Kindle Fire by Amazon

amazonstarj

I am wondering if the new Kindle Fire can be used for geocaching.com. It uses the Android OS below are the specs...any information is appreciated ~

7" multi-touch display with IPS (in-plane switching) technology and anti-reflective treatment, 1024 x 600 pixel resolution at 169 ppi, 16 million colors.

Size (in inches) 7.5" x 4.7" x 0.45" (190 mm x 120 mm x 11.4 mm).

Weight 14.6 ounces (413 grams).

System Requirements None, because it's wireless and doesn't require a computer.

On-device Storage 8GB internal (approximately 6GB available for user content). That's enough for 80 apps, plus 10 movies or 800 songs or 6,000 books.

Cloud Storage Free cloud storage for all Amazon content

Battery Life Up to 8 hours of continuous reading or 7.5 hours of video playback, with wireless off. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage, such as web browsing and downloading content.

Charge Time Fully charges in approximately 4 hours via included U.S. power adapter. Also supports charging from your computer via USB.

Wi-Fi Connectivity Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots that use 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, or enterprise networks with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication; does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks.

USB Port USB 2.0 (micro-B connector)

Audio 3.5 mm stereo audio jack, top-mounted stereo speakers.

Content Formats Supported Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, non-DRM AAC, MP3, MIDI,

The Kindle, much like the Nook Color, runs on the Android OS. There are several geocaching apps for Android. These can be loaded through the market, or (if the fire doesnt have access to the full market(Nook did not)) you can try to download the .apk from google and load it manually. This means google-ing the name of the app followed by .apk, finding the file on google, and dropping it into a folder on the kindle. Then unplug the kindle, locate the .apk file in the folder, and execute it to run the installer. This may not work without jailbreaking/nootering, but that is an entirely different beast for a completely different forum :laughing:

However, the kindle fire will have a browser where you can navigate to GC.com and load up cache pages in different tabs. Then you can take these pre-loaded pages with you and plug the coordinates into your GPSr to get you to GZ. Not perfect, but paperless all the same.

I havent tried using my Nook for this yet. I'll give it a go when I get home and post back with the results.

I MAY have gotten off-topic, and for this I apologize.

Edited by Oticus

I am wondering if the new Kindle Fire can be used for geocaching.com. It uses the Android OS below are the specs...any information is appreciated ~

7" multi-touch display with IPS (in-plane switching) technology and anti-reflective treatment, 1024 x 600 pixel resolution at 169 ppi, 16 million colors.

On-device Storage 8GB internal (approximately 6GB available for user content). That's enough for 80 apps, plus 10 movies or 800 songs or 6,000 books.

Battery Life Up to 8 hours of continuous reading or 7.5 hours of video playback, with wireless off. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage, such as web browsing and downloading content.

Charge Time Fully charges in approximately 4 hours via included U.S. power adapter. Also supports charging from your computer via USB.

Wi-Fi Connectivity Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots that use 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, or enterprise networks with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication; does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks.

Content Formats Supported Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, non-DRM AAC, MP3, MIDI,

I didn't see a GPS chip listed in the specs. Since network connectivity is via wifi it would difficult to use maps for navigation so I don't know how it could be used to find caches in the outdoors. I also don't see anything there about water or shock resistance. Since geocaching is a game played outdoors in potentially foul weather, often involving hiking on trails, or crossing streams, even if a device like the Kindle Fire could work for geocaching, something that can withstand the environment would be a lot more appropriate. I could see using one for reading cache listings, and navigating while in a vehicle but as far as I'm concerned, I'm not really geocaching until I've parked the car and left the vehicle in search of the cache. Up to that point, it's just driving.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Thank you for your information on the kindle fire. I found out that I still would need 3G to collect GPS service. But your download information is very helpful.

I don't see anything there about water or shock resistance. Since geocaching is a game played outdoors in potentially foul weather, often involving hiking on trails, or crossing streams, a device like the Kindle Fire might work for geocaching but something that can withstand the environment would be a lot more appropriate. I could see using one for reading cache listings, and navigating while in a vehicle but as far as I'm concerned, I'm not really geocaching until I've parked the car and left the vehicle in search of the cache. Up to that point, it's just driving.

Edited by amazonstarj

I've got the Fire and I wouldn't write it off as useful for geocaching. For several years, I've used an iPod touch with geocaching software that lets me download the webpages, hints, etc. and carry them with me. (That way I didn't have to preplan my trips...I always had the info available -- until it got too old and out of date.) Anyway, I'd use that and one of my many, many handheld GPSrs to go caching. I didn't need anything but WiFi before I left the house (and I downloaded one of the sets of caches I generated with my Premium membership here). I'd like to do that with the larger Fire, but you can't download the software. Amazon allows (and secretly endorses) sideloading of the geocaching applications, but that requires the ability to find (and buy where applicable), the APK executable. I'm too paranoid to download an APK from anywhere but the developer's site. Unfortunately, none of the geocaching software vendors have been willing to sell the android software through anything but the Appstore. (BTW, several have been sideloaded on the Fire and they work great for reviewing the webpage for a cache while in the field with NO CONNECTIVITY required -- just no GPS, so it's info only and paperless logging that gets uploaded when you get home.)

