little kid friendly indicator?

GeoTeamLeBlanc

I held off looking for our first cache for about 10 months after signing-up on the site because my son had just turned 2. I always planed on caching as Father-Son activity until my wife bought me a GPSR a few weeks ago and I couldn’t wait any longer. We had a great time finding our first cache together but being just under 3 makes it tough for him to hike into the wood or up much of an incline. He liked finding the box in the woods, but it was tough on Dad carrying him 500 ft. off the trail.

I’m sure it has been mentioned before, but I would like to put in a vote for some kind of little kid friendly indicator on the cache pages. Get them while they are young and you keep them forever.

Fear not, I’m sufficiently hooked. I went out today with my brother in-law. And picked up 3 more finds. The little guy spent the afternoon in the pool.

(btw – This is my first post to any message board in and long time so be gentile)

Thanks.

Tim of

Geo Team LeBlanc

"Ernie, you've got a banana in your ear." "I'm sorry Bert. I can't hear you -- I've got this banana in my ear."

There are many types of icons that people would find useful. icons to show a park is dog or other animal friendly, handicap accessable, night caching allowed, etc. The problem is that there are so many choices that once that path is used, it's hard not to use it again and again an soon you have a ton of icons you have no clue what the meaning is. Another problem is the fact that there's no definition of a "kid". Some would want 3s, others 5-6.

Since a kid-friendly icon learn about the overall difficulty and terrain indicators and what the different levels are. The official system can be found at http://www.clayjar.com/gcrs/. Encourage its use on local caches so there is consistency.

Finally, the thing I found most useful at the beginning was not to take my daughter on all the hunts. Find some you think your sone may like then do them yourself. Once you know where it is and that the cache does exist, bring him along and go through the motions. Monitor his reaction during the hunt and get him closer and closer before HE finds it.

It's a good idea but as Team Dragon said the definition gets a little fuzzy about what that actually means. The kids hate long searches at the general location much less when we can't find it. That can put them off the idea for a while and I keep a few that only I've found in reserve so I know the next time will be a positive experience for them.

We generally do it as a family so our find count is only slowly moving up but it's something we do that is special for everyone in the family.