Geocaching the game

youcanndoit

I have an idea that Geocaching.com could sponsor. The idea would give really good media attention to the sport.. and probably attract even more people to it.

Why not have a competition of lets say a 100 people each contestant ponies up a $100 to contribute to the prize. Geocaching.com hides the caches either in a certain area a certain state or country... Each of those 100 people would get the GPS coordinates to the first cache.. which would give a clue to the next and so forth.. the winner that finds the last cache in the mad dash would win the 10 grand. But of course this would be better over a wide area.. and really good hidden caches..

If its been done before let me know.

-Jason

Hmmm, how did I guess that

was at the bottom of your post.

When I had 1 post to my name, I thought of ideas like this, and voiced them. Now, that I have a few more, I lurk for a while before posting ideas like this.

I like your thinking, and I applaud your fresh enthusiasm, but I doubt you will get much of a positive response on this idea. Let's wait and see.

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -Dru Morgan

Here is my winning strategy.

Put down my GPS.

Pick up a big stick.

Stalk the leaders.

When one finds the final cache I wack him upside the head and win.

Now every good plan has a flaw and I'm sure mine does do. That's what Colt does for me. Levels the playing field just the way I'd like it.

All in all, maybe it would work, but it's not as simple as you laid it out. Too much room for people who would actually implement my plan and lesser variations.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

I agree with you Renegade knight not as easy as I laid it out..

But with an oversee'r than it could work.. Thats why i was thinking maybe this geocaching.com would be a good non-biased org to sponoser the event.. but again.. it was just a thought.. and believe it could take geocaching to a new level..

who knows.. either way its a fun adventure

quote:
Originally posted by jasoncann:

...and believe it could take geocaching to a new level..

who knows.. either way its a fun adventure

Go out and find a few geocaches! You might find that geocaching doesn't need to be taken to a new level. icon_wink.gif I'm perfectly happy with the level it's at. icon_biggrin.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by pdxmarathonman:

quote:
Caches Found/Hidden: 0/0

I think Marky was making the same point I was going to make.

A good way to take geocaching to the _next_ level is to start!

You gotta love those with 0/0. They are ether WAY tooo new, or are someone just baiting people from a second, third, forth, etc... account.

Zahrim....

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night.

Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

quote:
Originally posted by jasoncann:

...the winner that finds the last cache in the mad dash would win the 10 grand...

If its been done before let me know.

It sounds like orienteering to me. You find that a very large number of cachers would not enter even if it were free. Mad dashes are fun for orienteers, but generally not so for geocachers. Unfortunately, I don't think any of the original MBNA Foxhall Cup threads from the original original forums are still around, or you'd have *plenty* to read about.

(I participated in a GGA challenge event that was expressly designed to *not* turn into a mad dash. That was almost universally considered the best thing about it. On the other hand, someone was hiding high-dollar caches up north and nearly ripped the local geocaching community to shreds because of it. No thanks, I'll stick to McToys.)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System