Developers -- make the APK available for the Kindle Fire!

I have one. I don't think it would be very handy for geocaching. It has no GPS, or any way to get the web without WIFI. The only thing it would be useful for is research, and going on this site.

I have one. I don't think it would be very handy for geocaching. It has no GPS, or any way to get the web without WIFI. The only thing it would be useful for is research, and going on this site.

Thanks everyone for your help...no Kindle...back to the iPAD idea.

I wouldn't take any tablet computer out in the field with me where it would be certain to be subjected to rain/snow/drizzle, dust, dirt, bumps, drops, hot, cold, direct sun - etc...

But maybe thats just where I go Geocaching.

I wouldn't take any tablet computer out in the field with me where it would be certain to be subjected to rain/snow/drizzle, dust, dirt, bumps, drops, hot, cold, direct sun - etc...

Same here but where you and I cache I wouldn't take anything but a GPS. (and maybe a cell phone if you can get coverage)

Same here but where you and I cache I wouldn't take anything but a GPS. (and maybe a cell phone if you can get coverage)

I wouldn't take a tablet out in the field either, unless it was specifically designed for that kind of abuse. Depending on what kind of caching you do, there are times a tablet/laptop can be useful. I've used my laptop to look at saved Geocache info, and for puzzle solving stuff. Of course, that was before I became a Premium Member and got access to Pocket Queries. In those cases, the laptop never left the car but was still useful. In the case of caches that require some amount of puzzle solving (Earthcaches, puzzle caches, multi-caches) a portable computer of some type might be useful for that, depending on what kind of GPS device you're using. A Garmin Nuvi for example wouldn't be that good for puzzle solving in the field, but a smartphone, tablet, or even a laptop could be useful depending on what you need to do.

Car navigation might be something else a tablet would be useful for, if the primary device (Say Geomate Jr.) can't do it. Of course, if a device doesn't have cellular internet access, then a mapping program with offline maps would be needed.

Thank you for your information on the kindle fire. I found out that I still would need 3G to collect GPS service. But your download information is very helpful.

Nah, GPS signals can only be received from GPS satellites, mobile signals, 3G or otherwise won't help you. - At least not to the accuracy required for geocaching.

While waiting for Amazon to bring geocaching applications for the Kindle Fire into their app store, I've tried the sideloading approach.

I am also weary of downloading the application (apk) files from anywhere but the official store, so I've used an Android phone that I borrowed to do it.

Here's what I did: 1) Download and install application to Android phone from Google app store, 2) make a backup of the app with backup software. Move backup (also an apk) to computer with USB, 3) move file to Kindle with USB (you could also try emailing), 4) install on Fire with same file explorer/backup tool. No tampering with root access was required.

I've heard, but haven't tested, that this only works with free apps.

As the Fire really can't be used for any kind of navigation, I only use it to have a backup of my GSAK database with me, so I'm using apps that support either gpx-files or GSAK databases. The cache finding I do with my handheld gps device.

If I need online access, the Kindle can take advantage of my phone's wifi hotspot. Since the gc.com webpages are not really tailored for access with small displays, the Fire provides a nice bigger view of the gc.com pages, when needed.

While waiting for Amazon to bring geocaching applications for the Kindle Fire into their app store, I've tried the sideloading approach.

I am also weary of downloading the application (apk) files from anywhere but the official store, so I've used an Android phone that I borrowed to do it.

Here's what I did: 1) Download and install application to Android phone from Google app store, 2) make a backup of the app with backup software. Move backup (also an apk) to computer with USB, 3) move file to Kindle with USB (you could also try emailing), 4) install on Fire with same file explorer/backup tool. No tampering with root access was required.

I've heard, but haven't tested, that this only works with free apps.

As the Fire really can't be used for any kind of navigation, I only use it to have a backup of my GSAK database with me, so I'm using apps that support either gpx-files or GSAK databases. The cache finding I do with my handheld gps device.

If I need online access, the Kindle can take advantage of my phone's wifi hotspot. Since the gc.com webpages are not really tailored for access with small displays, the Fire provides a nice bigger view of the gc.com pages, when needed.

Anyone have a suggestion on a decent backup app to accomplish this? I totally understand that actually caching with a kindle fire is an impossibility, but it could be immensely handy if you have to look at the cache description in the field, and i would be SO much easier than trying to battle my tiny smartphone screen.