Magellan eXplorist 610

If any fellow GCers have some suggestions, they'd be appreciated. At this point, I've received sweet bugger all from MiTAC.

Just bought a new eXplorist 610. Turns on, but does nothing -- likes it's frozen. I can only zoom out to 2000 miles, at which point it does nothing. Camera works, and the top left button will periodically get me a waypoint.

Updated software to version 6.05, but that did absolutely nothing.

Thoughts?

Mine connected less than 5 minutes after installing the batteries.All while sitting on my couch. I wanted it set up and ready to go when my son opened up his present on Christmas morning.As an Apple iPhone tech a frozen unit or one that randomly reboots is usually a sign of a corrupted operating system. If it works when you are outside in an open field, my guess would be major interference around your house. If it still doesn't work, I would return it to the store if you held on to your receipt or contact Magellan as they carry a one year warranty.

I'm pretty happy with the unit, even though it really has more features than I could ever dream of using. Impressive that it works in my basement - you may have gotten a bad unit - it's a pain, but it does happen.

You might save yourself some time by restoring the factory defaults - it will wipe the device and and most likey any corruption.

Restoring Factory Defaults

1. Access the Settings Menu.

2. Tap on the Navigation button.

3. Tap on the Restore Factory Default button.

4. Confirm that you want to restore the factory

defaults.

When the device restarts, it will be exactly as if it just came out of the box.

Mine connected less than 5 minutes after installing the batteries.All while sitting on my couch. I wanted it set up and ready to go when my son opened up his present on Christmas morning.As an Apple iPhone tech a frozen unit or one that randomly reboots is usually a sign of a corrupted operating system. If it works when you are outside in an open field, my guess would be major interference around your house. If it still doesn't work, I would return it to the store if you held on to your receipt or contact Magellan as they carry a one year warranty.

I'm pretty happy with the unit, even though it really has more features than I could ever dream of using. Impressive that it works in my basement - you may have gotten a bad unit - it's a pain, but it does happen.

You might save yourself some time by restoring the factory defaults - it will wipe the device and and most likey any corruption.

Restoring Factory Defaults

1. Access the Settings Menu.

2. Tap on the Navigation button.

3. Tap on the Restore Factory Default button.

4. Confirm that you want to restore the factory

defaults.

When the device restarts, it will be exactly as if it just came out of the box.

I agree Johnny, these days anything that requires batteries is worth the investment in rechargables and even then, the batteries seem to lose their ability to hold their charge after a few months.

I guess we will have to wait awhile longer before they introduce solar power devices. I suspect the Energizer Bunny is behind the delay.

After fighting with my Garmin Colorado 400T for about a year I bought a Magellan Explorist 610. I, too, wish it had better battery life, but, otherwise, I couldn't be happier with it.

Just got a replacement for a wonky 610, it wouldnt turn off, then wouldnt turn on, Mitec determined it was defective and replaced it in two days. I couldn't be happier with the unit and service from Mitec.

Jim

Glad to hear that you were taken care off. Since you're an new eXplorist user I would invite you to join us over at http://www.exploristforum.com. There you'll be able to get more information on using the unit as well as hints on making custom maps for free. There are also a number of Magellan Insiders (Beta Testers) like myself that can help with any problems you might have and if we can't we can contact Magellan directly for you.

David