suit your temperament.

I would have used the R.A.S.H. definition, but that was already taken. B)

I think it's a RASH.

Recreation

Adventure or Activity

Sport

Hobby

Yes, I could call it a RASH, as more often than not, I have a poison oak rash these days. It is also and obcession, an addiction, a seemingly silly activity that is difficult to describe to friends, and a game, which is what I call it, when strangers ask me what I am doing, when I am found in an odd place or near THEIR property, crawling around looking suspicious. I don't see it as a sport.

Boy... its been a while since this subject has come up. I guess its about that time again, though.

Its an activity. Period. Yes, it may be an addictive activity for some, but its still just an activity. Notice that both the definition for sport and the definition for hobby use that word.

I was just thinking the same thing until I read your post. Now I don't know what to think. Except that I'm scared for my sanity if I'm thinking along the same lines as you. :lol:

Boy... its been a while since this subject has come up. I guess its about that time again, though.

Its an activity. Period. Yes, it may be an addictive activity for some, but its still just an activity. Notice that both the definition for sport and the definition for hobby use that word.

I was just thinking the same thing until I read your post. Now I don't know what to think. Except that I'm scared for my sanity if I'm thinking along the same lines as you. :lol:

We are going to have quite the activity on Monday, aren't we?

I, myself see it as a sport, just as I see it, it is subject to how it is seen by the individual...

Some see it as a sport....some do not....to me it is just like "racing" because I myself don't consider driving in a circle for hours a sport but alot of people see it differently..

It is very challenging...whether it is having to be stealthy....or putting your mind against other caches to challenge them...My son and I enjoy the sport and it has brought us many many enjoyable memories and above and beyond it all THAT'S what it is truly about for us...Thank you for your time

I just call it a game. I doubt you will ever find consensus on whether it is a sport. Some people still do not think of darts as a sport, although that it is recognized by various international sports councils or governing authorities. Others call bridge a sport. And some if us regard "Calvinball" as a sport. So ultimately caching is whatever you make it to be and can be called whatever you want.

A few cachers of course practice competitive caching. Some claim various records, which might be more sports-like. But in the end nobody is asked to take a drug test, follow the same rules, and the record or any other number is whatever you say it is. So it is a way to have fun, which could be a sport, game, hobby, obsession, or insanity.

Edited by geodarts