Oregon x50 software version 5.20

coggins

"Potential" power-up issue eh? :rolleyes:

No mention of wireless sending, I wonder if it's still hosed...

So far, so good :rolleyes: I selected a number of caches (8) and went through the sequence of GO > LOG ATTEMPT > FOUND. All appeared as found in the Geocaching "Show Found" menu...powered down, up, down, up half a dozen times, and all 8 caches remained on the "Show Found" list. Hopefully the missing found caches problem is history. Then marked 4 new waypoints on my 550t (1,2,3,4), marked 4 new waypoints on a 450 (5,6,7,8) -- wirelessly sent those on the 550t to the 450, and those on the 450 to the 550t. No problems noted...fingers remained crossed.

Bill

"Potential" power-up issue eh? :rolleyes:

No mention of wireless sending, I wonder if it's still hosed...

wireless sending might not have been hosed to begin with, I noticed that mine has to be on the same profile as the other one when I send, then it works great. I will even do it on gpsdemo mode.

My tracks started hiding when I powered off the unit. This newest update fixed that. I called garmin before I found it and they said it was supposed to do that, which puzzled me because that would solve nothing and introduce all new issues, like re-turning on show on map on 40 tracks everytime you turn the unit off!

The problem with the lock up on deleting waypoints when lots of caches are loaded.

... is fixed? ... is still present?

If you delete a waypoint from a large *.gpx (as might be the case with a cache waypoints *.gpx) it can take a bit to rewrite the file, but no lockups. I can imagine why someone might get a little impatient. I've got a 4500 cache load with associated waypoint file, and killing off one waypoint causes the unit to sit and cook on it for about 15 seconds.

If you have lots of caches loaded and you go set up, reset, delete all waypoints, it still locks up and shuts down. On this version after you restart the GPS it goes through and reloads everything and the waypoints are all gone. In earlier versions of the firmware when you would restart the waypoints would still be there. So I guess it is progress.

They also have not fixed the defect where the ETA at designation does not give the correct ETA if your designation is in another time zone. It gives the ETA in the time zone you are in not the time zone of your designation.

The problem with lock on road turning itself on was not fixed in 5.1, its too early to say if 5.20 fixed it.

I just checked and the lock on road bug is not fixed.

Hasn't bit me yet at any firmware level. Is there a particular profile or config where this becomes an issue? I never use mine for road routing, FWIW. My "Guidance Method" has never moved from my original "Off Road" setting, and my "Lock on Road" has always held at my "No" setting. No exceptions.

Hasn't bit me yet at any firmware level. Is there a particular profile or config where this becomes an issue? I never use mine for road routing, FWIW. My "Guidance Method" has never moved from my original "Off Road" setting, and my "Lock on Road" has always held at my "No" setting. No exceptions.

Just checked mine. Still no prob with the 'locked on road' thingy. I used road nav yesterday and all is still well.

Its hard to pin down what triggers the problem. You cannot tell that it has set itself to lock on road until you check the setting or if you are off the road and it shows you on the road. I've had the problem a couple of times in profiles where I do not have on road navigation, but the vast majority of the time it is my automotive profile.

I could understand lock on road back in the day when the GPS was not that accurate. But now a days 99% of the time when the GPS shows you off the road, you are off the road. One time Garmin told me City Navigator was supposed make it authomatically set lock on road. But they back down from it. The last they told me was someone would look into the issue and get back to me. They did not.

Has anyone ever narrowed down what triggers it to turn lock on road? I thought it might have something to do with all the lock ups importing PQs, but they have finally fixed that (right after telling me it was GSAK's fault).

A similar(?) but unrelated(?) issue that happens to me occasionally is that the map is set to "north up" mode after turning the Oregon on, even though I never touch that setting and have it set to "track up" everywhere. I think it gets changed when I open the map, push the little N arrow in the corner to switch it to "north up" temporarily, and then turn the unit off. I never bothered to really try to reproduce that though.

I could understand lock on road back in the day when the GPS was not that accurate.

The problem isn't just old GPS units' accuracy - it's the dirty little secret that there are still some considerable errors in the geolocation of roads, more in some areas than others. You could be within a foot of accuracy and still need road snap to avoid having the unit make it look like you were on a bit of an off-road adventure. These days, when you see a vector map overlaid on a satellite image, chances are good that it's the satellite image that is correctly aligned if there's a significant mismatch.

Don't expect to see them drop that feature any time soon.

A similar(?) but unrelated(?) issue that happens to me occasionally is that the map is set to "north up" mode after turning the Oregon on, even though I never touch that setting and have it set to "track up" everywhere. I think it gets changed when I open the map, push the little N arrow in the corner to switch it to "north up" temporarily, and then turn the unit off. I never bothered to really try to reproduce that though.

Last week my automotive profile all of a sudden was set to North Up. That was the first time that ever happened to me.

I could understand lock on road back in the day when the GPS was not that accurate.

The problem isn't just old GPS units' accuracy - it's the dirty little secret that there are still some considerable errors in the geolocation of roads, more in some areas than others. You could be within a foot of accuracy and still need road snap to avoid having the unit make it look like you were on a bit of an off-road adventure. These days, when you see a vector map overlaid on a satellite image, chances are good that it's the satellite image that is correctly aligned if there's a significant mismatch.

Don't expect to see them drop that feature any time soon.

I've noticed the Census (Tiger) based maps tend to be slightly (50 or so feet) off and CityNavigator is usually correct. On my 550T on an Interstate, it will normally correctly show what lane I am in (lanes are not marked, but it will show me on the correct side of the road). CN tends to also get new updates quickly. The problem is errors in their existing database (and there are lots of them in parks) are extremely difficult to get NavTek to fix. They,ve got a website to report errors, but they just ignore the input. It took me 5 years of complaining to get them to remove a road that has been under a lake for 25 years. I don't understand why they don't utilize input.

ECA & Myotis,

I map a lot of hiking, ATV, Snowmobile, etc. trails and have had as many as 13 copies of exactly the same single track trail that very accurately "stack" on top of each other. That shows the repeatability of, and speaks to the accuracy of the GPS unit. Yet when displayed on SOME topo maps or, more often, aerial photos and satellite imagery, the track shows to be visibly "OFF". Sometimes I'm shown as hiking in space off the edge of a cliff, or some other obviously ridiculous display.

Change the source of the map or imagery and the same track may show differently.

The georeferencing accuracy for different areas varies greatly. (Google Earth is almost a total "Joke" in some areas.)

Most GPS's units are multiple times more accurate than the maps or imagery that we like to see our personally logged GPS data displayed on.

I personally am not going to make a correction to drive or hike "off over there" just because the "picture" says so, when I KNOW the road or trail is "here".

The georeferencing accuracy for different areas varies greatly. (Google Earth is almost a total "Joke" in some areas.)

As you'll know from living here, we've got some real blips here in Colorado with some map providers, even to the point of seeing I-25 offset as much as 150' or more in some areas in the southern part of the state. There are a few spots where certain automotive units (even with current maps) will take you right up an exit ramp since it has been tracking your position to the 'right' of where you've been on the map all along.

Were it not for road-snap features, the display would certainly be 'interesting'!

One thing I find odd is the divergence in geolocation accuracy (specifically, between a satellite and rendered vector road) between Google Earth and Google Maps. For whatever reason, I find that the vector data in the latter case seems to be not only different but where different, more accurate. They're evidently using different source data at times.

Have been seeing some occasional total re-reads of the *.gpx data in this version as well. I'd guess about 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 times when booting, I'm getting the 'green progress bar' even though nothing has been modified in the GPX folder. Anyone else seeing this?

Yes, I've been getting the same thing.

Have been seeing some occasional total re-reads of the *.gpx data in this version as well. I'd guess about 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 times when booting, I'm getting the 'green progress bar' even though nothing has been modified in the GPX folder. Anyone else seeing this?

I'm always seeing the progress bar for a second or two when starting (goes from 0 to 100 instantly), but nothing more. Haven't had a stray full reload yet.

Is the 5.20 firmware supposed to display the cache difficulty and terrain, size and type in the Geocaching Active dashboard? It's been a while since I used this unit and I am "sure" that it used to but I am only seeing the cache name now.

Should look like this: GARMIN link

Thanks for the link.

Hrmm, my "nearest" dashboard has both the compass and the info like that, although it looks totally different. My "active" dashboard looks like this.

fd88a732-9ff5-48a1-bad6-c6c4783d11ef.jpg?rnd=0.5876887

The list of caches is showing the bubbles with the name and info so it works and the info is there.

Hrmm, my "nearest" dashboard has both the compass and the info like that, although it looks totally different. My "active" dashboard looks like this.

fd88a732-9ff5-48a1-bad6-c6c4783d11ef.jpg?rnd=0.5876887

The list of caches is showing the bubbles with the name and info so it works and the info is there.

Mine is like yours. "Nearest" shows the cache details, while "Active" does not.

Is the 5.20 firmware supposed to display the cache difficulty and terrain, size and type in the Geocaching Active dashboard? It's been a while since I used this unit and I am "sure" that it used to but I am only seeing the cache name now.

Should look like this: GARMIN link

That link is for the MONTANA.

Those asking about firmware 5.20 are clearly using Oregon x50 units, and the images they supplied are correct for their units.